(Archived) Adding tags to a shared notebook

If I share a notebook to another user and allow them to modify the notebook. They can add notes, modify notes but they are not allowed to add tags that don't already exist in the notebook. Are there plans to change this? It would be nice to be able to allow a user to add new tags to a shared notebook.

Thanks,

• Level 5*

The behavior is by design. I've seen Dave Engberg (Evernote's CTO) post on this in the forums before; you could try to do a search to find the reasons. If I recall correctly, it's basically so that other users cannot "pollute" the tag space of the person sharing the notebook with external tags.

thanks, I will search to see if I can find the posting you are talking about. if that is the reason then I disagree with it. giving a user rights to modify a notebook is a specific action that I would have to decide to do. that decision would be based on if I trust that user to add content that wouldn't "pollute" the notebook. If the user does then it is my right to disable permissions and remove the "polluted" notes/tags. even better solution would be to let me config if a user can add tags specifically.

thanks,

Nick

It's more of an issue that the tags become global and permanent in your (the owner's) account. If someone creates a tag with a typo on a note, then it would be in your (potentially large) tag list, and you'd have to clean it up.

It's safer to use the set of existing tags provided by the owner as the "safe" set for guests to use.

• 1 year later...

It's more of an issue that the tags become global and permanent in your (the owner's) account. If someone creates a tag with a typo on a note, then it would be in your (potentially large) tag list, and you'd have to clean it up.

It's safer to use the set of existing tags provided by the owner as the "safe" set for guests to use.

If it's by design, can't there be an additional checkbox "shared users can tag". Otherwise, this is going to pretty much make this unusable for my workflow!

I agree with rickmanelius. Evernote allows the user who is sharing their notebook to allow others to view or modify the shared notebook. If Evernote added an "Administrative rights" checkbox or whatever the equivalent is, it could allow the person sharing to allow those select users to not only modify, but add tags as needed.

For example, I got my whole department at work to get premium accounts on Evernote for collaboration. Then, I found out that we couldn't truly have a "shared" notebook, but a user notebook that others can have most editing features, but no shared organizing features. Also, not having the ability to nest the tags makes things difficult to say the least (I've brought this up in another forum).

I hope Evernote could take these scenarious into serious consideration as they make updates and modifications to the program. I truly enjoy Evernote - it has been revolutionary for me, and I am hoping that it could eventually be revolutionary to my team as well. In the meantime, I'll have to assign someone to create all the tags, and the tags will likely have to look like this "client - Bob, client - Nancy, vendor - Kaplan, etc." to stay somewhat organized since nesting is not available.

Perhaps with the fidelity and design of what Evernote currently has, maybe at the very least the owner of the notebook can organize the nested tags for any user?? Just a thought.

Thanks for listening, Evernote!

Sincerely,

a faithful customer using Evernote in the workforce

Archived