(Archived) Evernote for MacOS 2.2 Beta 2

Philip Constantinou

Idea

Hey folks -

We've published a beta for Evernote for Mac with a bunch of great new features that we'd love you to try.

In the first beta we added Note links, which provides an easy way to create web-like-links between notes. You can also place note links into other applications or documents too. In this case, when you click on note links, Evernote will launch and the associated note will open. To create a note link, right click on one or more notes, select "Copy Note Link". The note links are placed on the clipboard. You can paste them into other notes, calendar entries, or web pages. Note links don't contain any security information. If you give a note link to someone who doesn't have access to your notes, the note link will be useless.

In this latest beta we've also added the ability to copy notes. To copy a note, right click on it. You can copy notes between your own notebooks or shared notebooks and your personal account. You may only copy one note. At the bottom of the Copy to Notebook sub-menu you can see that we've provided some options that allow you to configure how copy handles tags and create dates.

This version also fixes a bug when searching for CJK characters.

Please check for updates or give it a try at the link below.

http://s.evernote.com/mac2preview

28 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
When I try to install (drag the app to app folder via the .dmg), I get 2 errors:

"Cannot install because EvernoteHelper is in use" ( I had just restarted, and no apps were even open)

and

"Cannot install because item 'Resources' is in use"

I've tried everything, rebooting, making sure EN is not open, and nothing will let me install. I do a system search for Evernote Helper and nothing is found. Now I have a serious problem in that I can't even OPEN my Evernote for Mac account. I've quit installing this beta and wanted to stick with the regular, and no matter what I install, the app is corrupted.

Anybody else have this problem?

Have you opened a support case? http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/#inquiry

• Level 5*
I love the new Copy To Notebook functionality. I am using this to create a notebook full of templates. However, I would like to make a suggestion for how this function works. I would like to see Evernote open the new note after it creates it.

Currently I'm using a "template" Note to create ~50 Notes . . .

However, for this kind of process, it would be very inconvenient if, as mhyatt requested, it always opened the new note after creating it.

I would also love an Option that allows us to rename the Title of the new Note different from the Template title.

I also would prefer that the new note be opened, ready to edit.

What would be the purpose in making 50 copies at one time?

In any case, if the new Note was opened, then you could do what you want: Change the Note Title.

Then a quick click closes the new note if you so desire.

So it seems like opening the new note would serve both of our purposes. :)

I love the new Copy To Notebook functionality. I am using this to create a notebook full of templates. However, I would like to make a suggestion for how this function works. I would like to see Evernote open the new note after it creates it.

I also love the Copy To Notebook functionality.

Currently I'm using a "template" Note to create ~50 Notes. Luckily, the Note menu give us the quick option to Copy again to the same Notebook, sweet.

However, for this kind of process, it would be very inconvenient if, as mhyatt requested, it always opened the new note after creating it.

So -- I suggest that, at best, this be a new Option, like the option to carry forward the tags.

I would also love an Option that allows us to rename the Title of the new Note different from the Template title.

Well, I'll probably think of much more, meanwhile -- thanks to Evernote staff!

Is that all you are trying to do?

Just open the note you want to edit and minimise the app window.

OS X and Windows apps are never going to behave exactly the same way and I'm glad of it - that's why I use a Mac, I don't want all the baggage and ***** that Windows brings. Instead of looking for extra configurations, sometimes it's easier just to do the simple thing.

I don't think you understand the workflow, nor how EN Win operates.

I don't want to open the note in a separate window. That just adds complexity.

This is NOT a Windows vs Mac UI issue. It is about having the same ability to show/hide the panels on the EN app on both clients.

In EN Win, I can have just the Note panel displayed (like my image), but then I can quickly/easily press F6, or F11, or F10 to show one of the other panels for a quick operation. Then another press of the function key and I'm back to just showing the Note panel.

• Level 5*

Is that all you are trying to do?

Just open the note you want to edit and minimise the app window.

OS X and Windows apps are never going to behave exactly the same way and I'm glad of it - that's why I use a Mac, I don't want all the baggage and ***** that Windows brings. Instead of looking for extra configurations, sometimes it's easier just to do the simple thing.

Request: Please give the EN Mac client the same show/hide features that the EN Win client has had almost since the public beta last year.

I would be most helpful to setup the EN Mac App window to look like this EN Win App window to focus on Note editing:

[attachment=0]EN_Win_Clean_Note_Area.png[/attachment]

Sorry for the large image, but it's the only way to really show the benefit of this.

Note: click on the image to display the full image.

Thanks.

I love the new Copy To Notebook functionality. I am using this to create a notebook full of templates. However, I would like to make a suggestion for how this function works. I would like to see Evernote open the new note after it creates it. Here's why.

My current workflow looks like this:

1. [*:1tht5dcw]Select my Templates notebook.
    [*:1tht5dcw]Select the template (note) I want to use.
    [*:1tht5dcw]Right click and select Copy to Notebook.
    [*:1tht5dcw]Select the destination notebook.*
    [*:1tht5dcw]Move to the destination notebook.*
    [*:1tht5dcw]Select the newly created note.*
    [*:1tht5dcw]Open the note.*

What I am suggesting is that Evernote immediately opens the newly-created note, eliminating the last four steps (marked with an asterisk) in my workflow. I am sure others would find this helpful, too.

I like your suggestion. It really works like "Create New from Template" in a lot of other apps, so I would expect many users to be familiar with this workflow.

