(Archived) 2 feature requests - please

NightStalker

Idea

1. Why do the Mac version and the Windows version treat PDFs differently? On the Mac, I can have the PDF as either an attachment, or inline, whereby the entire document is spread out open from top to bottom. In the Windows version, the PDF is treated like a booklet, with the first page showing (and which provides the icon) then a scroll bar page-turner appears when one hovers over the first page.

It would be REALLY good if the Mac and Windows version treated PDFs the same way, and perhaps adding to the Mac-version options for "Full in-line display" and "Booklet display" as per the Windows version. Currently, the Mac has two of these (In-line or attachment) while Windows has the booklet display only. Why can't we have all three options in both versions, for consistency?

2. The sort order of the notes is very limited, in both versions. We are limited to the pre-defined sort orders (i.e. Title, Date created, etc etc). But what about adding "Free form"? In other words, I have most of my notes in order of date created, BUT there are some that I would REALLY like to drag together. For example, I have a series of PDF manuals for an item of equipment, and I really don't want to add them all into the one note (especially on the Mac where they would all be, by default, opened out into all pages showing). I'd like to drag the manuals together, with Pt 1, then Pt 2, Pt 3, etc in order in my note list. Even if I add all these to a new notebook (I would end up with a bazillion notebooks if I did that for everything), I still can't drag them into the order that I want them, unless I add some number up front of the title then sort by title. Which is a klutzy workaround.

So, to summarize:

1. Uniform treatment of PDFs between Mac and Windows versions of EN, with all three options available on right-click: opened in-line, closed booklet, or attachment.

2. Ability to drag notes up and down in the list and have EN remember the order under a heading of "Freeform" or similar. Sequential ordering would be good, obviously - i.e. sort by date, and THEN drag notes where they are wanted as a "sub-sort". The ability to fix certain notes as a GROUP perhaps would be good too: if notes associated with a particular project are dragged into a specific order then "glued" as a GROUP, so that subsequent sorts by date or title do NOT break this group.

Would anyone else find those features useful?

Thanks EN team :)

EDIT: Cross-posted to Windows group as it is relevant to both. Apologies if this is 'wrong'

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=24179&p=103787#p103787

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1. Why do the Mac version and the Windows version treat PDFs differently? On the Mac, I can have the PDF as either an attachment, or inline, whereby the entire document is spread out open from top to bottom. In the Windows version, the PDF is treated like a booklet, with the first page showing (and which provides the icon) then a scroll bar page-turner appears when one hovers over the first page.

The Windows and Mac dev teams don't always operate in lockstep, but Evernote does strive for consistency, as much as possible. See this post: http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=23701&p=102366&hilit=ShowInlinePDF#p102352. I can verify that the registry setting is in the latest Windows beta (4.3.0.4217), but I don't know if there's actually any UI that allows you to change it yet, and I can't verify that it's being honored yet either (it doesn't seem to be for me).

2. The sort order of the notes is very limited, in both versions. We are limited to the pre-defined sort orders (i.e. Title, Date created, etc etc). But what about adding "Free form"? In other words, I have most of my notes in order of date created, BUT there are some that I would REALLY like to drag together. For example, I have a series of PDF manuals for an item of equipment, and I really don't want to add them all into the one note (especially on the Mac where they would all be, by default, opened out into all pages showing). I'd like to drag the manuals together, with Pt 1, then Pt 2, Pt 3, etc in order in my note list. Even if I add all these to a new notebook (I would end up with a bazillion notebooks if I did that for everything), I still can't drag them into the order that I want them, unless I add some number up front of the title then sort by title. Which is a klutzy workaround.

For the freeform sort ordering, yes, it's been requested before. Have no idea whether it will ever be implemented.

Separate issue: you do not always need to to group notes using notebooks (unless a bazillion is less than 250, you can't have a bazillion of them :)). Tags are very much useful for that purpose though, and you can have 10,000 of them (current limits).

If you're going to cross-post to different forums, you should at least cross-link the threads, so someone following one can easily get to the other one.

Thanks Jeff. Sorry for the cross-posting - I don't know how to cross-link the threads though, so apologies for that too.

I hope those two features can be implemented. Using separate notebooks, or even tags, STILL doesn't allow for the freeform reordering of notes - they still obey the pre-defined sort order.

Thanks for the reply - appreciated :)

• Level 5*
Thanks Jeff. Sorry for the cross-posting - I don't know how to cross-link the threads though, so apologies for that too.

Just take the url for this page, and add it as an edit to the cross-posted page in the other forum, in your ending line where you're telling us they're cross-posted, then do the same for that page.

STILL doesn't allow for the freeform reordering of notes - they still obey the pre-defined sort order.

Understood.

Just take the url for this page, and add it as an edit to the cross-posted page in the other forum, in your ending line where you're telling us they're cross-posted, then do the same for that page.

Done, hopefully :) And thanks again :)

Archived