Print Font Size Mismatch

DakotaMalamute

When I print notes directly from Evernote, the print font is consistently much larger than it should be. I feel like the font sizing in the software is off a bit. For example, in my notes, the main text is set to 10-point Times New Roman, but on screen it looks more like 11-point, and when printed it looks like 12 or 13 -point. This seems like a small issue, but it can be quite annoying when short notes overflow onto a second page.

If anyone knows anything about this, or knows a way to adjust font sizing either on screen or in print, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

• Level 5

Yes, I have the same problem. When printing, EN prints the note much larger than the font it is displaying. Displaying "10" on the screen will print it out in 12 or 13, anyway it is always larger in the printout. I think this is a bug.

A while ago (and with an older version of EN) there was a trick you could do, to set the "print size".

This was some kind of tinkering with the registry entries of EN. But I think this is the way to go (for the moment) until we have a choice of setting "print size".

I forgot how to do this with the registry. Maybe somebody of EN can enlighten us.

Wern

• 1 month later...

I don't see any difference when printing text with the same formatting from Evernote and Word.

DakotaMalamute, Wern,

Can you please give us your printer models, as this could be a printer-specific issue.

Probably related, if you copy some text from EN and paste it in Word, size font 10 in EN becomes size font 13,5 in Word.

Thanks for the report: I've filed case #238872

• 2 weeks later...
Same issue here. Using an EPSON Artisan 810... no issues with other printing. (Ever)Notes are Cambria 11, but printed are much, much larger.

This does not seem to be resolved with the latest update: Windows EN 4.4

• Level 5
Same issue here. Using an EPSON Artisan 810... no issues with other printing. (Ever)Notes are Cambria 11, but printed are much, much larger.

If you select the contents of a test note (Ctrl+A) and change the font size to, say, 10 or 12, does the printout then match that selected font size?

If you select the contents of a test note (Ctrl+A) and change the font size to, say, 10 or 12, does the printout then match that selected font size?

No, no change in printout using 10 font size. EVERNOTE titles: Notebook, Created, etc. are truncated as they are so large. Changing to smallest possible font (8) reduces note text to about a 12 font size but titles remain about 16-18 size (and note on screen to small to easily read)..

• 2 months later...

Thanks, stuball & everyone, for explaining my same problem so well! Font size in the EN Titles is too large so cannot read full title and rest of printed note font also too large. Printer is HP LaserJet 1020, Win7, Evernote 4.4.2. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Problem is very annoying & makes Evernote useless for any business needing printed communications; and hesitate to invest more in EN.

Probably need to submit a question/ticket (whatever they call it) to Evernote.

Probably related, if you copy some text from EN and paste it in Word, size font 10 in EN becomes size font 13,5 in Word.

To that end, I have tons of copy/paste issues when going from EN to any other text editor like Word or google mail. The fonts seem to be randomly sized all over the place.

Grant

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

If anyone has a note that clearly shows this problem, please contact me via PM. We think we've identified the issue, but we could use a few sample notes for testing purposes. Thanks!

If anyone has a note that clearly shows this problem, please contact me via PM. We think we've identified the issue, but we could use a few sample notes for testing purposes. Thanks!

Are you looking for just any note which has printer / screen font size differences?

• Level 5

Are you looking for just any note which has printer / screen font size differences?

Basically, any note that appears to print with a font size larger than you expect (based on its on-screen appearance). But please try it out with the newly-released 4.5.3 first, if possible; we made a fix that we hope addresses this issue. Thanks.

Basically, any note that appears to print with a font size larger than you expect (based on its on-screen appearance). But please try it out with the newly-released 4.5.3 first, if possible; we made a fix that we hope addresses this issue. Thanks.

Will do... Thanks for the hard work.

I've got this same problem, and have had it ever since I first started using Evernote. I'd agree this is a major impediment to my using Evernote more. And I do love Evernote, so I'd like to use it more. Please keep us posted on progress on this problem, and let me know if you need some additional sample notes to test out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue - I initially thought it's just an issue with me, reusing one of my "temp" notes I use to quickly type any kinds of text.

But it's getting a bit annoying as I use it to edit longer eMails and whenever I paste the final mail, the fontsize is increased to 14 (from 10).

Any news/ideas on that front? I know you're "investigating" but how hard can it be, to fix an issue that's clearly just an ill formated clipboard content? As game developer since decades I know there may be a huge issue/load of work under the tiny visible surface of such things but then, it would at least be fair to tell us that and why it's taking so long.

Given this thread it seems to be in the bug database since May 2011. It's easy to find additional threads about this issue which are even way older.

Meanwhile for all those, who just want to get their raw text into other applications but without any formatting, just do a quick copy into any raw text editor and copy/paste again from there - of course it's of no help if you want to keep the formatting.

• Level 5

As you already said, EN developers ARE aware of this issue. Some users have reported that the recent updates have fixed this but not for all. So it remains an issue for many users and we don't know when it will be fixed.

And no, EN does not publish delivery dates. We all have to live with it for the time being. :)

I didn't expect anything else but such a reply :-)

Doesn't make it any better if they know it and don't be transparent at all and in addition I'd say it doesn't hurt bring issues to the front every now and then - it really helps other users/customers so I'm happy to bump the thread once more :-)

Evernote is definitely still looking into the problem, but, the print problem is environmental. It works for most users but a significant number are still having problems.

e.g. I can reproduce the problem, but, the developers can not using an enex that exhibits the problem on my system.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

One year on and these problems STILL EXIST! Apart from the print size issue, I also cannot print text in italic, nor can I underline any words: it messes up the text when I do.

There are so many little annoying bugs in Evernote. Given the popularity of the program, and the time you've had to investigate these minor faults, it really is quite pathetic that they haven't been fixed. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's the truth.

Please can you update us as to when they will be fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - in case it helps, I have this problem when using Evernote on Windows (print is massive, bears no relation to font size and underline ends up being crossed out). But when I print the exact same notes on my Mac, they come out perfectly. Both are running the latest versions on their respective platforms.

• 5 months later...

Just jumping in here to say that I came across this issue a couple days ago. Mostly because I rarely print anything. However I really needed to print this info out to give to someone and was shocked how big the text was. What should have taken two or three pages was six pages long. So then I thought well I'll just paste it into Word - again somehow the 10pt got change to 14pt. So then I had to resort to pasting as text and re-applying all the formatting.  Not fun. Seems to occur on all my notes. Wish you would fix this soon because printing is basically useless right now... Using Windows 7 and EN 4.6.6.8360.

• 1 year later...

I also have this issue and it is 2014.  This issue has been a problem since 2011?  I don't understand.  If I reduce the font in Evernote down to 8pt it prints about 12pt.  You cannot reduce font below 8pt.  I am using latest version of Evernote on a Windows 8 computer and I am printing to HPLaserJetP1102W.  If I print to CutePDF, I have the same result.

Archived