(Archived) Syncing in 2.2 pushed me to 3 beta

I am a paying client of EN 2.2. I started using the beta due to the sync problems I was having with 2.2, and especially because I could retrieve ny database from anywhere (I use it for support purposes). however after using V3 for a bit I am now am coming to the conclusion that 2.2 is a better fit for me in terms of features. So now I have two questions:

1) Is syncing in 2.2 ever going to be developed any further to make it more user friendly and less buggy ?

2) Can I pull my V3 notes back into 2.2 ?

3) Is the plug being pulled on 2.2 ?

Thanks

1. We are not planning any updates to Evernote 2.2; all new features and enhancements will be focused on 3.0 and beyond.

2. Evernote 3.0 uses a different database format than 2.2, so notes imported or created in 3.0 cannot be directly exported back to 2.2. But you can run 2.2 and 3.0 side-by-side, so assuming you don’t have a huge number of notes to transfer, you can copy and paste them individually back into 2.2. Alternatively, if you don’t mind merging multiple notes from 3.0 into a single 2.2 note and then sort out the content later, export them from 2.2 in .mht format, open the export file with MS Word, and copy the content into a 2.2 note. This method does not transfer 3.0 tags back to 2.2 categories.

3. We have no plans to pull the plug on Evernote 2.2; it continues to be available and supported.

krlcon: Can you say exactly what your synching problems in 2.2 were? I am interested because I would really hope that Evernote would institute USB synch (2.2-style) for local notebooks eventually in 3.0. What about synchronizing in 2.2 gave you such problems? I'll be the first to admit it was not always a flawless process. Any feedback appreciated.

1. We are not planning any updates to Evernote 2.2; all new features and enhancements will be focused on 3.0 and beyond.

Dnagy,

I respectfully submit that this is the wrong course for Evernote Corp. to pursue. We EN 2.2 users are your proven, enthusiastic supporters and paying customers. EN 3 Beta, as interesting and promising as it is, isn't even close to being a replacement for EN 2.2 yet, let alone an upgrade from EN 2.2. :)

Please don't reward our enthusiasm, loyalty, and support by abandoning us. :shock:

If you abandon your long-term EverNote 2 customers when you go to Evernote 3, potential Evernote 3 customers can be confident that you will again abandon your Evernote 3 customers when you go to Evernote 4, and so on. So why would anyone bother investing their money, time, enthusiasm, loyalty, or support into Evernote 3, given your demonstrated track record of abandoning and alienating your long-time EN 2 customers? :?

I respectfully urge you to rethink and reconsider this decision.

Dear marcclarke,

Not only I agree absolutely with you and fully support your position and request, but would it be possible to make a new thread (in 2.1 but perhaps better in the Beta 3 forum), with the purpose of gathering as much answers as possible from every EN user.

I would suggest the new name of the thread could be your title:

"Please Reconsider Decision to Abandon EverNote 2.2 Updates"

We could all support it.

Best regards

Thomas

(Completely in a different subject, do you happen to know by any chance if there are some good articles wheighting the formal tree (folder) versus the informal Tag tree (freedom of EN)? Theoretically there must be some implications, but I have been unable to find any at the moment). I am feeling there is something to dig there...

I've been quite pleased with Evernote, up until now. I'm glad everything in Evernote 2.2 seems to be working fine for me. The problem now is that I'm clearly left with a dead-end product. I've seen all the posts and the common feeling of disappointment the current Evernote users have expressed with version 3 and the general direction of the company.

What I think is happening is that their move is all about $$... the hell with the users. Evernote3 looks like competition for Google notes. I think they want the product to be bought out by Google. Maybe Evernote wants out of the business? They want to put some cash in their pocket first.

I hate to say it, but it may be time to start looking for alternative products by someone a little more stable. :(

-Steve

First, thanks to Dnagy for penning what I am sure will become, in a small sense, an historic post. This post documents the precise moment that Evernote (note the little "N") Corp officially acknowledged abandonment of its 2.2 users.

This is a turning point.

Next, +1 to what Marc said. A GIANT +1. C'mon, Evernote Corp... What are you thinking?

I will follow this thread with great interest.

Thanks for all the input and feedback - we do in fact value our user base very much. While I did say that we don't plan enhancements to Evernote 2.2 - referring to a particular code base, we have not ruled out bringing some of the more popular features into future versions of Evernote 3. But in order to get Evernote 3 up and running, some 2.2 feature had to be dropped because of various architecture and implementation issues as we moved to incorporate the Web, multiple platforms, synchronization, and other key new features. We are certainly listening to and tracking all your feedback and factoring it into our product plans.

While I did say that we don't plan enhancements to Evernote 2.2 - referring to a particular code base, we have not ruled out bringing some of the more popular features into future versions of Evernote 3.

Emphasis mine.

What I find scary is that EN3 is not an upgrade to EN2, but rather an entirely new product. For example, I upgrade to new versions of Word as they come along. With each upgrade I can continue to work with my accumulated data--documents in this case--more or less as I have in the past.

But it appears that with EN3 I'll have to start over--there seems to be no way to access my accumulated data. I guess I could cut and paste stuff into the new EN3, and I might be willing to spend the days necessary to do that if Evernote eventually implements the features from EN2 that I and others find so valuable, and if I thought I'd never have to do it again.

