(Archived) TIP: Template scripts

shahram

Idea

Hi!

Here is a short blog on creating and working with templates.

http://ht.ly/4vx8z

Until there is a template implemented in EN, I guess this is the only way.

BTW, I created an automation script that made it slightly easier to double click on your templates. not tested very well ... let me know and I can post it.

Good luck,

Shahram

11 replies to this idea

I made an applescript to implement templates. It uses evernote's logic to create the note and opens upon completion, so you don't have to deal with importing & exporting files.

The script assumes that your template lives in the same Notebook as the notes you'll be creating and is tagged "template".

For more on Evernote & Applescript (like how to assign multiple tags and so forth) check here: http://www.evernote.com/about/developer/mac.php

tell application "Evernote"
set {year:y, month:m, day:d} to (current date) --extract elements of the date for the title--
set new_note_title to m & " " & d & ", " & y as string --this will be the title of your new note--
set new_note_date to (current date) --change this to edit the creation date of the new note--

set notebook_name to "Daily Record" --the notebook where your new note will be made & which contains your template--
set template_tag to "template" --i assume your template will be tagged as a template--
set tag1 to tag "daily_record" --a tag to assign to your new note--

--This section extracts the template file & copes its contents as HTML--
set template_list to find notes "notebook:\"" & notebook_name & "\" tag:" & template_tag
--the above query must return ONLY the template you're looking for. in this case...'notebook:"Daily Record" tag:template'--
set template_note to item 1 of template_list --gets the first matching item of the "find" command--
set template_content to HTML content of template_note --grabs the template's content--

--construct the note--
set note1 to create note title new_note_title with html template_content created new_note_date notebook notebook_name
assign tag1 to note1

--Open the note in its own editor window & close the main window--
open note window with note1
if window 2 exists then
close window 2
end if
end tell
tell application "System Events" to set frontmost of process "Evernote" to true

(edit: bring the note window to the front)

ps. I tried to attach the actual script I'm using, but the forum doesn't allow it...So, instructions for use: select all of the code, open Applescript Editor, Paste, Click Compile (to check that it works for you), and then Save As with type "Application" to either make a clickable app or assign a keyboard shortcut. Good Luck, Have Fun!

YMMV as checkboxes (and I imagine other special-formatting elements) don't copy over from the template.

I tried creating the new note out of "ENML content" instead of "HTML content" but it didn't affect the result.

Any ideas, veritrope? Have you run into this bug before?

I have -- Same thing happened to me with a script I was working on and, when I asked, discovered it was part of how Evernote parsed HTML content on the way in.

I've been told that there's a report filed on that. I'll try to follow up on that and let you know if I get an update!

I made an applescript to implement templates. It uses evernote's logic to create the note and opens upon completion, so you don't have to deal with importing & exporting files.

The script assumes that your template lives in the same Notebook as the notes you'll be creating and is tagged "template".

For more on Evernote & Applescript (like how to assign multiple tags and so forth) check here: http://www.evernote....veloper/mac.php

I built an implementation inspired by Spencer's code at veritrope, with a bunch of improvements for my own purposes. I've shared the code in a shared evernote note. A screenshot is shown here.

This version supports multiple templates. You can create as many templates as you want, and access them from a menu pulldown. Any notes in a notebook of your choice, and tagged to mark as templates, become note templates. The destination notebook can be different from the template notebook. Tags are now preserved from the templates to the new notes. The new note title is the template title concatenated with the date. I hope you find it useful.

This is something of a double-post, but it looks like this is where the earlier discussion (and implementation) happened, so I'm posting it here.

You guys might also take a look at a template script I've written. The script lets you choose a template from the template notes in a single template notebook.

You can choose in which existing notebook to place the new note. Also you can enter a title for your new note. The script can insert a date/time stamp and your note's title anywhere into your note.

Hi guys,

I've created an application called KustomNote.com at http://kustomnote.com. The web app allows you to create note templates, pick a theme, send email reminders and pre-define the fields to be used with different types like date, numbers, files, even movies and music and Google Contacts. Music and Video SmartFields auto-completes artist names, albums and movies and for Google contacts, you can link multiple Google accounts and doing so, creating and editing your templates you'll find a new field type created for every google account connected. Using this field in creating notes it will autocomplete using your Google contacts address book and it will also generate a snippet with emails, Google maps to addresses, links to Facebook and twitter as well if they are connected somehow to that person directly in your address book or on their GooglePlus profile.

Please check it out guys and please let me know if I can help with anything.

Cheers,

- Hussein

Hussein - I could not find a "contact me" link at Kustomnote.

I need a Cornell note taking template.

I cannot tell if you have one.

Further, I am not prepared to give you absolute access to my complete Evernote account for 365 days. Say what?

Too bad. Some of your stuff looks good.

Hi guys,

I've created an application called KustomNote.com at http://kustomnote.com. The web app allows you to create note templates, pick a theme, send email reminders and pre-define the fields to be used with different types like date, numbers, files, even movies and music and Google Contacts. Music and Video SmartFields auto-completes artist names, albums and movies and for Google contacts, you can link multiple Google accounts and doing so, creating and editing your templates you'll find a new field type created for every google account connected. Using this field in creating notes it will autocomplete using your Google contacts address book and it will also generate a snippet with emails, Google maps to addresses, links to Facebook and twitter as well if they are connected somehow to that person directly in your address book or on their GooglePlus profile.

Please check it out guys and please let me know if I can help with anything.

Cheers,

- Hussein

I've recently tried this app; it is very easy to use. I used it to create lesson plan and unit templates. You can choose from three designs for your notes, and the designs are beautiful. However, is it possible to create a much simpler, basic design, one in which the fonts aren't so large?

Otherwise, great job on a wonderfully useful app.

Hi MrsB, we're changing that right now MrsB. KustomNote authorization will be only basic-access which entitles the app only to create notes, notebooks and tags with no access to data.

Hi KSol007, your wish is our command! A forth theme has been added that is 100% text based without images, backgrounds or tables, basically as you stated, just simple and basic but with all the bells and whistles of fields, structures, types, smart fields, Google contacts, Google Calendar and all the other functions available. Check it out please KSol007 and let me know if you think that it should be improved somehow.

There is also an idea/request submission feedback forum @ http://feedback.kustomnote.com/ so please add any ideas or thoughts there and/or vote on others ; )

All the best,

- Hussein

Hussein

Is http://feedback.kustomnote.com/ still active ? There is hardly anything listed there ?

Its also not a link on http://www.kustomnote.com.

Is your project still active ?

Is there a way to see the update history of Kustomnote ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than Kustomnote, are there any alternatives for non-apple users ?

Archived