REQUEST: Different sort order for each notebook

I would like to be able to sort each notebook individually by a different parameter (e.g. date, title, etc).

There are a couple notebooks I use as a timeline of data and want sorted by date added. There are others I use as reference material and I would like those sorted by name.

Perhaps a default sort selection in Preferences then the ability to select a different / specific sort order in each notebook.

Having the ability to apply different sorts to different notebooks would be a great addition.

+1 on this. Some notebooks are best alphabetical, such as a listing of songs, and some are best by date, like receipts. Would be great for it to remember sort on a notebook-by-notebook basis.

Brian

My wish has been rather to be able to specify sort order in searches (Saved Searches as well).

This would be huge!

I work daily with an ERP system that provides Saved Search capability. The features I find useful, in order of importance, are:

1. [*:18cgaws1]Provide comprehensive, but easy-to-use criteria (Like "Modified Date WITHIN Last Month")
    [*:18cgaws1]Specify sort order with multiple fields
    [*:18cgaws1]Specify which fields/columns are displayed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

As I read through this forum, I am struck by the number of excellent suggestions that have not yet been implemented. Evernote has many good qualities, but I would argue that as people use EN to store more information, the affordances EN provides to make sense of that information, i.e. organize, sort, highlight, and summarize, will be essential for people to continue using the tool for anything more than a digital shoebox.

Please consider enhancing EN to save the sort order of the notes as well as the search criteria when a search is saved.

Thank you.

• Level 5*

As I read through this forum, I am struck by the number of excellent suggestions that have not yet been implemented. Evernote has many good qualities, but I would argue that as people use EN to store more information, the affordances EN provides to make sense of that information, i.e. organize, sort, highlight, and summarize, will be essential for people to continue using the tool for anything more than a digital shoebox.

Please consider enhancing EN to save the sort order of the notes as well as the search criteria when a search is saved.

Thank you.

We're full of great ideas! But, the road from idea to implementation across over a dozen platforms in an app that has over twenty million (?) users is a long one. One step at a time :)

• Level 5*

If Evernote would only add "sort order" to the Search (and Saved Search) syntax it would solve a bunch of requests.

Then, those who want to sort each NB differently could just create a Saved Search with the sort order.

• 2 weeks later...

All great ideas here on this topic - I'd like to add one more...

I would LOVE the ability to be able to manually rearrange (drag and drop) the sort order of my notes within any given notebook myself, and then have EN save the sort order by default any time it changes. I'm now beginning to use EN as a scriptwriting outline tool, and it's actually working great so far. But I'd love the ability to be able to create scenes at random, and then later rearrange them, trying out different orders, etc... Sorting by date and/or title isn't that helpful in this particular regard, so to be able to have auto-save per notebook (at the notebook level in addition to global), PLUS manual rearrange would absolutely make EN my default note-taking app for a LOOOOOONG time to come - love being able to create a note and then be able to just pick up where I left off as I move between my iMac, iPad, and iPhone - brilliant!

Cheers,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

+1 Only just realized this wasn't already in effect. I have some journal entries that I've been transcribing, so I sort them by title and start the note with the date. But I moved to my other journal...lo and behold, sorting by title didn't work there as well.

• 8 months later...

Sorry if this has been dragged to death, or if I'm in wrong area.

Evernote is a powerful tool for me, cross desktop, laptop, android. Realize that it is not supposed to be a feature rich wordprocessor, and I don't expect it to do things that are just not practical, for the app that it is.

Sort Order per Individual Notebooks would add a very useful, and much requested, feature.

Please consider putting this into the wish list for the development team.

They have done a tremendous job on this app, with regards to utility value, and such a feature would only add value to an already good product, and it is an easy feature to impliment.

What you would get back in the way of utility value benefit to the costs of working it into the app would be so way worth the time.

I cannot imagine that such a feature would really take much work.

[Mod: merged to identical topic]

• Level 5*

Sorry if this has been dragged to death, or if I'm in wrong area.

Evernote is a powerful tool for me, cross desktop, laptop, android. Realize that it is not supposed to be a feature rich wordprocessor, and I don't expect it to do things that are just not practical, for the app that it is.

Sort Order per Individual Notebooks would add a very useful, and much requested, feature.

Please consider putting this into the wish list for the development team.

They have done a tremendous job on this app, with regards to utility value, and such a feature would only add value to an already good product, and it is an easy feature to impliment.

What you would get back in the way of utility value benefit to the costs of working it into the app would be so way worth the time.

I cannot imagine that such a feature would really take much work.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I like your suggestion, and I have also asked for this in the past as well. That said, with an API for developers, apps on nearly every major platform, and millions of users all over the world, I don't imagine anything is an "easy" feature to implement :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

If Evernote would only add "sort order" to the Search (and Saved Search) syntax it would solve a bunch of requests.

Then, those who want to sort each NB differently could just create a Saved Search with the sort order.

Noted and put a plus bajillion behind it

DLU, over a year ago you added a "bajillion" votes to my suggestion.  I'm not sure how many that is, but it sounds like a lot.  :D

Since then, many users have continued to ask for this.

Any chance this really cool, really helpful, feature might get some attention in the near future?

Thanks for your help.

• 4 months later...

+1 from me too

I am in th esame boat - just sorted the notes in one notebook alphabetically, and got a nasty surprise when I realized all other notebooks were the same.

Would be so useful to include sort order as a notebook preference.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Level 5*

Moved to a feedback forum to be better addressed as a feature request.  Please indicate your support for this request using the voting buttons in the upper left corner Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 6.42.46 AM.png

For myself, my plan is to use a script (Mac/Applescript) to jump to differnet search views.  It would apply sort parameters at the same time

Being able to sort different notebooks by different criteria, and have the application remember which sort to use for which notebook would be HUGE. I definitely need to sort certain notebooks by title, others by date, and yet another by tag. Having to switch the sorting when swapping between notebooks is very frustrating. I am somewhat surprised this has not yet been implemented.

Archived