But surely I will have to do it again. What's happened with EN3 makes it clear that the development team will eventually get excited about making a product that will run on my iPod, GPS, and electric toothbrush. When they do, they'll drop EN3 and put their effort into the completely new and different EN4, and I'll have to start over again.

And I can't keep using EN2, because you know darned well that entropy will set in and eventually EN2 will stop working. Ten years from now, will there be an EN2 clipper for Firefox 11? Will EN2 run under Vienna or whatever the successor to Vista will be called? You know that eventually EN2 will grind to a halt.

So I'm hosed. When I cast my lot with EverNote 3 years ago, I knew there was some risk associated with going with a small, entrepreneurial company that might even go belly up. But it never occurred to me that the company would just abandon the product.

1) Dnagy is a lot more honest than other EN3 contacts we have. That is a good point

2) Elbert is a little afraid of small, entrpreneurial but give a shot once in a while. He is right. I do the same when I see (feel) that the product is worth it. That was the case of EN, and I started with 1.5 then Beta tested 2 and what can I say except WOW!

But up to today, it is true that EN3 may be considered as a completely different system from core up. Only the appearence on screen (on desktop) is similar to the eye. The rest is simply not an upgrade (as with Word, as Elbert mentions).

3) We can still wait for the new beta 3, as they cannot begin to charge (even for space on the web) for a system that is offering so little (in the deep), and is still quite faulty and hard to use on the different platforms. So something has to be done to EN3 yet to be seen. Perhaps not what we are waiting for, but something anyway.

4) EN 2.2 will work on the next generation of Windows, I am sure of that. Vista has been such a flop that the new OS to come will have backward compatibility with XP, that is for sure. Otherwise, people will migrate even quicker to Apple as we can begin to see....(It is amazing to see how Apple is getting each day more "visible" in stores in the world (speaking of Spain, Belgium, France and Chile as I just came back). People are fed up with Microsoft's attitude of ignoring its users.

This means I am not afraid to keep on working with EN 2.2 for some years to come as it fits my needs perfectly for now.

5) There are some products (in the same field we are) that are going to keep on growing with their upgrades, with very good possibilities and a lot of good ideas to be added. And they are in the market for some years now, so I feel they are trusteable (is that word even english?? sorry if it isn't!!!). This is a push up for EN3

6) Even Google notes, with the quite sluggish add-on they have (the Google notes) will continue to develop it. It is only a matter of time we will have the Google notes working on mobile and Iphone, as perhaps even Google docs!! This is a market shake that probably EN3 as-is must anticipate (and try to stay one step in front).

7) I don't feel the capacity of reading written notes or searching text is THAT important, as they are not (and will not be) 100% free of errors. So the tagging (or organizing) is still the best way to ensure that we are not "loosing" some notes, or getting too many answers. If I put images, I tag them or write a line as title to be sure I'll find them. If I scan, I use first my good OCR then keep the corrected data in EN. I do spend some time ensuring my data is "solid" and never rely only on the "technology". (OK, I'm 52 yo, I have my way of doing things, but I never ever lost a thing due to my good old habits that came with the Apple IIe, backup scheme etc,,,,)

So I will wait.... IF EN3 is listening, they will move because they have to. As simple as that. And if EN3 dies, I am sure of EN2 for quite a few years (5?) That is certainly enough to be confident, to see better systems coming up.

Best advice for the moment if you are using 2, work with it on a given project in one database, and jot your less important stuff in another database. So when the time comes for a change, it will be less painful to cut'n copy. (It is not that hard anyway, and remember that you could import all your notes in a new system (lots of them can do it) in .mht format, it will be indexed and searchable, quite helpful while you decide what to keep and what to forget in your new database.

Don't be afraid, you and I won't loose... there is always a way (for us). And we will share our ways to do it, as a community.

EN3 MUST beat the others. (perhaps EN5 will... I am patient and still contributing). And as good ol' Dengberg says: Stick with 2... Both systems can live together with no prob at all!!!

Regards

Tom

Would "support" include a clipper for Firefox 3?

The Firefox clipper for Evernote 2.2 will be updated so that it works with Firefox 3 when FF3 is released.

The Firefox clipper for Evernote 3 will be updated as part of the next EN3 Win32 desktop client update.

It's generally time-consuming to try to keep up with every browser beta and pre-release, so we've been waiting for FF3 to be released before sinking the time into supporting it.

Will Mail Auto-Import be fixed in 2.2?

(This question belongs on the 2.2 board, but ...)

I'm not sure what you mean by "fixed". If you're referring to this thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5361), that seems to be a request to add a feature which wasn't previously present: import from POP3 running on a nonstandard POP3 port.

Like dnagy said, we don't plan to release 2.2.2 or 2.3. We intend to keep improving 3.0, and believe it will meet your needs (eventually).

I'm not sure what you mean by "fixed". If you're referring to this thread (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5361), that seems to be a request to add a feature which wasn't previously present: import from POP3 running on a nonstandard POP3 port.

Like DaveN said, we don't plan to release 2.2.2 or 2.3. We intend to keep improving 3.0, and believe it will meet your needs (eventually).

Thanks for the reply... I've moved the email account I want to use with EverNote 2.2.1 to a POP3 provider running standard ports and it still does not auto-import email from that account.

It would be most useful to me if this worked!

Archived