(Archived) Premium Question - Word Docs

audiofreak

Idea

Hi,

I LOVE EN, and am considering a Premium membership and wanted to ask a potentially stupid question, lol. If I were to import a Word Doc into EN with a premium membership, will I be able to edit that document in EN? Right now, I convert things to PDF and import PDFs which I obviously can not edit in EN, and I am hoping to be able to do that with Word.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I believe that the Mac client works in the same was as the Windows client: Word documents and other attachments are handled by using whatever the OS is configured to use when it encounters one of these file types. The Windows client also allows you to choose a different editing program than the default, as well.

• Level 5

Just keep in mind that Word Docs are not searchable in Evernote.

If there is something in the document that I want to search, I will copy it and paste it into the same note but outside of the Doc.

Ah, that's good to know. So, it's best to copy from the doc, into a new note and go that way. Perhaps that's the way to go? I just hate having to do it that way, ya know? I'd rather just drag in... but having it searchable is important.

Thanks guys!

• Level 5
Ah, that's good to know. So, it's best to copy from the doc, into a new note and go that way. Perhaps that's the way to go? I just hate having to do it that way, ya know? I'd rather just drag in... but having it searchable is important.

Thanks guys!

What I do is just copy some of the key points, not the entire document. I let the tags pick up some of the search as well.

Just keep in mind that Word Docs are not searchable in Evernote.

If there is something in the document that I want to search, I will copy it and paste it into the same note but outside of the Doc.

The advantage of jbenson2's approach vs PDF is that the Search terms will be highlighted in the Note text, whereas it finds, but does NOT highlight text in the PDF.

. . . And if you have the whole of your PDF displayed then the search text is highlighted.

metrodon,

Thank you for pointing this out! I had made the bad assumption that EN Mac worked like EN Win.

And it does NOT!!!!

EN Win does NOT highlight the text in the PDF.

This is huge! If Evernote will change EN Win to do this, then including PDFs in addition to the native document (like Word) is a non-brainer! Best of both worlds!

Thanks again.

Archived