(Archived) Lost ability to work off-line?

• Level 5*

I just upgraded to 3.0.0.625 client, and I note that I have lost the ability to work off-line. Is there any plan to change this back to being possible, or do I just keep all my notebooks local? (Except "EndNote" because one must remain synchronizable with the server.)

BTW, I use a third-party back-up software program to keep my desktop and portable drive versions of EN synchronized - works well. Just wish I could synchronize with a version on my PDA, but that is another story ...

Thanks.

We have removed the 'Work offline' checkbox from the menu, but you can essentially make Evernote work offline by going to Account > Properties > Synchronization tab and turning off the '[ ] Synchronize automatically ...' feature.

• Level 5*

OK, thanks. Can you just confirm that if I do this there is no persistent connection to the web site? I am working with a paranoid IT department and am becoming paranoid about web connections myself! I want to be able to use Evernote portable at my office, but cannot if there is any kind of persistent connection - even the logging in when I open the program may be problematic, although this is probably something I have to live with. Restoration of the working offline feature would be the best option for me. :(

Yes, there is no persistent connection. If you disable the scheduled synchronization, and disable the 'Check for program updates' option, Evernote will never access the network on its own initiative. When you open/switch account, Evernote also does not perform any network activity (except for the first time you open an account, when Evernote checks your username/password against the Service, before creating a local database).

I for one would request that this feature be PUT BACK. I too am dealing with a paranoid IT department - in this case ME - and I do not like the fact that there is no easy one click method to ensure that it is always off. If I can I'm un-installing the last upgrade and going back to 3.0.0.594.

This really seems like a step backward and looks like you are preparing to box users into the web account access only. What pray tell lead you to believe that users did not want or need this "feature"?

The decision behind removing the 'Work offline' checkbox was that it just duplicates the existing checkbox '[x] Sync automatically every [N minutes]'. So, if you disable the automatic synchronization in Account > Properties, you will be essentially working offline, as it was in previous build. This has nothing to do with 'forcing users to work online' or something.

If you do not trust the application (any, not just Evernote), it's much safer to disable it from accessing network using any firewall software at hand (which will also audit any attempts to connect to the network -- so you can really check whether the application behaves well or not).

What worries me is the word "essentially" being used over and over, is it off-line or isn't it? The "work off-line" check box directly on the Account menu was reassuring.

I am 1/3 of local IT and that is part of a 200+ member team of corporate IT. I do run a few "personal" apps that really enhance my work and save time - Evernote being one of them. I try my best to be low key and keep the apps I use under wraps. Having the thing automatically go BACK on-line during an update is frustrating to say the least. It just seems pointless to take it away when it was so convenient and a MUCH used feature - even if it was only turned on ONCE (that is OFFLINE) and simply used as a check to make SURE it was off.

Please put it back.

What worries me is the word "essentially" being used over and over, is it off-line or isn't it?

If you disable automatic synchronization and also disable 'check for updates' feature, this will be equivalent to the 'work offline' behavior.

If you turn off scheduled synchronizations, the client won't sync unless you hit the Sync button.

We removed the "Work Offline" menu item because its behavior wasn't obvious. If you hit the Sync button and then turn off scheduled synchronizations, you are working offline until you choose to sync again.

SInce installing Evernote Beta, I have been working offline. Today, I installed the upgrade, and without even asking, this thing--all at once!-- uploaded all my files that I have been saving these months. NOW, I cannot save one single note to my own machine because I have exceeded my upload limit (with 27 day to go in this period). I cannot save one more single letter to this program unless I agree to pay five bucks a month. At first I was totally bewildered by the window that suddenly appeared informing me of this--didn't know where it was originating from or anything. Took a while to figure it out. Not nice, guys.

I have been an enthusiastic fan of Evernote for quite some time. I have already purchased two licenses for prior versions of Evernote and I have urged other folks to purchase it for various purposes. I will purchase a REASONABLE license for Evernote 3. However, I really, really don't want to post most of the information I am clipping back to the web. I figure folks can do their own research, just as I am doing it. There might be a very few things that I might want to store online. But only finished, or highly refined products, and certainly none of my personal notes or private information. My little bitty hard drive is just fine for these things. Thanks. So, if the online stuff is an option you are offering , fine. If it's mandatory, No Thanks! I will just revert back to one of the versions for which I hold a valid license, and I'll dust off a couple of the old programs that I abandoned for this one.

