How to Edit Evernote Dictionary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5
I'm not sure if it did this in older versions, I'm new to Evernote but the spelling check tries to spell check numbers and symbols. Is this a bug or designed like that?

4.x ignores digit-only "words" (e.g., "1234" will never get a red squiggle), but words containing both digits and letters are run through the spell-checker as is (e.g., "1234hello" and "12hello34" would both get squiggles).

Is this a bug or designed like that?

I think the client would benefit from an "Ignore words that contain numbers" option. I'll enter an enhancement request to track this issue.

Thanks,

Emerick

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5

How are you determining that the file's not updating? It's updating correctly for me using the current release version (4.2.1).

We store the user dictionary in this location (this is on Windows 7; slightly different for older OS's):

C:\Users\{YOUR-USER-NAME}\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Dict\user.dic

On my system, it's:

C:\Users\emerick\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Dict\user.dic

Thanks,

Emerick

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I was wondering how to go about editing the Evernote dictionary?

On a different note I had the idea that it could be useful to allow dictionary list addons. For example, if someone types a lot about technology then they could load in a technology based dictionary list so that program names are not recognized as being misspelled. This would just save the user the time and minor annoyances of adding each word to the list separately.

I found it here (win 7):

C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Dict\user.dic

(I think it is different for XP)

The easiest way to find it is to go to tools - options - open database folder - then go up a level and you should see the Dict folder.

Essentially a text file that EN reads and any words in it are ignored, so if you wanted to add a lot of words then you could add them to that file

post-28000-131906072828_thumb.png

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have notes in both English and French, with English being my first language. I would like EN to suggest spelling corrections in French as well as English. I have chosen both languages in Tools > Option > Language > Spelling, but if I make a mistake in French it detects it and shows the red underline, but all suggestions in the right click menu are in English. Any idea why?

TIA
Phil

• Level 5

Hmm, I suspect that it's because we only show the top five suggestions, so if there happen to be five or more suggestions in the first language that we check, none will show up for the alternate languages. We'll look into improving this, if that is what's happening.

Hi Emerick,

Thanks for your really rapid response. I forgot to mention that I had English, English UK, French checked.

Now that I've unchecked English UK I see exactly what you're saying:

The French word for window is Fenêtre. Now if I forget that accent on the second 'e' it's a spelling mistake. If I check the spelling suggestions with English, English UK, and French selected I get:

fenestration

penetrates

frenetics

penetrate

fenestration

which is all English, and even contains a duplicate: "fenestration".

If I only have English and French selected I get:

fenestration

penetrates

frenetics

penetrate

fenêtres

So there you go. Maybe for those of us with multiple languages we need the top 5 suggestions per language, maybe in a sub dropdown list. Doing that will also clear up the little problem of apparent duplicates.

I'll disable English spelling for the mean time.

Cheers,

Phil

• Level 5

I'm not at my work computer right now, but I think if you press F7 to initiate the spell check, we do show all of the suggestions. The list of suggestions in the context menu is meant to be more of a convenience than an exhaustive list.

Thanks for pointing out the other problem with duplicate suggestions. We'll fix that.

• 2 months later...

By "added a word to my Evernote spell check", do you mean the menu option of "add to dictionary"?

The "dictionary" is essentially, a text file with words that EN will ignore as misspellings.

The file is located here:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Dict\user.dic

Just remove the word and save the file. :(

Scott

• 2 months later...

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to install other than the default spell check dictionaries? I really could use a Bulgarian one. :)

Currently I am using the web interface with spell check from the browser, but this is not very convenient and some times I want to use the client, because it looks better at least. :)

Thanks.

• Level 5

Evernote uses HunSpell dictionaries, the same ones as used by the Open Office. To install them, just copy the dictionary files (*.aff and *.dic) into "C:Program FilesEvernoteEvernoteDict" folder.

/Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Evernote for quite some time and I use 2 dictionaries at the same time (by the way awsome feature there, thank you), because sometimes I write in english and other times in my native Portuguese.

For some time now I've noticed a fault in the Portuguese correction that possibly can occur in other languages with accentuation like Portuguese, this has not been corrected over several versions wich leads me to believe it has not been reported probably. I searched the forums a little bit and did not find information on this.

