(Archived) Insufficient sdcard space...

cadre126

Hi. I've been using Evernote for about a month now on my Motorola Droid X and generally I've been pleased with it. Yesterday, while trying to add to my shopping list, I received this message: ""insufficient sdcard space". I deleted about a dozen pictures and a few songs from my card but I continue to get the same error message. It won't even let me in remove items from notes I already have.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks.

cadre

Hi,

Evernote checks for atleast 100 MB free space on the sdcard space to continue operation.

Pls make sure that your sdcard has more than 100 MB free space available.

I hope this solves your problem.

Thanks,

Hemant

• 4 months later...
So to not get those annoying "insufficient space.." notifications at every sync I need to leave 100mb of my 1gb sdcard empty?

This solution is not very friendly towards smaller sdcards and older phones. Surely there would be a better solution?

2-4 gb SD cards are inexpensive & have been pretty common for many years. If your phone is so old that it only supports up to 1 gb SD card, then you're probably out of luck.

Come on man, I am on 32 GB in addition to having 16GB built in. To truly enjoy Evernote experience I think you should put a bigger card, they are very cheap now a days.

But I do want to know from Evernote about how can move Evernote data and app from built in drive to SD Card as I am running out of the 16GB built in space (not because of Evernote though)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Got a small additional question so I'm bumping this before submitting a separate topic.

I used to get this warning often when I had a smaller SD card but just recently encountered it again. No worries, I understand local data storage and management are personal choices and you can't "blame" Evernote for that.

However, I do wonder why exactly the app needs this amount of space in the first place. I already have offline search and local notebooks unchecked, and I rely on the app solely as an interface to my online account (broadband is everywhere and my plan is good enough). So what needs to be chached locally?

Isn't the whole point of an online service that you fetch what you need when you need it? I'm sure there's a technical explanation which I'm happy to accept, but in my mind online means online, not "online but stuff needs to go local too"...

Or isn't that Cloud all it's made up to be? ;)

Related to storage .... why are my photos from notes that have ALREADY BEEN SYNCED still remaining in the following two places:

sd/Evernote/unsavednotes folder - I would think this would definitely need to disappear

dcim/Camera folder - is there a setting to not save EN note photos mixed in locally to the phone's camera folder? this might be a hardware thing - I'm on Spring Photon 4G

I'd like the photo files to be long gone after a successful sync to the EN cloud (without manually deleting of course) .....

• 1 month later...

Dear evernote friends:

You really scrub it!

On one side small sd cards may be as old as Windows 3.11 is for USA, Europe or any tech-developed country. There are other countries where sd cards smaller that 4gb are really common. In fact where I live, in Argentina, there is really a few people who have 8gb or higher. So, you are voluntary leaving us out of market such as having 100mb free FOR NOTES is not a possibility. Come on!! They are only notes, 10mb its a lot of space for notes. Also they are suppoused to be on the cloud! Which, apparently they are not because I keep recieving the annoying message ("insufficiente sd...").

Till now I've been talking in name of other people in "under-developed" countries because in my particular case I do have a big sd card. I've a 32gb card, and still don't have 100mb free. I bought the big card because I like to have lot of music and take lots of pictures. Why should I leave 100mb free for NOTES! Just text!!

I was really happy with this app but you guys really scrub it! Now I'll have to look for some other product with the same features.

Sincerly,

Diego

• 2 months later...

I have this same problem on my Toshiba Thrive 10" tablet.

More than 2GB free on both internal storage AND the sdcard (which, like all sdcards in new versions of Android, is NOT writable).

Pretty bogus, and rather obnoxious that we can't find more detailed info about what precisely is the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like a response to Nils Geylen please? I don't need to store notebooks locally on my device. Or search them there either. I just want to create and upload notes. In order to do that, do I have to become a premium member and turn off local storage on all my notebooks? I use the Android EN app on my phone.

thanks

Mike

• Level 5*
I'd like a response to Nils Geylen please?

The obvious answer that comes to mind for his question "So what needs to be chached locally?" is that even if you're online, it going to be a lot faster to retrieve note content from your local storage than it is to fetch it from the Evernote servers.

