(Archived) Can't turn off bold or apply other attributes

kalnel

• Level 5

I'm not aware of any issues in that area. Which version of EN 4 are you using (see Help -> About). Also, can you provide more specific instructions (e.g., a simple set of instructions to follow to reproduce the issue)?

Thanks,

Emerick

I'm using 4.2.2.3913.

In playing with it just now, I realized that I've described the problem wrong (or a different problem). If I'm typing in bold (or ital, underline, etc.) and I hit CTL-B (or tap the B button), the button doesn't change appearance until AFTER I start typing, as opposed to when I click it or enter the command.

That's very confusing, since it gives the impression that the attributes aren't changing when you apply them. (That's where I got screwed up a few minutes ago.)

One other quick note to add on this. If I type a line in bold, hit ctl-b to turn bold off, pause, switch out of Evernote and into another program, then return to my note, the subsequent text is in bold, as if I never turned bold off.

Steps to reproduce are:

1. Open a note in Evernote

2. Hit ctl-b and start typing in bold

3. Hit ctl-b to turn bold off

4. click on any other open window

5. go back to the Evernote note and begin typing

The text will be in bold, not in plain text, even though you've turned the bold off.

This is consistent for me. Once I select something to be bold, I cannot change it. New text, copied text, doesn't matter. Once you go bold, you never go back. Can't change it with short-cut key (on mac) or through the menu button.

Really annoying. Please help.

• Level 5
One other quick note to add on this. If I type a line in bold, hit ctl-b to turn bold off, pause, switch out of Evernote and into another program, then return to my note, the subsequent text is in bold, as if I never turned bold off.

Steps to reproduce are:

1. Open a note in Evernote

2. Hit ctl-b and start typing in bold

3. Hit ctl-b to turn bold off

4. click on any other open window

5. go back to the Evernote note and begin typing

The text will be in bold, not in plain text, even though you've turned the bold off.

I suspect that as part of step 5, you're clicking with your mouse in the note editor's window. This will instruct the note editor to take on the styling of the text near where you clicked (in this case, it tells the note editor to switch back to bold; a similar issue underlies the other problem you noted in a previous post). We're seeking to make this better in the future. As a short term workaround, you can make this behave correctly by clicking EN4's title bar or using Alt+Tab to switch back to it, as opposed to clicking in the note editor.

Thanks,

Emerick

• Level 5
This is consistent for me. Once I select something to be bold, I cannot change it. New text, copied text, doesn't matter. Once you go bold, you never go back. Can't change it with short-cut key (on mac) or through the menu button.

I can't quite tell, but it sounds like this is an issue in the Mac client? Someone may be able to help you here, but you'll probably have more luck posting on our Mac forum.

Thanks,

Emerick

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I'm new to Evernote. I'm writing a note, and for some reason, after exiting/loging out and returning, the text I wrote had changed size (enlarged from 12 to about 16) and become bold. I can change the size, but I cannot turn off the bold, using the regular editing buttons on the clickable editing menu, or the Ctrl + B shortcut. The "B" in the editing menu will change color to light blue (indicating bold is "on") or to black (bold is "off") when clicked, but the text I've highlighted won't un-bold.

Please advise.

Alex

Archived