2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×
ajschmidt

windows Collapsible / Expandable Outlines within Notes

Idea

I second this request! Collapsible bullets would be very helpful.

• Like 4

This would be fantastic!! When I'm studying a certain topic, I like to have one note for that topic and use the bulleted lists to keep it organized. It would be amazing if you could collapse bulleted items, even if it were just the top level bullets, although I would imaging if you could do the top level, it wouldn't require much additional logic to get the nested bullets to collapse as well.

• Like 1

I second this request! Collapsible bullets would be very helpful.

+1

from an old user of DOS ThinkTank, GrandView, Tornado Notes, and recently Windows InfoSelect.

CP

• Like 1

That'd be awesome but you can just use a separate app for outlines and still organize them in evernote. The same goes for mind maps or any other files.

Not to poo poo this topic, but whatever the usefulness of having this kind of outline functionality, I think it's pretty unlikely that this kind of functionality would work across platforms, so I don't see it happening. Anyhow, I think it is fair to say that a lot of people want Evernote to do outlining :)

• Like 2

@grumpyMonkey, yeah that's true. I can't imagine this implemented in near future.

Well actually I can imagine but it's not going to happen LOL !

Still you can have this functionality by using additional tools - no need to wait for evernote team to implement it... Separate tools would also be better because they are focused on just one thing and do it great.

• Like 1

Still you can have this functionality by using additional tools - no need to wait for evernote team to implement it... Separate tools would also be better because they are focused on just one thing and do it great.

I totally agree. One of the things I like about Evernote is that it doesn't have feature bloat and it does what it does well.

• Like 2

It is not clear how a new feature gets approved inside of Evernote.

It seems unpredictable.

I have watched feature requests like "Note Links" be requested for several years by many users, all the while the usual reasons for NOT implementing the feature were repeatedly given by Evernote and some of the evangelists.

Then one day, boom! An EN Blog was published releasing Note Links. The marketing made it sound like Evernote had just discovered/implemented one of key features of all time. :-)

So while no one should count on a new feature request, it never hurts, IMO, for users to keep on making the request for it.

• Like 4

Note links are essential imho, I always wanted to use them before they were added but didn't expect evernote team to implement them. So yeah, it's true - you never know. Outlining could be done with a separate app so it doesn't matter to me if they add it or not. If they do it'd be awesome, if not - that's fine too..

I really like all the features they added to windows client over the past year or so - note links, tabs to search for tags. It's exactly what was missing for me.

Looks like they know what they are doing ! LOL

Only problem is iPad client at the moment...

It is not clear how a new feature gets approved inside of Evernote.

It seems unpredictable.

I have watched feature requests like "Note Links" be requested for several years by many users, all the while the usual reasons for NOT implementing the feature were repeatedly given by Evernote and some of the evangelists.

Then one day, boom! An EN Blog was published releasing Note Links. The marketing made it sound like Evernote had just discovered/implemented one of key features of all time. :-)

So while no one should count on a new feature request, it never hurts, IMO, for users to keep on making the request for it.

yep. you never know, and it never hurts to ask.

links, though, are pretty widely supported across platforms inside apps and, of course, in browsers. this is just a guess, but i think outlining is tricky beyond the basics that you can get with something like <ul> or <li> in html. nevermind any of the evernote app-specific obstacles that might exist.

if evernote can pull it off, it will put them well ahead of a lot of competitors. if not, i'll be ok. as suggested above, there is always copy / paste from other apps if complicated outliing is really necessary.

I would really like to see a collapsible tap feature because some of my notes get a little too long to be able to scroll through them easily.

Sometimes I make secondary notes and link to them, or I try to make my details smaller and my headers bigger to provide the easy visual scanning of my note content that I'd like. However, it would be great if there were collapsible bullets, such as [+] and [-] type of symbol, that would function just like the checkbox--with a single click on any platform.

• Like 1

Yes, some kind of collapsible region (think visual studio style), or collapsible zone will be highly useful for me and many people I know that use evernote too.