SO my question to you guys is this? ARE you attempting to force your users into a position where they are having to work online in order to collect a monthly storage fee? If so, then I am definitly NOT interested, despite the fact that I very much like some of the features of EVERNOTE beta. Though the loss of some of the features that you obviously dumped from its predecessor are definitely a step backward from my perspective.

Anyway, I am not off to try and delete my info that was sucked out of my computer from your website.

I'm not an official EverNote person or anything, but the notes and notebooks that have been uploaded are not visible to the public - so relax! ;) Only you can access them after logging into your account. The only exception are notebooks you have marked as shared - which you probably haven't.

Though the pop-up you mention is an interesting hint: $5 a month sounds reasonable, depending on the quality of the program going forward and how much additional allowance that buys.

heirloomgrower - which version of the client software (Mac or Windows) were you using? Neither version should sync when you start unless you have left the scheduled synchronization enabled. (Or you synchronized manually).

If you really don't want some notes to be sent to the service, you can make a Local notebook. That's an option when you are creating the notebook. Any notes in that notebook aren't synchronized to the service, but that means you don't have all of the availability and back-up you get from synchronized notebooks.

SInce installing Evernote Beta, I have been working offline. Today, I installed the upgrade, and without even asking, this thing--all at once!-- uploaded all my files that I have been saving these months. NOW, I cannot save one single note to my own machine because I have exceeded my upload limit (with 27 day to go in this period). I cannot save one more single letter to this program unless I agree to pay five bucks a month. At first I was totally bewildered by the window that suddenly appeared informing me of this--didn't know where it was originating from or anything. Took a while to figure it out. Not nice, guys.

I am sorry for that -- we should have take the current "offline" setting into consideration to disable the scheduled synchronization -- we just removed it, and it caused all unsynchronized yet data in synchronized notebooks to be pushed to the server. If you created all your notes in a local notebook, it wouldn't send anything up the cloud.

Now, if you don't want your data to be on the server, just create a new *local* notebook and move all your notes there, then sync. This will make your notes expunged from the server. You are also able to create new notes in a local notebook if you have reached the monthly upload allowance. Only synchronizaed notebooks are subject to this temporary limitation.

I am running Windows XP Professions.

I have run offline since I installed this program. After updating today, I did sign into the account, but I thought that was required because I remembered that I had to creat the account and log in in order to install the program initially. Quite some time later, this window popped up to tell me that I had uploaded more than my allowable bandwidth for this time period. Well...I didn't even know I was uploading ANYTHING. Since there was no readily identifying mark on the window, it took quite some time to figure out what was going on.

The automatic sync box was, and is unchecked. I DID NOT do a manual sync. The "allow check for update" was checked, but I have now unchecked that box after reading this thread. Is there another way to designate a notebook as "local"...I have looked for such a way and have not found it.

I still am not able to save one single character to Evernote on my hard drive. I still get a popup that tells me that I have exceeded my allowance and that I need to upgrade and spend $5 a month or $45 a year in order to upgrade.

I am with the others here...repetitive or not, there needs to be a very obvious DO NOT UPLOAD button hardwired into this program. Telling people to handle it at their firewalls is a bit lax, especially since most people really are not techie enough to handle their firewalls.

If you want to create a first-class, innovative piece of software, then make it truly first-class and multipurpose by allowing your users to EASILY configure it to suit their personal needs. This trait of Evernote is what has gotten you this far. Clearing up the situation created for me today has required my whole afternoon, and I had other things I needed to be doing. If it keeps this from happening again, then, by all means, PLEASE DO be repetitive. Multiple times, even.

By the way, what on earth possessed you guys to get rid of the very useful templates features (I used those a lot) and the essential "Forward" and "Back" buttons (if the tape is not working smoothly, those are essential to the convenient use of this program)?

Is there another way to designate a notebook as "local"...I have looked for such a way and have not found it.

As far as I know, the only way to make a notebook local is to make it local when you first create it. There is no way (currently) to switch an existing notebook to local, or to not-local. To get your notes out of the cloud, you'll need to make a new (local) notebook, and then move all of your notes to it. Then, when you synchronize again, your notes will be taken out of the cloud. Unfortunately, you'll already have uploaded everything still, and you'll still be over quota, for this month.

It sounds like this is a bug, and heirloomgrower's quota has been bumped for the month to compensate. We'll fix this problem in the next Windows update.

Archived