(Archived) Evernote for Android v. 3.0 Alpha 3

Hey folks -

The 3.x Android client is really coming together. I think you'll find the update a pleasure to use.

Here's the run-down on the latest updates:

• [*:2rs1d2ox]Hierarchal tag view: you asked for it, you got it.
    [*:2rs1d2ox]Updating notebook and shared notebook lists with improved look and feel, including a collapsable list view in stacks
    [*:2rs1d2ox]Updated maps view
    [*:2rs1d2ox]Set note location on map
    [*:2rs1d2ox]Updated PIN lock
    [*:2rs1d2ox] Many bug fixes

Check for updates or download now at:

http://s.evernote.com/androidpreview

I just tried it and YES!! it's perfect! That's EXACTLY what I needed for my hierarchy of tags! You folks are awesome! INSTANT premium member, and I don't have to read ignorant replies from a certain fast food enthusiast anymore.

THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.

You guys rock!!!!! Thanks for all the recent changes.

The only problems I'm having are with shortcuts when the pin is active. When I select a shortcut the pin input pad pops up, after I enter the pin the note does not display properly. The header for the note will be there but not the contents. If I deactivate the pin input everything works fine.

Keep the changes coming. Evernote has become the most useful app on android.

Is it just me or is the active click area on the Dashboard really small? It seems to only register clicks when they happen on the actual icons which seems very weird to me. In my opinion the whole button container (the textfield included) should respond to touch.

I also found this graphical glitch in the Notes view where the thumb-scroller lies under the month-separator:

screenshot_16.png

Edit:

Oh I noticed a few other things as well.

The pins in the map view are quite low res, they need hdpi-drawables in order to look nice:

screenshot_18.png

The maps icon looks kind of weird and low res as well:

screenshot_19.png

All in all it looks like a solid update, keep up the good work! :D

Checki f updates didn't find anything, had to download it manually. Being able to set the location is nice, was finally able to fix some notes that showed up in Africa with 0, 0 coordinates.

I am having the same issue as many others in this post. I keep downloading the file because it says an update is available. However, after installing the update I still have alpha 2 installed. I have tried unstalling and reinstalling but I have the same issue.

Also, when I save a web page using Evernote, it no longer saves the source link.

Anyone else having the same issues?

Can someone help? Thanks.

The only problems I'm having are with shortcuts when the pin is active. When I select a shortcut the pin input pad pops up, after I enter the pin the note does not display properly. The header for the note will be there but not the contents. If I deactivate the pin input everything works fine.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it is an issue and we will fix it in next release.

Tag navigation is now awesome. Thank you! This is by far the BEST version of Evernote for Android yet.

The only issue I have is auto-capitalization in the title text box. I hardly EVER capitalize every word in my titles, and it makes typing in titles a chore for me, but I realize that some (or maybe many) users do, so here's my suggestion: make title auto-capitalization a boolean option in Evernote settings/preferences.

Keep up the awesome job, Evernote!

-Mike

Would it be possible to get an updated version of Alpha 3 with the correct embedded version number, just so we can get it to stop hounding us about updated it to the latest version, even though we are already running the latest version? Thanks.

Also, alpha 2 is still stickied.

LOVE this Alpha 3, however, a couple of issues:

1. on the home screen, it shows I have 1 shared notebook, and I actually shouldn't have any. How do I 'unshare' a notebook?

2. I never noticed the maps on the public version but on this, all the map pins are way off. It shows restaurants at wrong locations, and other notes in wrong locations. How do the pins show up in the first place? And why aren't ALL my notes pinned to the map? (Sorry, I'll do a forum search on this)

Thanks!!

Would it be possible to get an updated version of Alpha 3 with the correct embedded version number, just so we can get it to stop hounding us about updated it to the latest version, even though we are already running the latest version? Thanks.

Pretty Please!! I'm getting tired of downloading the same update over and over.

Does this new version set the coordinates of your note from your phone?

When I am on my phone and I take a picture and create a note. It would be nice if it recorded the coordinates. When I am on my computer there is an option that says "click to set location" and then it lets me type in coordinates.

Nevermind... I just figured that out in my settings on my phone..

I've downloaded and installed it via the update function in the application as well as via this post. It says that I am running alpha 2, build 132747. Every few days the application notifies me that there is an update available... which just repeats the process.

I've downloaded and installed it via the update function in the application as well as via this post. It says that I am running alpha 2, build 132747. Every few days the application notifies me that there is an update available... which just repeats the process.

Right, we're all having that same problem.

• 1 month later...

I strongly second Mike's request that auto-capitalization in the title text box be made an option. In fact, I suggest that the auto-capitalization "feature" be removed entirely, because:

(1) Almost Nobody Types Titles With A Cap On Every Single Word. It's a very outdated look (and, in fact, those publications that use do use extensive capitalization in titles and headlines retain lower case on prepositions and articles like "to", "a", etc.)

(2) Users should be left free to make their own choices about what kind of emphasis, if any, to use in titles.

(3) This auto-cap behavior on the Android version of Evernote does not appear in the web or Windows desktop versions of Evernote, in which the user is free to enter titles using whatever convention they like. There should be consistency of behavior across all platforms.

(4) The auto-cap behavior is meant to be a convenience. But I am sure there are many more users who use other titling conventions than users who use Caps On Every Word, and it is an inconvenience to this majority to go back and re-edit the title.

David

Tag navigation is now awesome. Thank you! This is by far the BEST version of Evernote for Android yet.

The only issue I have is auto-capitalization in the title text box. I hardly EVER capitalize every word in my titles, and it makes typing in titles a chore for me, but I realize that some (or maybe many) users do, so here's my suggestion: make title auto-capitalization a boolean option in Evernote settings/preferences.

Keep up the awesome job, Evernote!

-Mike

Archived