(Archived) Evernote for Bible Organization/Research Question

Evernote - Pastors / church leaders / bible study people need to be organized, and many of them are now tech savvy. Consider contacting some of the online Bible developers. Set up a snipping tool and they can use for reference. Thanks ! If you get it I will market it for you to HealingPlaceChurch.org They love tech and Jesus ! It will spread like fire

We've actually had a lot of positive feedback from clergy, including numerous bloggers. I agree that it's a good fit.

And I think that the Olive Tree Bible Reader application for the iPhone/iPad is in our top 3 partner applications (as measured by number of Evernote users that integrate to their accounts through it).

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I am brand new to Evernote (less than 48 hours)...so all suggestions are appreciated.

I am a minister and I have a interesting (aka ancient :( )filing system. I have an individual green hanging file for all 66 books of the Bible. Additionally, every book of the Bible which has more than 10 chapters (which is most of them) gets a manila sub file for each individual chapter. When I come across a magazine article/ interesting commentary in a book I would like to reference later which addresses a certain book and chapter: I copy/print/staple and then file accordingly. When I am preparing a sermon/series I pull that file and review.

Now that it is 2011 I am attempting to come out of the dark ages of filing. I understand that evernote has a 250 folder limit and thus I would run out of notebooks. Do you have any recommendations of how I can bring my system which I love into the paperless world?

Thanks!

Put simply: Use tags, forget about folders.

I went back and forth with different organisation schemes before I finally settled on my current one.

I have 2 note books. One is like an 'in tray' and everything goes there to get dealt with, before it goes into the single, other notebook. Stuff in the in tray folder gets reviewed and tagged and moved to the other notebook once it has been processed.

The tags (and EN's other search capabilities) allow me to pull out exactly what I'm looking for. The advantage for me is the flexibility. You can have multiple tags per note. But a note can only be in a single notebook. For me, tags beat notebooks to the extent that I don't need any of the other notebooks I used to maintain.

You could have a tag for each chapter, and a tag for each chapter. You could then have tags for different topics or content within each clipping or article, etc.

• Level 5*

Also agree that tags are *much* better than folders a) when you get used to them and :) when you can keep them consistent. Due respect to this topic, the subject has a simple enough structure that tags are easy enough to implement. I'd say there are times when Notebooks do have some uses - mainly when you need to exclude a collection of notes from a search. In the interests of keeping search results uncluttered without getting too creative in the search commands, I have a "library" folder for instructional / informative PDFs and press cuttings, and an "archive" folder for stuff that's finished with but I'm too mean to throw out. I also plan an offline "inbox" folder for all new stuff waiting to be tagged and moved into one of the other categories. Searches on the main notebook only give me more relevant results - I can always include more / all notebooks if I'm interested.

Archived