The problem:

If I write a word that has an accent but ommit the accent Evernote tells me the word is wrong and this is the correct beavior. When I right-click on the word to correct it. The word with the accent is not sugested. If I correct it mannualy Evernote considers the word correct. So my conclusion is that the words are probably on the dictionary, but somehow Evernote fails to suggest them as correction.

This issue isn't a blocking or urgent problem, still it would be niced to see it work properly.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5

DJDB,

Evernote Windows client uses Open Office dictionaries, so if you download any existing Open Office dictionary and add its .aff and .dic files to Evernote dictionaries folder (which is normally located in "C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\Dict") you will be able to select the dictionary in Tools/Options/Language/Spelling.

Open Office dictionaries are available here: http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary

/Peter

• Like 3

Thank you very much, i didn't know about that :).

(Just a quick tip to anyone who downloads a dictionary from the link you provided and finds out that it's an .oxt file and not .aff and .dic. Just rename the .oxt to .zip and extract the files you need from there ;) ).

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree that the spell check feature should ignore (or have the option to ignore) words containing numbers.

I also think the spell check feature should have an option to ignore words that are all caps, such as acronyms (NASA, HHS, NYSEG, etc.)

• Like 1

Hello,

The spell check in Evernote could definitely use an update. If I misspell a common word like response (misspelled reponce ) Evernote does not come close on its suggested spellings. This is common with many English words. Many products today would not only recognize the word, it would complete it or auto correct it when typing.

Thank you

• Level 5

The spell checker in OpenOffice Word does not suggest response for reponce either.

I wonder if Microsoft Word is stronger for reponce suggestions.

MS Office does offer the correct spelling. Again; it’s not necessarily “Response “its many common English words. I know because I find myself writing in MS Office & Word all the time to assure the spelling is correct before I post it. Seems like to many extra steps for what I need to do. Would be nice if EN enhanced Spell Check

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote for Windows, version 4.5.6.

I would like to see more languages at Tools > Options > Languages > Spelling (Select preferred languages).

I often write in Valencian (Catalan), and I can't have the spelling checked properly, or I don't know how to do it.

Is it possible? If yes, how? If not, when will it be?

• 2 weeks later...

Id rather they provided an option to disable the spellchecker altogether.

Im sure its great that their database is full of correctly spelt words, but when you're typing technical documents (especially bash scripts), it'll often change what you've typed with little feedback. No spell checker in the world will work well with scripts or programming code, so please just let us disable it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Is it just me, or is this the worst spell check ever? How does it not suggest "don't" when i type "dont".?

if there is someway to fix the spell checker or use a different one, im all ears.

Hello. Welcome to the user forums. Could you tell us what client (Mac, iOS, Windows, Web, etc.) and what device you are using?

• 4 weeks later...

I second what Carpii and many many others have requested regarding the spell checker (both in the Mac app and on Android, etc):

PLEASE LET US COMPLETELY DISABLE THE SPELL CHECK SYSTEM IN EVERNOTE.

As with many other people, I write in languages other than English. Having red underlines all over the place and no "checkmark" option under Edit->Spelling and Grammar to disable the auto spellcheck is really a pain in the bash. Most apps, like Nisus Writer Pro for example, which I use for word processing, allows me to deselect the option to check spelling in any particular document. EN needs this for sure.

Under Lion/Mountain Lion one can also disable the checkboxes for "Correct spelling automatically" and "Use symbol and text substitution" in System Preferences->Language & Text->Text; this, however, does not stop EN from underlining the words we write in our EN notes.

The ultimate solution for us in EN would be to additionally include a master setting in the Preferences for the app which allow the whole speelling system to be turned off if we want it offf.

thanks for your time

trappster

• 1 month later...

I've recently gotten Evernote on my home computer ( it has windows 7) and have in vain tried to figure out how to change the language of the spell check.

It's fairly annoying looking at all the red lines when typing in a different language than the one recognised by the spell check, so please help me it would be much appreciated! :D :D

EN on Win7. Surprisingly disappointing spell-check suggestions.

I type quickly and make common mistakes:

• adn instead of and
  • ahs instead of has
  • ot instead of to
  • fo for of
  • teh instead of the

Amazingly EN is incapable of offering legitimate corrections! These are among the most common words in the English language. Right click on these mistakes and EN offers a ridiculous list of potential "corrections", none of which is the most obvious. Seriously, try it. An average 12 year old could figure it out. This is an amateurish oversite for an otherwise remarkable product.

