(Archived) sync of sensitive info

ATHiker95

Idea

I'm a premium user and have synced some sensitive docs to the Evernote servers. Is there a way to delete that info? If I make a new notebook which is not synced and move my sensitive docs into that notebook, will that also remove them from the Evernote servers? I would guess perhaps that is not immediate, but does eventually happen? or?

I understand my info is encrypted as a premium user,so I'm not so worried about the transmittal, but but I'm not so sure I understand how this information might be shared with "3rd parties". Could Evernote conceivably do that?

Thanks,

Mark

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

They absolutely say that they won't look at your data or share it with 3rd parties.

You can move your data to a local notebook and at next sync it will be deleted form the Evernote servers.

I understand my info is encrypted as a premium user,so I'm not so worried about the transmittal, but but I'm not so sure I understand how this information might be shared with "3rd parties". Could Evernote conceivably do that?

To clarify, your notes are encrypted during transmission to/from the servers. But they are not encrypted on the EN servers. One concern (for me, but everyone has a different comfort level) is that I don't want sensitive data on anyone's servers/hard drives (including my own) that is not encrypted. So I don't put my taxes into EN unless they are in a password protected PDF. (Password protected Word docs are not encrypted, last I knew. But, PDFs can be password protected with or without being encrypted, as I understand it.) So my cloud software is Jungle Disk (focus is secure, encrypted cloud backup where EN's focus is allowing you to capture/save/retrieve info.) I store my sensitive data in Truecrypted containers on my computers and Dropbox. For more information on this topic, search the board on 'security'. It's been discussed at great length, already.

Regarding third parties, I think there are a couple of issues. One is a legal thing: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15338&p=60481&hilit=court+order#p60458

Then there's this: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=21329&p=90392&hilit=third+party#p90392

I think also, the "sharing with third party" issue may refer to any third party apps you choose to run. IE, many people use Egretlist on iPhone/iPad b/c it allows you to add/modify check boxes for a to-do list, which you cannot do on the EN iDevice app due to RTF limitations. So of course, EN has to be able to share your notes with Egretlist, if that's an app you are wanting to use.

But no, they don't share/sell your data to anyone for nefarious/unwanted purposes.

Archived