Sometimes I copy and paste HTML / programming codes into evernote, but I don't want to see it all the time. I only need it when I want to refer to it and expand to view it. +1

I'm very close to move to:

http://www.circusponies.com/downloads

Just because it has this feature.

Regards,

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Circus Ponies is a very good app, and it arguably does a better job than Evernote with outlines. To be honest, a lot of other applications do this or that better than Evernote. In the end, you have to choose the application that best fits your use case, so you should make sure to look around at your options.

There are trade-offs to be made with each application, and in the case of Evernote, it often has fewer features / less powerful features than apps designed to work on a single platform.

On the other hand, Circus Ponies only works on a single platform, and Evernote works pretty much everywhere. This thread is for Windows users, and as far as I know, Circus Ponies has no app for Windows. 

In short, I think if you want an app that will work no matter what platform you are using, then Evernote is the best solution. If you know that you are only going to be using a single platform, then you may have more options, though even then, things like shared notebooks, powerful searching, etc. will be out of your reach. 

• Like 1

+1 for collapsible outlining

(representing users grown up using microsoft word outline view and microsoft onenote bullets)

I would like to see this feature. Anyways I give my support! :)+1

+1

for 2 reasons or usages:

- Long Notes simpler to handle

- A privacy feature: no, I'm not talking about hiding sensitive data where encryption is used, but it requires typing a password, waiting several seconds EN to decrypt (on my Android device) and type password any time I open the note.

I'm a sales agent;

I keep quotations with me on the road on different EN notes; when a client hasn't the printed quotation with him, I can (must) show it on my EN app.

But where can I save quotation discounts, notes, known competitors, ...  not to show them to my customer?

• I can create a linked note: not so easy to handle (especially on mobile devices), duplicated notes for same subject, waste of time and space
  • I can create an attachment and put this notes inside it (solution I'm using right now): waste of time, handling external apps to manage attachment (especially on mobile devices where attachments are harder to handle)

With a dropdown feature, all this would be much easier and faster to achieve

Cheers.

G

• Like 2

+1!

Just switched from Notepad++. Clearly the functionality in Evernote is much greater, but being able to quickly add collapsible regions/folds to notes (preferably with the option to use some text signifier for the start and end of the fold . . .) would be killer. 

+1,

-- And while we're at it, how about making collapsible tables too (kind of like Excel's Outlining feature)?

Feature Request: Add Outlining Capabilities to Evernote

Evernote is great, but it's dying for the ability to create Notes that contain Outlines which are easily collapsed and expanded during creation and in use.

One way to implement it would be a switchable editing mode, between standard formatting or outline mode.

In outline mode, pressing the Enter key creates a new outline item, and pressing the Tab key changes the current item into a sub-item.

Clicking on an item's action icon causes its sub-items to collapse out of, or expand into view. That's the way the Ecco Pro PIM did it, and something simple like that would be a good start for Evernote.

The name Evernote implies a product that takes notes -and collapsible/expandable outlines are a huge part of note taking.

Any status on this?

Afraid not. It's a much requested feature on this Forum, but there's no way to know when, or if, they will implement it. But, if folks keep asking it might, eventually happen.

In the meantime, you'd be better off looking at apps like Workflowly, which I believe intergrateds well with Evernote.

Feature Request: Add Outlining Capabilities to Evernote

Evernote is great, but it's dying for the ability to create Notes that contain Outlines which are easily collapsed and expanded during creation and in use.

One way to implement it would be a switchable editing mode, between standard formatting or outline mode.

In outline mode, pressing the Enter key creates a new outline item, and pressing the Tab key changes the current item into a sub-item.

Clicking on an item's action icon causes its sub-items to collapse out of, or expand into view. That's the way the Ecco Pro PIM did it, and something simple like that would be a good start for Evernote.

The name Evernote implies a product that takes notes -and collapsible/expandable outlines are a huge part of note taking.

