(Archived) REQUEST: Folder and file linking (alias)

Luis.malheiro

Idea

Dear EN developers, please include ASAP a decent way of dynamically link to local files and folders on MAC OS. I have just subscribed a premium account to find out that this was impossible!!! :(:(:(

All the other simplest apps do this feature, and please don´t give solutions like URL paths (viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22519&p=101475&hilit=link+folder#p101475) this things reminds me the old DOS.

I use a MAC witch means it is suppose to drag and drop files and folders, that´s the way MAC APPS are supposed to function.

I´m sorry to say, but at the moment you got a very disappointed customer :(

Luis Malheiro

21 replies to this idea

I made a Mac os X service if your too lazy like me to type the "file:///" and then pasting your path

You can download this here (To install : unzip and double-click the Copy Path automator service)

If you replace spaces in the filename reference with %20, it will work in Evernote without having to change the spaces in the filename itself to underscores or some other character.

For example:

file:///Users/michaelhyatt/Documents/my file.txt

becomes

file:///Users/michaelhyatt/Documents/my%20file.txt

Can someone ad this to the Automator workflow?

• Level 5*

This may be the same as yellowait44's method, but it's from a published source.

It uses the Mac Automator to create a Finder Service.

See Copy file or folder path to the clipboard in Mac OS X Lion

Then, after you have the file path on your clipboard (from above), do this in your Evernote Note:

1. select the text you want to use for the link,
  2. press CMD+K,
  3. enter "file://" and then
  4. paste (CMD+V).

You should end up with the link looking something like "file:///Users/<YourMacLoginName>/Documents/MyFile.pdf"

Just want to thank yellowait44 for the extremely useful "Copy path" service you made available. It may not be drag n drop but embedding a link with a couple of right clicks ain't bad. I mean, no typing required! With All due respect to EN's pro forma disclaimer, it was a no brainer to install, a charm to use. Just follow the instructions to the letter. You made my day, yellowait!

The perl part replaces the spaces with %20, but the earlier version ate up the newlines, so if you select multiple files it wouldn't work. This should.

I have a different scenario that I'm hoping Applescript could solve, unfortunately I haven't used it all that much. I want to use Evernote as a relationship management tool. So I'd like to be able to link from evernote to my contact, and vice versa. Using the evernote link for a note, I've been able to add it to a url field on my contact, so that works. And using this Applescript, I can go find the file in explorer, and create a link in evernote. However that is a pain. I'd love to be on a contact and select a script that would create the link for me. Even better would be if it would create a link, then create a new evernote, and insert the link, but I know that is asking a lot.

I don't believe that they have ever refused a refund for an unhappy customer - i think the quickest way would to be open a support case http://www.evernote....upport/#inquiry.

Of course, you could have done your own due diligence before you purchased to find out whether Evernote was the right app for you before you purchased. You could even have used it for free for a day, or a week, or a year or forever to double check.

Oh well, it must be their fault...

I get a real kick reading through these threads ... especially at the replies of the "evangelists". Some of the "evangelists" are actually helpful and have great attitudes. If I were to generalize, most are not and typified by your answer. If I owned Evernote, I would not want posters like this on my board representing my company.

That worked. Thanks!

Actually, it may not if you have multiple files. To get the behavior right with multiple files, do this:

for f in "$@"
do
str="file://"
echo "$str$f" | perl -pe 's/ /%20/g'
done

The perl part replaces the spaces with %20, but the earlier version ate up the newlines, so if you select multiple files it wouldn't work. This should.

Here is a way to add links using Alfredapp:

- download the Copypath extension and activate in Alfred

- modify it to add "file:///" by default

Want to add a link?

1. select the file or folder
  2. activate Alfred
  3. type 'copy'
  4. go to the Evernote note
  5. select the text
  6. command-K
  7. paste
  8. done

I agree that it would be very useful to have links to files and for attachments to be linked to the original. The best scenario would be: to have a simple link feature for very large files, and a sync feature that would automatically update the files in Evernote when the original was updated.

Creating links to the original files wasn't necessarily burdensome; however, it would be more efficient to have a more user-friendly function.

I sort of found out by myself today :) I know evernote doesn't make any claim about it because it sort of defeat the purpose of online syncing (which I find absolutely necessary by the way because there is some files I need to get access on my iPhone), but when you have some large file to make reference to, then my method is the perfect way!

Ok folks here you go:

-track where the file is on your hard drive : (ex: /Users/YourFilePath/)

-go to evernote and select the text you want your link on and press CMD+K

-enter your URL in the following format : file:///Users/YourFilePath/

-press ok

- enjoy the magic!

P.S.

I made a Mac os X service if your too lazy like me to type the "file:///" and then pasting your path

You can download this here (To install : unzip and double-click the Copy Path automator service)

So now you select the folder you want to link inside evernote then right click and select the "Copy Path" service from the drop-down menu. Open evernote and select your link text inside your note and press CMD+k (or right click +link +add...) paste your link with CMD+V and press done.

This came up on another thread, so just a quick disclaimer, this isn't officially from Evernote. It hasn't been vetted or vouched for. Please use your own judgement. I don't meant to say yellowait44's link isn't full of useful/awesome things, but we don't make any claims about it.

Ok folks here you go:

-track where the file is on your hard drive : (ex: /Users/YourFilePath/)

-go to evernote and select the text you want your link on and press CMD+K

-enter your URL in the following format : file:///Users/YourFilePath/

-press ok

- enjoy the magic!

P.S.

So now you select the folder you want to link inside evernote then right click and select the "Copy Path" service from the drop-down menu. Open evernote and select your link text inside your note and press CMD+k (or right click +link +add...) paste your link with CMD+V and press done.

I really, really need this feature, too. I have lots of files (e.g., iWork Keynote file) that are too big for Evernote. I really don't need the file itself in Evernote; I simply need a hyperlink that will open the local file.

Can we please have this? From searching on Google, it looks like this existed at one time, perhaps on the Windows version.

Thanks,.

• Level 5*

I don't believe that they have ever refused a refund for an unhappy customer - i think the quickest way would to be open a support case http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/#inquiry.

Of course, you could have done your own due diligence before you purchased to find out whether Evernote was the right app for you before you purchased. You could even have used it for free for a day, or a week, or a year or forever to double check.

Oh well, it must be their fault...

Archived