• 1 month later...

I agree. Spell check is horrible, the worst I've seen. I'm using Win7 PC.

EN doesn't know that

• waht = what (EN suggests "wast" - IS WAST EVEN A WORD?)
  • teh = the (EN suggests tea!)
  • arent = aren't (EN suggests Aretha!)

Really? What is wrong with this company?

It seems like the simplest words are the hardest for it to understand. Are the programmers non-English speakers? Are they illiterate?

Otherwise EN is a fine product.

Would EN benefit if users sent in a list of problem words so they could fix them.

A 12 year old child should be able to figure these out.

• Like 2

EN doesn't know that

It seems like the simplest words are the hardest for it to understand. Are the programmers non-English speakers? Are they illiterate?

Would EN benefit if users sent in a list of problem words so they could fix them.

This post is so filled with irony... I can hardly stand it.

I find it hard to believe i have been using evernote for over two years now and they still havnt added the simple option of turning off them ugly red spellcheck lines. youd be there all day having to go through each word and click "ignore word"

ha ha i spoke too soon, the latest update has an option to turn off the red lines! thanks, finally! it turns it off spell check completely though so right clicking a mis-spelt word wont bring up any alternative spellings, but its much better than looking at a page of red lines :D

I am not a good speller, and EN just doesn't seem to offer suggestions, is their a way to turn it on, I want to upgrade to premium but see no point it it doesn't have spell checker. I have multiple devises and multiple not programs, and I would love to fall in love with this one, as it seems to truly be trying to constantly improve. But spell checker has been around for ever! Kind of funny that my Safari on my iPad did 1,000% better at spell checking than EN.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sure the development team in evernote are working hard to improve it but until then it would be really helpful to be able to choose from different spellers. From example the one from google or MS Word or there are some under GPL license which are pretty good too. That way the list of supported languages will grow also.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to add my voice to those calling for an improved spellchecker for Evernote.  The suggestions seem frequently off-base to a remarkable degree. 

If you do implement an improved system could you add the facility for a modifiable user dictionary so you can teach the spellchecker your most commonly used words?  How about autocorrect as with MS Word?

• Level 5*

If you do implement an improved system could you add the facility for a modifiable user dictionary so you can teach the spellchecker your most commonly used words?

In the Windows client, you can certainly right-click on a red-squiggled word and add it to your dictionary.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

EN doesn't know that

I'm not terribly concerned about spell check myself, because my notes are written for my eyes only, and I guess I am not bothered by an occasional misspelling.  Besides, in my experience, the spell check seems fine. Then again, I am using the Mac, and I am not seeing the same problems that you are. See the screen shots below.

post-81978-0-51599900-1365090646_thumb.p

post-81978-0-82818400-1365090653_thumb.p

post-81978-0-79281500-1365090666_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Some commenters seem to make excuses for EN or overlook its shortcomings.

That's not the point.

It's either a superior product that strives for excellence or it's not.

If it's the latter it's only a matter of time before Google or MS overtake it.

Making excuses or tolerating mediocrity is of no benefit to EN or the readers of this forum.

That's not the point.

Making excuses or tolerating mediocrity is of no benefit to EN or the readers of this forum.

We are not making excuses. We simply have an opinion that is different from yours. I put spell check way low on the list because I'm a pretty good speller & keyboarder & proof important things multiple times. And like GM said, most of my notes are for my eyes only.

• Level 5*

That's not the point.

What excuses? The spell-check works. I would say it even works really well. Please see the screenshots I posted. It might be more constructive to narrow down the Evernote client that is causing problems (Windows?) and talk about specifics rather than calling everything mediocre. I would say the point is to get the facts straight, identify any problems that exist, and then push the developers to come up with solutions. 

• Like 1

I want to add to the voices of dissatisfaction: the spellcheck function on Evernote is the worst I've ever seen on any word processing app. Every day, it makes me angry and frustrated because it seems so DUMB.

Is Evernote working on strengthening it? Can we use another spellchecker in the meantime?

• Level 5*

I want to add to the voices of dissatisfaction: the spellcheck function on Evernote is the worst I've ever seen on any word processing app. Every day, it makes me angry and frustrated because it seems so DUMB.

Is Evernote working on strengthening it? Can we use another spellchecker in the meantime?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Could you tell us what client you are using? The spell check works perfectly fine for me (see screenshots earlier in the thread).