Any status on this?

+1 on collapsable lists

Also an "outline" mode would be nice. It would just change the keyboard shortcuts within a small part of a document
(so that tab indents lists in the way you expect)

I use WorkFlowy.com for my master outline of Collapsible / Expandable tasks and reminders.

When needed, I export the open items into Evernote or OneNote for reference. 

+1, I love Evernote, but just saw WorkFlowy has this.

• Like 1

I created an account just to search for this keyword and I found this topic!

+1 for this! :D

Definitely! +1 on this feature.

Evernote MUST have collapsible items as it already has listitems and checkboxes...!

I had to create an account on Workflowy to try their alternative 

• Like 1

Hey guys, I just moved this thread to the Windows Feedback forum so we can vote on it.

If you want this feature, then you need to go to the top of this page and click on the UpVote arrow:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png.eaf9c6c8398a8943a7e

• Like 1

Of course 1000000 x !

really love Evenote but have to use Omnifocus in parallel because of this gap ! I think we really need a Collapsible / Expandable outlines within Notes, & the same for notebooks, having the possibility to make sub notebooks !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matthewzzz said:

Of course 1000000 x !

Don't know what that means.  Did you vote?

Did anyone find any note taking app that does this since it seems like Evernote may not come out with this feature anytime soon (it's been 3 years).

21 hours ago, JL said:

Did anyone find any note taking app that does this since it seems like Evernote may not come out with this feature anytime soon (it's been 3 years).

It has been a while, but no. Recently I tried OneNote by MIcrosoft, but there is no tag system in the app. Also it's kinda weird since they are trying to make it as actual notebook. Anyway, I finished getting back to Evernote. I really wish that Evernote team clarify if this proposed feature can be done or not.

On 3/9/2016 at 6:41 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Hey guys, I just moved this thread to the Windows Feedback forum so we can vote on it.

If you want this feature, then you need to go to the top of this page and click on the UpVote arrow:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

lol I didn't know that. It's been a while since I have read this threat again. Voted!

+1 for me. I've really come to like how Evernote keeps me on track with my projects. But having too many details that are important, but aren't required to be visible all the time can complicate my workflow. 

could create separate notes for each and every item that I would like to collapse and create links to them from one main/master note, but I get weary about creating so many micro-notes that they get lost in the shuffle. Expand/Collapse sections would be super handy to keep major themes in one, core note.

I would also love this feature! Probably my top request at this point. There are so many potential uses for it.

+1 from a premium user.  We NEED this.  I would like to be able to fold on {{{ and }}} or fold from heading to heading.

• Like 1

+1 premium!

Where we can see status of this feature? Any issue tracking system link?

This feature request is really OS independent.  Shouldn't it be combined with the same feature request under General Discussions?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

This feature request is really OS independent.  Shouldn't it be combined with the same feature request under General Discussions?

Maybe now that they have a common editor (though I don't know exactly how widespread its use is), that's probably a good idea.

Please add on this feature as soon as possible. This request has been here since 2011... I am really growing impatient about this...

• Like 1

This feature would be very beneficial.  I'm currently looking for this in other programs/apps, lets hope it gets implemented soon so i can stay with Evernote.

• Like 1

+ 1!

Would be much appreciated when it come to long notes!
I think is EN is not only about taking notes, but also the beneficial to read your note afterwords 

For those of you, who wait as desparately as I am, there is a workaround. Use SUblime Text as frontend for Evernote. All you need is to install the evernote plugin for sublime text and it works

On 2017-01-12 at 5:03 AM, StefanPapp said:

For those of you, who wait as desparately as I am, there is a workaround. Use SUblime Text as frontend for Evernote. All you need is to install the evernote plugin for sublime text and it works

There are many solutions to having word processing features with data stored in Evernote.

I think the consensus of people posting in this discussion is: they only want to use the Evernote editor and the features must be built in.  The use of different editors and formats is not an acceptable solution

My solution is to use the Word/Pages - what are the benefits of SUblime Text?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

They can not accept the fact there are different editors and formats for the data

Not sure about that ..