I don't need to store notebooks locally on my device. Or search them there either. I just want to create and upload notes. In order to do that, do I have to become a premium member and turn off local storage on all my notebooks? I use the Android EN app on my phone.

I don't see what his question has to do with yours. You should be able to create and upload notes from a free account. If that's the case, you have a different problem, and you should describe it here, and/or open a support inquiry.

• Level 5*

okay ... my phone's SD card is full of EN notebooks. I don't want to store them on my phone, but I do want to to write and upload notes. How do I tell the EN client on my phone not to store locally and how do I remove the current data that is on the SD card.

You should be able to go into Settings / Clear Cache to remove notes stored on your SD card.

• 9 months later...

This seems like a Big Problem.

I read where people store every document they have in Evenote.  Some people have, like, 8,000 notes on Evenote.  That's a lot of gigs' worth of notes.  If those people run EN on their phones, are they storing all those documents on their phones? I mean, when EN devices sync with the server, all the notes are copied to every device, right?

I can't store every document on my phone; my phone doesn't have that much memory.  How do they do it? 

It would be nice if the notes were stored on the server (not the phone), and then you could search for a particular note by date, tag, key word, whatever.  Is this possible?

• Level 5*

I read where people store every document they have in Evenote.  Some people have, like, 8,000 notes on Evenote.  That's a lot of gigs' worth of notes.  If those people run EN on their phones, are they storing all those documents on their phones? I mean, when EN devices sync with the server, all the notes are copied to every device, right?

Yes, notebooks marked as offline on a particular device have a copy of each of the notes in the notebook copied onto that device.

I can't store every document on my phone; my phone doesn't have that much memory.  How do they do it?

Evernote only maintains full note copies for notes in offline notebooks (this is a premium feature, by the way). Notes not in an offline notebook can get downloaded and cached if you try to view them, but the cache is not guaranteed to persist, so when you're offline, they may be unavailable, except for certain note data: note title, date info, tags, search info (I think these are all available anyways)

It would be nice if the notes were stored on the server (not the phone), and then you could search for a particular note by date, tag, key word, whatever.  Is this possible?

The notes are stored on the server, and made available as you need them; as already noted above, certain note data is kept on the local device, just not all of the note content.
  • Level 5

But I do want to know from Evernote about how can move Evernote data and app from built in drive to SD Card as I am running out of the 16GB built in space (not because of Evernote though)

After reading other Evernote forum Android posts + replies, you cannot move Evernote data from the internal storage to the external micro SD card.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39465-evernote-access-micro-sd-on-android/

• 3 weeks later...

After reading other Evernote forum Android posts + replies, you cannot move Evernote data from the internal storage to the external micro SD card.

My Evernote database is about 600 MB - so won't be able to use Evernote on mobile.

I wish Evernote stored its database on external card - like many other apps.

• Level 5

My Evernote database is about 600 MB - so won't be able to use Evernote on mobile.

Yeah, it is disappointing considering how much Evernote hypes their "multi-platform" capabilities. I am in a worse situation - my database is over 4 GB. The only work-around solution suggested by Evernote is to create a 2nd Evernote account and split the data - keep most on the Windows or Mac client, and a small amount on the mobile. Far too much of a bother for me, so I ended up removing the entire program from my phone. I don't really need have a need to click photos of my meals at restaurants anyways.

• Level 5*

Yeah, it is disappointing considering how much Evernote hypes their "multi-platform" capabilities. I am in a worse situation - my database is over 4 GB. The only work-around solution suggested is is to create a 2nd Evernote account and split the data - keep most on the Windows or Mac client, and a small amount on the mobile. Far too much of a bother for me, so I ended up removing the entire program from my phone. I don't really need have a need to click photos of my meals at restaurants anyways.

I have an online notebook that holds notes I sync to other devices. You don't have to create a new account. Just select the notebook (s) you want to download. Of course, if you have heaps of notes, it sounds like some users are maxing out their space with just the headers (not the note content, but the note titles and the like that get automatically downloaded). If that is the case, then you are out of luck, I am afraid.

Archived