• Level 5*

Is Evernote working on strengthening it?

Actively? Dunno. Evernote doesn't generally tell us what they're doing.

Can we use another spellchecker in the meantime?

Not easily, so far as I know, unless you want to copy/paste your note into MS Word, do the spell checking there, or something like that. You can also add words to the dictionary as you go along.
  • 1 month later...

Agreed with everyone.  The spell check options are horrible.  I usually copy everything out of EN and use word to fix and then paste back in.  Not ideal as it tends to mess up formating or numbering sometimes but the spell check in EN is really annoying.

cant = can't

doesnt = doesn't

dollor = dollar

scalelable = scalable

arent = aren't

the list goes on.  Hope this helps. 

• 11 months later...

Hello!

I use evernote as my lab notebook, and there's a chemistry dictionary that I've added to the Dict directory that is not in the complete open office format (there's just a .dic file, no .aff file). Just adding this doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to generate the second kind of file I need or add this as it stands so it will work? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Herein lies the problem in expecting EN to have a perfect spell-checking function - it is not a word-processor. If you want a better spell-checker, use your favorite word processing program/app, and then copy to EN. i long-ago learned to not rely on any spell-checking program. because I learned to spell even longer ago. I work with documents all day, and they need to be spelled correctly. Very often I find errors that the writer made, but the MS spell checker missed. Even the spell-checker on Firefox is not perfect - spell writer without the "w" and the correct spelling does not come up!

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*

I too need to edit my Evernote user dictionary.  However, I can't find it in Windows 8.1 searching for 'Evernote\Dict\' or even 'AppData'.  Where is it?

I think that this applies to the Windows desktop client; I don't know if it works for the Windows Touch version. In the desktop version, you just open Evernote, go to Tools / Options, and click on "Open Database folder". That will bring up an Explorer window; you should be able to go up a level from there, and see the "Dict" folder, which contains the "user.dic" file. The Touch version, I don't know.
  • 4 weeks later...

I use and type in Spanish & English (in the same note) and I want to spell check in both languages.

I have it setup in the language option as "check spelling as you type" and have "English & Spanish" selected.

But it only spells in English OR Spanish (only by changing the option and selecting each language separately).
Making the select preferred languages options useless (it will only accept one language at a time). 

Can you add a right click "context menu" similar to chrome's or firefox's "spell checker options"?

post-247124-0-82778500-1422474015_thumb.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I know this is an old thread and forgive me if adding to this one isn't the correct protocal but this seemed the closest discussion to my needs. Is there an option in Evernote similar to MS Word "Autocorrect"? IE: can I program EN to change my own personal shorthand into the desired word or phrase? As an example, in MS Word if I type "lmk" and the space bar, Word changes this to "let me know", I have literally thousands of entries like this in Word (my email editor) and the time savings is massive. So can I do this in EN? And if so, for big bonus points, can I import my Word file into EN? If not, is this something that could be worked on and added in a future update?

• 9 months later...
On 4/13/2013 at 8:48 PM, GrumpyMonkey said:

What excuses? The spell-check works. I would say it even works really well. Please see the screenshots I posted. It might be more constructive to narrow down the Evernote client that is causing problems (Windows?) and talk about specifics rather than calling everything mediocre. I would say the point is to get the facts straight, identify any problems that exist, and then push the developers to come up with solutions. 

Quoting a very old comment but there aren't many threads about spell checking on the forum, this is the most complete one.

The problem is most notable in the Windows client. In Mac EN uses the built in macOS spell checkers so there you'll not notice the problem.

I am a premium user of EN on 3 platforms: Mac, Windows and iOS and spell check is still (amazingly after all these years) very under par on EN for Windows compared with the other platforms.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, Thorz said:

Quoting a very old comment but there aren't many threads about spell checking on the forum, this is the most complete one.

The problem is most notable in the Windows client. In Mac EN uses the built in macOS spell checkers so there you'll not notice the problem.

I am a premium user of EN on 3 platforms: Mac, Windows and iOS and spell check is still (amazingly after all these years) very under par on EN for Windows compared with the other platforms.

Is the issue you're having specifically about editing the spell-checker? If not, in all honesty, so that your discussion can get more traction, I'd recommend just starting a new thread and listing the specific problems the spell-checker is giving you in Windows.

• 3 years later...