I think folks are just saying they would find this a beneficial addition to Evernote, at least that is the camp I'm in.

• Like 1

Please add on this feature as soon as possible. This request has been here since 2011... I am really growing impatient about this...

+1.  An outline for me acts almost as a collaborator.  You can dump down the ideas free flow, see patterns and organize:

• Collapse allows for being able to deal with many pages of content in a single view
  • Properly implemented drag/drop allows for quick organization:
    • Dragging to a collapsed entry should open the entry, and allow placement anywhere within the entry (many outliners get this wrong)
    • Dragging should be allowed both in vertical and horizontal directions at the same time.  When I move an entry, I may want to promote/demote the entry (many outliners get it wrong)
  • It's nice to be able to embed other data types within the outline (pictures, etc), but, isn't mandatory, IMO
  • It would not be a requirement for outline to allow for dragging anywhere within a doc.  If it was constrained to a contiguous list, that would meet 90% of my requirements.  To move outside of the list, there's copy/paste.
  • Like 1

Most outline zealots seem to really like Workflowy.

44 minutes ago, j0001s said:

+1.  An outline for me acts almost as a collaborator.  You can dump down the ideas free flow, see patterns and organize...

2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Most outline zealots seem to really like Workflowy.

I'm +1 on the benefits of an outline and I'll achieve those benefits without dumping Evernote

Yes, the outline feature is not offered by the Evernote editor (hence this request), but I have no problem using alternate editors. For example Word/Pages attachments work well in EN

+1 for collapsible outlines.

At least in the Windows sub-forum, this is far and away the most upvoted feature request, with nearly 3x as many votes as the second most upvoted request. Dunno where this feature request rates in the Mac sub-forum - probably a distant runner-up to "more white space and less content". :P

Collapsible outlines would also capture some of the benefits of another popular feature request - internal note links.

18 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm +1 on the benefits of an outline and I'll achieve those benefits without dumping Evernote

10-4.  Not much of an outliner myself, just offering an option if one absolutely has to have it.

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, the outline feature is not offered by the Evernote editor (hence this request), but I have no problem using alternate editors. For example Word/Pages attachments work well in EN

The difference with my workflow is that I always have a multi-tab outliner open (the OPs aforementioned Ecco Pro).  A thought crosses my mind on any one of the many projects that I'm working on, I flip to that tab and write it in.  Then, when I'm working dedicated on the project, I go and organize.  The one-doc/one-outline approach of Word/Pages doesn't cut it for me, and I've always have found the Word/Pages outline features clunky.

So, Evernote is SO close to meeting my workflow model, and in fact could better it, being able to really quickly open up the right Note (equivalent to my tabs, without the tab limitation) as well as all the other great organization features that Evernote brings to the table.

I know us outliner junkies are not that common.  I would dearly love to move away from Ecco, a program that was Windows only, follows none of the current GUI standards, and was abandoned in 1996.  (BTW, I'm on a Mac, and run Windows under Parallels just so I can still run Ecco...)  But I have never found anything better for outlining.  Evernote could be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j0001s said:

The difference with my workflow is that I always have a multi-tab outliner open (the OPs aforementioned Ecco Pro).

omg  I was an Ecco fan back in the day, I have fond memories of it.  But when it died I gave it a decent burial and moved on. 

I don't think Evernote, or this request in the same tool class as Ecco

Thanks for the recollection though, even if your use seems Norman Bates-ish

+1

On 2/23/2017 at 2:25 PM, j0001s said:

I always have a multi-tab outliner open (the OPs aforementioned Ecco Pro)

It's amazing and a testimony to ECCO's brilliance that some folks are still using it almost 20 years after its death! I wrote ECCO's Correspondence Manager and Mail Merge Wizard modules and did ECCO training and consulting with many companies.  It still has no equal as an organizational tool IMO.  I took on the project of creating an ECCO-like outlining version of Evernote, TuskTools Treeliner, but alas there just wasn't sufficient demand to release it as a product.

