(Archived) How to convert text image to plain text ?

Mata Hari

Idea

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You would need to retype the content (if it's short) or get some OCR software to convert it. (I believe there are some online services that will do this for you.)

The EN text version of images isn't available to you, though if you right-click a PDF file you can choose to download the EN text version.

So: save your text as a PDF file, upload and wait for EN to OCR it, then download the content. Simples.

Save your text as a PDF file, upload and wait for EN to OCR it, then download the content. Simples

I don't think I need to upload it, since it is done automatically. I can press the sync button to sync right now but it is not necessar. It is uploaded since more than 24 hours and nothing happens.

It is not a pdf, I cant save it as pdf. The command "save as" saves it as png automatically, no other options are at hand.

So I still wonder what you mean ?

• Level 5*

Sorry, should have been more exact. To "save text as PDF" you would need to use software that can translate a picture or an ASCII text file into PDF format, which is a specific document description language like Word .doc or .docx.

You'd be looking for something like ScanDrop's desktop client which scans and saves to PDF, or for Foxit / Nuance / Nitro (or even Adobe) software that can also create PDF files. Whatever you're looking at your PNG files with, it obviously doesn't offer that option.

Some OCR (optical character recognition) software will take a PNG file and output plain text which might be another way to get where you want to be.

How can I make editable text out of it ? Do I have OCR in EN ?

Evernote does NOT provide the text from the image as editable note text.

You need to get another Mac app to OCR you images, and process the image outside of EN.

Do a Google search on "OCR Mac software" and you'll get lots of choices.

I have bad experience with google search for free programs; I do not have time to test every ***** out there : what I do then ? I look for OCR in the App Store. Those programs are at least not fake even though they are not free. There is one called ABC, very cheap. Has anyone tested that ?

I have bad experience with google search for free programs;

Google search will return both free and for-purchase programs.

I have found Google to be a great tool, with a little bit of due diligence.

Have you tried appending "review" to the Google search?

You can also search the Mac forums (Apple, MacWorld, MacRumors, etc) for discussions, recommendations.

Archived