(Archived) New clips in 2.0.4 are icons, not inline

christianboyce

Idea

If I have a PDF on my desktop, and I drag it to the Evernote icon, Evernote launches and creates a new note. That part is great. But, the note shows the PDF as an icon (an attachment) rather than showing me the document itself. This happens whether it's a single-page PDF or a multi-page PDF. If I close the new clipping's window, and then double-click its thumbnail in Evernote, it comes up inline, which is what I wanted all along. This seems to have changed in the 2.0.4 update but I may have missed an update along the way so maybe 2.0.3 or earlier. Doesn't matter to me when it kicked in but I would like to get the old behavior back, where the PDF is shown inline from the beginning. Is that possible? Please?

19 replies to this idea

Please explain how I can download the beta you are speaking of. I am not familiar with that process. If I download the beta will the official update also install correctly when it is ready? Thanks for the info.

no problem Wayne.

First and foremost, if you have downloaded Evernote from the Mac Apps Store, then beta is not an option for you. Apple does not allow beta code on their App Store.

If, on the other hand, you have installed Evernote after downloading it from the website, then you can decide if you want to try beta code by going into the Preferences, and checking the appropriate box like shown here:

20110302-c3sxn1e733kuaxwm1584ehh4pd.jpg

A word of caution on running beta quality code. Some things might not work, and definitely monitor the forums more often if you find a problem with beta code.

And to answer your last question, yes, non-beta code will also be installed when available. This morning I was prompted to update from 2.0.5 Beta to 2.0.5 released code, for instance.

Ciao, Luca

Luca, what the easiest fastest way of taking screen clippings, annotating them and putting them into evernote?

oh dssk, it's much much simpler than what you do, trust me! :wink:

After you've annotated the screen shot with Skitch, just drag the Skitch window, where it says "Drag Me", onto the Evernote icon in the dock.

Done. Seriously. It's *that* simple.

Ciao, Luca

Luca, what the easiest fastest way of taking screen clippings, annotating them and putting them into evernote?

I know how to make it happen the long way as follows:

1. screen shot into skitch

2. annotate

3.save to web

4.go to web

5. right click on image and save into downloads folder

6.put into evernote

WHOA....its a lot of work. so anyways, how do you guys do it? merk sorry to hijack your thread :)

I don't know what Luca used, but there's Skitch.com (Mac) and Jetscreenshot (Windows.)

BurgersNFries is (always!) right :D as I use Skitch on my Mac.

It's very easy to create screen shots and annotate them, and then with a simple click you upload the image on their server and links to publish it via email or online forums are automagically generated.

Very easy to use, and can't beat the price, as it's a free service!

Ciao, Luca

Since I started the post I think I should "officially" close it by saying that the 2.0.5 update solved the "new pdfs are shown as attachments/icons, regardless of the preference setting to show them inline." Absolutely solved. Thank you, Evernote.

I would like to second the motion of using Preview's nice annotation tools for screenshots. Odds are good that you're going to be viewing the screenshot in Preview anyway-- may as well mark them up there too. I use Preview to do that all the time for little how-tos that I post to my blog (christianboyce.blogspot.com).

• Level 5*

Preview will do it for you (and it's built in to OS X) - Click on the Tools menu and then Annotate and then you will see a bunch of options.

Shift+cmd+3 (or 4) will do the original screenshots for you of course.

Luca,

PS. What program did you use to illustrate that screenshot to me. I am a teacher and I think something like that would be really useful for me.

Wayne

I don't know what Luca used, but there's Skitch.com (Mac) and Jetscreenshot (Windows.) I'm sure there are others but those are the two I'm aware of. I don't use Skitch b/c I'm PC & use Jetscreenshot.

Please explain how I can download the beta you are speaking of. I am not familiar with that process. If I download the beta will the official update also install correctly when it is ready? Thanks for the info.

Wayne

Please advise if there is something I can do

you mean something other than wait for the official 2.0.5 build?

and I have just updated to the officially released 2.0.5 code (build 130391).

Dave and team, you guys rock! 8)

Ciao, Luca

Please advise if there is something I can do

you mean something other than wait for the official 2.0.5 build?

Just tried scanning and dropping PDFs on 2.0.5 Beta 1, and do confirm that everything seems to be working OK now. Thanks Dave!

Ciao, Luca

I am also a Mac user in 2.0.4. I tried restarting Mac. I notice that with my first scan when opening up EN it displayed it as inline. However, when I ran the same page in again now is was as attachment. In my preferences it says it is as "inline" but showing up as attachment. Please advise if there is something I can do

Wayne

+1 on the problem flagged by christianboyce.

I too sometimes get the file icon even though my setting in the preferences is for "inline". And if I close the note and reopen it, the file shows inline without a problem.

This was with 2.04, now I have 2.05 Beta 1 (build 129541) but I have not tested if this has been fixed or not, yet.

Ciao, Luca

• Level 5*

Does sound like one of your machines has it's knickers in a twist.

Have you tried a re-boot? I'm as guilty as any other mac user, in that I very rarely reboot my machine - sometimes the Windows magic of switch it off, switch it on again can fix a multitude of problems.

Otherwise, I know it's a bit of a pain, but an uninstall and then reinstall will probably do the job.

Thanks for that. I should have mentioned that my preferences say "By default, view newly clipped PDFs: Inline." But it doesn't show them inline, not when they are newly clipped. I will try changing to "As Attachments", and quitting, and clipping something (shows as attachment), then changing the preferences back to "Inline", and then quitting, and then opening, and then clipping... nope, the PDF still shows as an attachment for newly clipped PDFs.

Seems as if that particular preference setting is ignored on my machine-- but, it works on another of my machines, so now I'm down to fixing the problem myself! All this time I thought it was an Evernote problem but I just now had the idea of checking it on my other Mac. Both Macs are on 10.6.6, Evernote 2.0.4. Any ideas? Thanks for your suggestion(s).

Archived