I guess the only question is: What is the primary use case for EN "Copy Note"?

If it is for creating a new Note based on a template, and this is how most users will use the "Copy Note" feature, then it seem advisable to change the behavior of EN Copy Note much like you described. The only change I would make is the last step, "Open the Note". Since creating a new Note does NOT open it in a separate window, I don't think the "Copy Note" workflow should do so either. Just open the new note in the EN Note Edit pane as normal.

If the user has a different objective (like just making a backup copy of a note), then a simple click on the new "Back" button should return the active Note to the original Note, where the user can continue to edit if desired.

There are a few other EN Win features that appear to be missing in EN Mac:

• [*:1vhu9i0z]Show/Hide the Note List (F11 in EN Win)
    [*:1vhu9i0z]Show/Hide the Left Panel of Notebooks/Tags/etc (F10 in EN Win)
    [*:1vhu9i0z]Show/Hide the Note Editing Panel (CTRL-F11 in EN Win)
    [*:1vhu9i0z]Tags column is not available in Note List

Hey Phil, any chance of getting just the shortcuts for show/hide of the Note List and Note Editing panels any time soon?

I think this would really help the Mac operation, and maybe address other's concerns about EN Mac clutter.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, there are two operations hanging off the right click menu: Copy Note / and Copy Note / Notebook... The former copies notes without tags. The latter allows you to preserve the tags, updated and created dates as well as choosing the destination notebook. I don't know whether this works the same on the Mac.

" I have now created a notebook called “Templates.” I have checklists and other template formats that I use on a regular basis."

How do you do this!?! That is exactly what I've spend weeks trying to figure out how to do. I want to create a templet (the main thing I'm looking for is Double Spaced) and make it easy to pop into a new note. I can not for the life of me figure out how to do this with Evernote.

Hey folks -

We've published a beta for Evernote for Mac with a bunch of great new features that we'd love you to try. . .

Thanks for the upgrade. I really appreciate you guys keeping the EN Mac client up with the EN Win client.

Speaking of that, there is one major EN Win feature that has been missing from EN Mac for months: Assign Tags window (CTRL-ALT-T in EN Win). It would be most appreciated if you could get the EN Mac updated for this ASAP. These is no way on the Mac to assign tags to multiple Notes at once.

There are a few other EN Win features that appear to be missing in EN Mac:

• [*:24qfgbcm]Show/Hide the Note List (F11 in EN Win)
    [*:24qfgbcm]Show/Hide the Left Panel of Notebooks/Tags/etc (F10 in EN Win)
    [*:24qfgbcm]Show/Hide the Note Editing Panel (CTRL-F11 in EN Win)
    [*:24qfgbcm]Tags column is not available in Note List

Please advise if there is a way to show/hide these panels on the Mac.

Thanks.

When I try to install (drag the app to app folder via the .dmg), I get 2 errors:

"Cannot install because EvernoteHelper is in use" ( I had just restarted, and no apps were even open)

and

I've tried everything, rebooting, making sure EN is not open, and nothing will let me install. I do a system search for Evernote Helper and nothing is found. Now I have a serious problem in that I can't even OPEN my Evernote for Mac account. I've quit installing this beta and wanted to stick with the regular, and no matter what I install, the app is corrupted.

Anybody else have this problem?

and

I love the new Copy To Notebook functionality. I am using this to create a notebook full of templates. However, I would like to make a suggestion for how this function works. I would like to see Evernote open the new note after it creates it. Here's why.

My current workflow looks like this:

1. [*:1knx9mbh]Select my Templates notebook.
    [*:1knx9mbh]Select the template (note) I want to use.
    [*:1knx9mbh]Right click and select Copy to Notebook.
    [*:1knx9mbh]Select the destination notebook.*
    [*:1knx9mbh]Move to the destination notebook.*
    [*:1knx9mbh]Select the newly created note.*
    [*:1knx9mbh]Open the note.*

What I am suggesting is that Evernote immediately opens the newly-created note, eliminating the last four steps (marked with an asterisk) in my workflow. I am sure others would find this helpful, too.

Thanks for a great product. It is an indispensable tool in my productivity toolbox.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you for the ability to copy notes to shared folders.

Please can you review the logic that is used to sort the shared folders display when you go to copy a note. I currently have about 30 shared folders and the are appearing in some random order. It is not alphabetical and it does not appear to be by date either ?

Thank you again

I tried improved Korean character search support, I found significant improvement in PDFs, but not in JPEGs or Images.

Its some sorts of weirds, and I'll going to keep researching it, but In currently it is not improved as much I had expected before.

Thanks

• Level 5*

No problem - as I read the 'release note' it seemed to be core to the new functionality so we tried it out.

Then we joked about how useless you all are as Hudson reported a broken build for the 3rd time today :D

Awesome!

I love the note links! Finally I can link between my notes and create connections :D

That is something that almost made me give up Evernote in the past and look for a more Wiki-like software.

Thanks a lot!

I love the Copy Note feature. I have now created a notebook called “Templates.” I have checklists and other template formats that I use on a regular basis. Previously, it was a hassle to use these. I had to export the template and then re-import it. This makes it VERY quick.

Thanks for continuing to improve Evernote. Love it!

• Level 5*

Just sent a colleague a note link to a note in a shared notebook with Adium and Apple Mail. He gets a "Invalid Note Link" error message when he clicks on it.

When he gives me the link, I get the same error.

He has all the correct permissions and can edit the note in his own Mac client.

Archived