I would also like collapsible outlines in Evernote, but that would not bring it close to ECCO!

• Like 2

needed!  Also, just general ability to create collapsible sections, images down to thumbnails (hover zoom?). all interiors of which to be searchable.  Make ORGANIZATION much easier and effective!

+1 for collapsible sections.  Seems like this has been going on since 2011......  This was a great feature in Lotus Notes when I worked at IBM. I would not call it feature creep.

This has been going on for years. But you all know that....

After getting the occasional notification that someone else wants this feature, I decided to log on here today and poke around a bit. I suspected that this request has been duplicated in the windows area, mac, iphone, eniac, you name it. I was wanting to find out the definitive way to get through to Evernote....

I did notice that Evernote has created a new area for broad feature requests. Ones that aren't platform specific. They have, apparently, harvesting these requests and put them into a single genera area. They sort them based on the number of votes. A more recent version of this request (from 2014....) has been posted there and we are sitting in 7th place. Yes 'we'. 'Place' too. Don't think this isn't a game. It's us vs the other ideas.

Can I please suggest (or even beg) anyone remotely wanting this feature to vote on THAT thread. Let's boost the position higher. Who knows, we may get some traction (but I not betting on it)

Here's the specific thread :

Or perhaps, go there manually from the top of this forum

Forums -> Evernote Feature Requests

The first post introduces the new area, the voting ranking etc

Look down for 'Text Collapse' currently at 64 votes.

Let's jack up that number....

Hit the vote button. Don't just write '+1' in the comments.

Hit the button now.

• Like 2

A view from the other side. 

Over the past 9 years, I've accumulated 47,000 notes in Evernote. I tried a few powerful outline programs in the past but kept coming back to Evernote. In my opinion, it is easier to use the flexibility with 1.) my existing tags, 2.) structured titles, and 3.) Evernote's search grammar to view/filter/hide the info.

There are already a lot of powerful outline programs available.  Workflowy (free) and 
https://lifehacker.com/5419988/five-best-outlining-tools

11 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

There are already a lot of powerful outline programs available.  Workflowy (free) and 
https://lifehacker.com/5419988/five-best-outlining-tools

As your link indicates, MS Word has an outlining feature
This works for me, since most of my complex documents are in Word format
Evernote works well with Office documents as attachments to a note

• Like 1

I mind about interesting solution case that it would be nice to implement, where you could simply select the text you want to "collapse" and by right mouse click on it will get context menu with some "create related note" menu item. Then it should create new note populated with previously selected text and insert link instead of selected text at parent node.

In this case we use default functionality but only need to add context menu item with some automation.

2 hours ago, Paul Merrett said:

You're right!

I give up.

Thanks for pointing this out.....

You can edit your note and change the link

F4AF3E56-624C-4BD1-A7E4-284FD4039E8A.jpeg.7a371c40c6d25123879fb62804973155.jpeg

On 1/4/2018 at 12:47 PM, AndyAndy said:

yes please

On 3/13/2018 at 11:14 AM, tomedwards4695 said:

Please implement this! 

On 3/14/2018 at 3:27 PM, Paul Merrett said:

Sadly I think we are all just talking among ourselves 

You're welcome to indicate your support for this feature request.  Voting buttons are in the upper left corner of the discussion.

Otherwise, you're posting your comments in a user discussion forum.

This is a much-needed enhancement.  OneNote does this well, and I wish Evernote did it too.

+1

This feature is the only reason why I'm considering moving over to Workflowy

Seriously... how is this not a feature yet?  Is Evernote even working on it?  Is it even on the roadmap?  I get that we have to "Pick our apps to fit our needs"; but some of us are hoping to stick and grow with Evernote.  This is clearly a feature many longtime Evernote users have been asking for; but what we get is crickets...