(Archived) Search for whole word only / prefix

klas

Idea

Am I right that searching in Evernote should return results *starting* with the search string, ie searching for

fra

should return notes containing framework, fraternity etc, but not notes containing infrared, wolfram etc...

For me the prefix search doesn't seem to work,

ie when I search for intitle:CEO

the results returned contains protector, victory etc.

I use Mac Version 2.0.4 (127827)

Would be great if the prefix search would work, or even better, an option to search for whole word only (such as intitle:"CEO")

Cheers,

Klas

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
Am I right that searching in Evernote should return results *starting* with the search string, ie searching for

fra

should return notes containing framework, fraternity etc, but not notes containing infrared, wolfram etc...

This is correct;

That sounds like a bug in the Mac client.

However, it's also important to understand that intitle: search is not the same as normal search. For example, intitle: search in the Windows client matches whole words; i.e. a search using 'intitle:his' would match 'his' explicitly, but not 'history'. You can add wildcards, however: 'intitle:his*' would match both 'his' and 'history'.

You can add wildcards, however: 'intitle:his*' would match both 'his' and 'history'.

This is correct - but it's important to note that wildcard characters can only appear at the end of a literal search term. For instance, jefito's example is a valid search:

intitle:his*

But, this one won't produce the expected results:

intitle:hi*tory

Nor will this:

intitle:*istory

From section C.1.2 of the Evernote Search Grammar specification:

A wildcard is only permitted at the end of the term, not at the beginning or middle for scalability reasons on the service.

Just wanted to make that little detail plain for anybody who ends up here in the future :)

Cheers!

• Level 5*

Thanks, Brett. I was going to mention the bit about wildcard formation here, since my testing turned up some crazy results when I had more than one '*', or had put text after the '*', but I thought it might cloud the issue here, and hadn't gotten around to posting it as a separate issue. But clarifications are always welcome.

That sounds like a bug in the Mac client.

However, it's also important to understand that intitle: search is not the same as normal search. For example, intitle: search in the Windows client matches whole words; i.e. a search using 'intitle:his' would match 'his' explicitly, but not 'history'. You can add wildcards, however: 'intitle:his*' would match both 'his' and 'history'.

Archived