Feature Request - Rotate JPG and PDF files

Hello,

I wanted to make a feature request. It would be extremely useful if I could rotate the scans I have in Evernote right in the application. Right now I have to go into Photoshop to rotate a JPG and Acrobat to rotate a PDF and having the ability to rotate these types of files right in Evernote would be useful to me and I am sure others. Does anyone else see this as a useful feature?

All the best,

Cliff

This has been discussed a lot already, on the board. Currently, you can double click the image/pdf in an Evernote note & the default editer/viewer will be invoked & pull in the image/PDF where you can annotate, resize, crop, rotate, etc. This way, the EN team doesn't have to spend time adding the various features that all the users want into EN. It's also very flexible b/c those who are familiar with Photoshop can use it. Those who want to use Paint can use it.

• 8 months later...

This.

I looove the integration with ScanSnap but ScanSnap's "auto-rotate" doesn't always work.

I agree that features should be added judiciously or not at all, but rotating an upside-down image seems like a common use case and functionality that could be tucked away in a right-click menu.

but rotating an upside-down image seems like a common use case

As is resizing, annotating, etc. (Depends upon who you talk to - every user seems to have their own set of "all I need is...")

It's doubtful EN will do this inherently, especially, since EN recently acquired Skitch. Per one report, after Skitch is rolled out on Windows, they will work on adding features. I'm guessing image rotation may be one feature that will eventually be added to Skitch.

Unless & until then, you'll need to use your own third party image editor.

• 1 month later...

I registered just so I could reply and add myself to the list of users who'd like this feature.

I don't want to have to open another program to properly view the PDF - 99 times out of 100 I am using the EN preview window only.

• 2 months later...

And can somebody point me in the direction of a free PDF reader that can easily rotate and save it back, so it will be updated in Evernote? All the ones I tried only seem to rotate the view, without being able to save it. I use Windows by the way.

• Level 5

I looove the integration with ScanSnap but ScanSnap's "auto-rotate" doesn't always work.

After scanning hundreds thousands of documents with ScanSnap, I ran into my first incorrectly rotated scan.

The image was faint.

I drew a straight horizontal line across the document using a ruler and a blue pen.

When I rescanned it, it was aligned correctly.

• 10 months later...

I am a brand new Evernote user and I'm wondering how I've managed to get along without it all this time.  But from almost the first day, when a note's image  scanned in upside down, I've wanted  to be able to invert the image in my notes so I can read it.  Yes, I've figured out how to create a separate PDF file and invert that and save it for another purpose, but the imagine in the note remains upside down!  So, I hereby joint in the line with people requesting this feature with both feet!

• 5 months later...

Seriously, a task so simple yet so necessary, I'm surprised it's even being debated. We really need this. There are too many reasons as to why a scan doesn't make it to the computer or to EN in the right rotation already and it's too cumbersome to have to add to the workflow a third party to get done something so simple. 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

There still doesn't seem to be a rotating feature in evernote for windows desktop. It is quite awkward and very unpractical not to be able to do rotate an image, whilst I can annotate the picture in an advanced way with arrows and whatever else. Can this rotating function please be added?

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2015 at 11:44 AM, csihilling said:

Images can be rotated in EN Windows desktop by right clicking the image and selecting the option.

Yes, images can be rotated, but not PDFs. I can right-click an image and have the rotate option show up in the menu, but it's not there when you right-click on a PDF. Very frustrating, especially when you are scanning in multiple sheets and don't notice until later that one came in upside down. When I double click on the PDF it takes me to Adobe Acrobat Reader where I can rotate it, but not save it and return to Evernote. Seems like a simple add-on for the next update. Please add it!

Archived