(Archived) Improvement suggestions for Evernote

rosamarie

Idea

The outline formatting for the below was lost. See this link: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... UfXZOgRLSc

* Have to input a title for each note (should automatically make the title as the first few words of the note if unspecified)

* Have to input the tag so that i have to tab twice from the title to go to the writing box (get the tag out, it's not useful for anything)

* I already write stuff for different categories under different notebooks, so there is no need for tags. If there are different notebooks that categorizezes, then tags are unnecessary. There needn't be two different organizing functions. Rather, put the notebook in place of 'tags' option and make it automatically write in the notebook that you are currently at.

* On the iPhone, have to tap the edit button to edit it, as opposed to just tapping anywhere on the note itself like the Notes app in iPhone does

* Have to aim and click to go to different notes

* Should have shortcut to go to the notes column from a note (by the left arrow) and to the notebooks column (also by the left arrow) and vice versa by the right arrow

* It needs to have option for viewing one note without the columns of notes and notebooks

* it takes up the whole screen and you can't multitask at the same time

* It needs to have background color option

* background picture option

* The font size needs to be flexible (manual input should be made available).

* I want a font size between 18 and 24 but there is no option for that.

* Needs to have archive function for some notes that you don't need at the moment but might need later

20 replies to this idea

Ahhh, ok. This thread suddenly makes sense to me now.

That is definitely great feedback. We've discussed this internally and it's always good to hear users echo the same thing.

• Level 5*

dlu, I think the use case they are describing is when the user is running in full screen mode. It looks like Evernote does the same as Apple Mail and opens the selected note (or email) in a modal window preventing the user from selecting any other item.

It's this behaviour that makes full screen not work for me in Apple Mail (and one of the reasons it doesn't work for Evernote).

To state how ridiculous Evernote is right now, imagine for a second Skype not having the shortcut to toggle between chatting boxes. Imagine that you have to click on the different chatting pane each time you want to go back to chatting with Bob after chatting with Jim. But then you have to move your hand to the mouse, aim at the chatting tab with Bob, and move the cursor and click to go there. See how incovenient that would be? That's what's happening in Evernote. Is there an app like Evernote where you can move between notes easily?

You can open each note in a separate window. Double click on a note in the middle panel. Then you can switch between windows however you like

• Level 5*
Sometimes when I write on my Evernote something to post on a forum or send as an email when I don't have internet access, and I forget later on to do so. It would be nice to have a 'send' or 'publish' button so that it automatically does it as soon as there is internet connection. (Kind of like Skype, where you can send a message when offline and it will go as soon as you are connected again)

Does 'Sync' not do exactly this?

I have spent a couple of hours today updating to Evernote 3.0.1 both on an old iMac, and on my original Macbook AIR.. both running the latest Lion version.

The AIR took an enormous time to update, so I would like to suggest you make deciding which Notebooks to hold online optional, just like the Mobile apps.. that way I can continue using the Evernote app. The alternative is simply to use the web version..

Thanks

To state how ridiculous Evernote is right now, imagine for a second Skype not having the shortcut to toggle between chatting boxes. Imagine that you have to click on the different chatting pane each time you want to go back to chatting with Bob after chatting with Jim. But then you have to move your hand to the mouse, aim at the chatting tab with Bob, and move the cursor and click to go there. See how incovenient that would be? That's what's happening in Evernote. Is there an app like Evernote where you can move between notes easily?

Another suggestion:

Sometimes when I write on my Evernote something to post on a forum or send as an email when I don't have internet access, and I forget later on to do so. It would be nice to have a 'send' or 'publish' button so that it automatically does it as soon as there is internet connection. (Kind of like Skype, where you can send a message when offline and it will go as soon as you are connected again)

To clarify this:

Should have shortcut to go to the notes column from a note (by the left arrow) and to the notebooks column (also by the left arrow) and vice versa by the right arrow
I mean that I frequently like to toggle between notes and to do that you have to aim and click on another notebook or something. It would be nice if I can see all my recently edited notes together and see the titles and punch some shortkey like command + # to go to note #. Kind of like in Chrome and Firefox you can do command+# to go to tab number #.

As well as being able to go to the next tab by CTRL + tab, you should be able to go to the next note with out having to click on the "Notes" column.

Right now you can move up and down the notes column by the arrow keys but can't go over to the notes to edit it by the right arrow key or can't go to the notebook column by pressing the left arrow key, so it's very cumbersome and unpleasant experience trying to navigate to different notes.

• Level 5*

I am not a Mac person, so I can't comment on some of your issues; the Windows client has some of the capabilities that you're asking for (auto-titling of notes, etc.).

The outline formatting for the below was lost. See this link: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... UfXZOgRLSc

This came through perfectly on the Windows client, clipping several ways (via the web clipper --> web, via copy/paste directly into local Evernote instance).

* Have to input a title for each note (should automatically make the title as the first few words of the note if unspecified)

As stated, this works in the Windows client.

* Have to input the tag so that i have to tab twice from the title to go to the writing box (get the tag out, it's not useful for anything)

* I already write stuff for different categories under different notebooks, so there is no need for tags. If there are different notebooks that categorizezes, then tags are unnecessary. There needn't be two different organizing functions. Rather, put the notebook in place of 'tags' option and make it automatically write in the notebook that you are currently at.

Tags and notebooks serve separate organizational functions and are not redundant. A note belongs to exactly one notebook (and hence partition the note space), but a note can have many tags (and I like to think of tags as describing notes); tags are also independent of notebooks. Granted, some users might want to dispense with tags, in favor of notebooks, for organizing, but tags are an important part of Evernote, and a lot of people use them.

* On the iPhone, have to tap the edit button to edit it, as opposed to just tapping anywhere on the note itself like the Notes app in iPhone does

For iPhone specific questions, you're probably better off asking in the iPhone forum: you'll probably get better answers, and other iPhone users are more likely to look there for answers to the same problems.

I don't really understand the context of your other points (are they Mac related or iPhone related?), so I'll ignore those.

Archived