(Archived) Search in Windows ifilter

ianspencer

I have been using OneNote for years but now with Evernote which I love for simplicity and sync with my Android Phone has become a problem. I find myself doing multiple searches to find stuff. I want to be able to find all my information by using Windows Search not have to open multiple applications. I have lots of documents going back 20 years also again windows search in Windows 7 gets everything except evernote. I have a poor memory. Is it possible to consider an iFilter that will allow Evernote to be searched. I have a lot of stuff in OneNote that I want to keep there as OneNote is far more featured application but evernote is great for random dump pictures, voice etc into one big bucket and have sync. I am starting to think though that maybe I should have waited for a decent windows mobile phone that fully supports OneNote reducing my search problem.

I am recommending EverNote to lots of people who have never keept good notes and they love it. I don't want Evernote to have all the features that bloat Microsoft applications even though I will continue to Use OneNote but search is a big thing for me since I use both daily.

Thanks

• Level 5*

You know, I hear that word "bloat" applied to software, and I've started to think that it just means the 80% of a software package that the speaker doesn't use, but of the 20% that is used, half of that is used by everyone, and the other half is part of some other user's conception of what is "bloat". No, Evernote may not have (or need) all of the features of a Microsoft Word (which is over 25 years old after all), but it still has room for improvement and new functionality. So maybe adding IFilter capabilities would be someone else's idea of bloat, or maybe it's just a good idea and should be added, or maybe it's ripe for a third-party solution. Dunno, myself, but it's interesting to me.

+1 +1 + 1 +1 +1

I hate having to think about whether I have to search in EN or in Windows to find documents and have to perform 2 searches.

In version 2 (and early 3.X) EN supported desktop search (at least GDS), and for me this was a major and important feature.

Since 3.5 (IIRC) we hear that EN is thinking of re-implementing desktop search again, I bother D. Engberg with this request in every second posting, so I strongly concurr: Searching EN in Win7-search as well would be a major improvement (or catching up to prior quality, as you wish to view it).

Regards from Munich, EvB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

According to new from various Internet sites, Microsoft will provide a native searchable .pdf engine in the next release of WIN, that will be WIN 8.

Maybe this will also include what you are looking for.

But it will still be a year or so before we can realistically expect that.

Wern

Already today, my Win7 searches (and finds) PDFs within the normal Windows Search.

What we want to have back: That hits within EN are shown with Windows Search.

Such desktop search was possible with EN 2.X and 3.1 (?) together with Google Desktop Search. Therefore, it is at least possible to search EN from the operating system (whether it is simple, I cannot assess ...).

Best regards, EvB.

• Level 5

The feature you want is difficult to implement in EN (at the moment). As I said, WIn 8 will provide this (same what MACs already have).

To clarify, this is what Andrew Sinkov (EN wizzard) said about this:

"PDF support is built into Mac OS. This is not the case with Windows. In Windows, we need to incorporate PDF tools into our application. This adds significant complexity. We’re looking into options that might add the PDF search functionality."

• 1 month later...

It sounds as though this functionality is off Evernote's roadmap. After a quick look at the developer documentation for IFilter, I'm not surprised - it would require support for a URL to each note and I suspect it's different for different versions of Windows. Altogether a bit gritty for a cross-platform tool.

It's a pity, as it would make Evernote into my tool of choice for organising random bits of information. Without decent fast search that includes Outlook as well, a note system is virtually useless to me.

Anyone know of a third party providing this 'iFilter'? Or a third party who might be persuaded to do so?

Or is there a way to export all notes in an appropriate format so that Windows will automatically index them? So one could do an automated daily export. Say to MS Outlook OneNote or even simple Outlook Notes?

- Charles

• Level 5

Now that 4.4 *does* have direct URL-links for each note, I believe that this feature should be reconsidered. It would be so amazingly useful to have a single unified search box to search emails (Outlook), the Windows Desktop (Word, Excel, PDF, plaintext docs) and Evernote simultaneously.

I don't use EN on Mac, but don't Mac users already benefit from something like this via integrated Spotlight search? At least an iFilter would bring Win users up to feature parity.

• 3 weeks later...

The PDF support in Windows 7 32bit is included with you download Acrobat Reader. As far as I know the iFilter is written by the software developers and windows for a long time has handled Windows Desktop Search in this way. Windows Vista onwards came with Windows Desktop Search built in but you could run it on XP as a download. The point of this is from my understanding windows does not need to know much about any applications windows uses the iFilter from the developer as an interface to extract text to index. The built in bit people are talking about in Windows 8 is Windows 7 does not handle PDF iFilter in 64Bit version. This is not Windows fault but Adobe not supplying it with reader. You can download it directly though from Adobe. The following is from Wikipedia.

During Step 1, the search engine itself doesn't understand format of a document. Therefore, it looks in windows registry for an appropriate IFilter and finds the IFilter. IFilter understands the document format. It filters out embedded formatting and extracts text from the document and return text back to the search engine.
Now that 4.4 *does* have direct URL-links for each note, I believe that this feature should be reconsidered. It would be so amazingly useful to have a single unified search box to search emails (Outlook), the Windows Desktop (Word, Excel, PDF, plaintext docs) and Evernote simultaneously.

I don't use EN on Mac, but don't Mac users already benefit from something like this via integrated Spotlight search? At least an iFilter would bring Win users up to feature parity.

YES, YES, PLEEEEAAAASE!

Global search with EN via GDS was a major feature in earlier EN-versions, and for me it is a major issue for EN to re-gain this ability: Desktop search of standard files PLUS Evernote, and now easy inside the OS with WIN7 instead of GDS.

I think this is a rather common view and not only a single feature request. Please consider achieving this ability again!!

Thx in advance, EvB

• Level 5
Any comments from EN on the possibility of having an iFilter interface for EN to make searching on Windows as easy as it is on Mac?
Does the Mac have full searching of documents and Evernote?

Yes it does. Not fair to us Win users!

• Level 5*
Any comments from EN on the possibility of having an iFilter interface for EN to make searching on Windows as easy as it is on Mac?
Does the Mac have full searching of documents and Evernote?

Yes it does. Not fair to us Win users!

Yes, but us Mac users are far more sophisticated - that's why we are all sitting in Starbucks finishing off our novels :)

• Level 5*
Yes, but us Mac users are far more sophisticated - that's why we are all sitting in Starbucks finishing off our novels :)

I'm guessing that yours is a soap opera???

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
So, what's the current state now? Any activities to implement iFilter in one of the next releases?

None that I know of, and Evernote does not tend to release its feature roadmaps.

• 9 months later...

Hi Evernote-Team - me, my familiy, my colleagues and a lot of friends that are using evernote till now, will stop using evernote (moving to onenote) due to the fact, that you do not take any actions to make this essential integration true  :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived