(Archived) Post your #1 Feature Request Here!!!

gonsalvr

I'll get this thread started:

My Number #1 Feature request would be a Spell Check toggle button on the toolbar... right next to the usage button. Those red squiggly spell check lines drive me crazy. Sometimes I want them, other times - If I have bits of programing code in my note eg:

Select Case variableXYX

Case 5

Do Something

End Case

.... then I don't need to see them. :D

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Agree with the Spell check. I don't like the red squiggly lines either, so I have turned off the spell check by default now.

My request would be Tabbed browsing in Evernote to let you open notes in separate tabs, so one can jump between them quickly and easily.

I'm a OneNote user switching my life over to Evernote. The single biggest thing I would want would be more levels.

OneNote has Notebooks->Sections->Pages->Subpages

This keeps my top level very clean and organized.

If going downward would be difficult for back compatibility, possibly Evernote could go upward with Shelves for Notebooks and possibly Bookcases with multiple Shelves.

An example of how I used this in OneNote was for my metalworking hobby.

Notebook = Hobbies

Section = Metalworking

Page = Milling

Subpage = End mills

I have about 5 top level notebooks for all my personal and work stuff.

The single biggest thing I would want would be more levels.

Stacks (one level deep) are as good as you're going to get for a very long time, as far as notebooks go. You can organize using tags & nested tags. This has been discussed at great length, already, on the board. Anyone wanting to use Evernote is simply going to have to come to terms with using tags for organizing, rather than sub notebooks.

• Level 5*
If going downward would be difficult for back compatibility, possibly Evernote could go upward with Shelves for Notebooks and possibly Bookcases with multiple Shelves.

And maybe Rooms for Bookcases, and Libraries for Rooms, and Cities for Libraries... and Universes for Galaxies...

Nah. What BurgersNFries said. In Evernote, Tags are the way and the light...

~Jeff

when emailing notes, send through outlook instead of evernote like we used to do in 2.0. I really have disliked having to type in contacts names, especially when sending a note to a list of people. maybe even having a preference that would let us choose between sending through evernote or another email client.

when emailing notes, send through outlook instead of evernote like we used to do in 2.0. I really have disliked having to type in contacts names, especially when sending a note to a list of people. maybe even having a preference that would let us choose between sending through evernote or another email client.

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=18977&p=94091&hilit=outlook+email#p93876

Anyone wanting to use Evernote is simply going to have to come to terms with using tags for organizing, rather than sub notebooks.

And if tags were *actually* hierarchical, rather than just appearing to be that way, that would be a good solution.

But they're not.

• Level 5*
Anyone wanting to use Evernote is simply going to have to come to terms with using tags for organizing, rather than sub notebooks.

And if tags were *actually* hierarchical, rather than just appearing to be that way, that would be a good solution.

But they're not.

There's no intrinsic need for them to be (see the plentiful discussion else-forum on the topic). In point of fact, they are very useful to many people as they are today. I do believe though that Evernote could implement some functionality that would make them more useful to people who want hierarchical tags (also discussed elsewhere).

~Jeff

But they're not.

It's still a good solution. It may take some other clicks if you have deeply nested tags & it's important to you to have the parent tags applied, too. Personally, I don't like the parent tag auto selected upon child tag selection.

With Ver. 4.x, Evernote and I are in a good place right now. But bringing back autotagging would be nice. Please also bring back note counts for saved searches, particularly for the purpose of spotting tagless notes. At one time or another, EN had every feature I could possibly want. What keeps me awake nights is when EN announces a major upgrade, and I start worrying that my most cherished features will be dropped.

I would love if you could drag notes into notes.

For example I have an expense notebook. So let’s say I order a new pair of shoes and I add the receipt to Evernote (1) (generally through a web clip). Then the company I ordered from sends me a tracking number. I then add that to Evernote (2) (generally by email forwarding). And then let’s say I don’t like the shoes and I return them, so the company sends me a return label, which I PDF and add to Evernote (3). Then said company issues me a credit which I email off to my Evernote account (4). AWESOME – I love Evernote because I have this continuous record of the transaction.

Now that the transaction is all done, I have 4 notes pertaining to this same shoe purchase. It would be the best thing in the world if I could just drag the three notes into the first note almost like closing a trouble ticket. This way when I do a search all the info is in that one note. Right now there is a lot of cleanup and deleting notes – time consuming. I buy a lot of stuff online :)!

Thanks!!

For example I have an expense notebook. So let’s say I order a new pair of shoes and I add the receipt to Evernote (1) (generally through a web clip). Then the company I ordered from sends me a tracking number. I then add that to Evernote (2) (generally by email forwarding). And then let’s say I don’t like the shoes and I return them, so the company sends me a return label, which I PDF and add to Evernote (3). Then said company issues me a credit which I email off to my Evernote account (4). AWESOME – I love Evernote because I have this continuous record of the transaction.

Now that the transaction is all done, I have 4 notes pertaining to this same shoe purchase. It would be the best thing in the world if I could just drag the three notes into the first note almost like closing a trouble ticket. This way when I do a search all the info is in that one note. Right now there is a lot of cleanup and deleting notes – time consuming. I buy a lot of stuff online :)!

Thanks!!

Would merging the notes together do what you need?

I have two #1 feature requests (sorry, I can't decide which one would make me happiest).

One is to enable hyperlinking to any file on my hard drive within the Ctrl-K command. Say that I don't want to bring in a searchable PDF into EN, but just remember that I have it on my HD.

Say the path to the file is

F:\@ProjKV\GARDENING\A-Herbs\DeBaggio's Herb Farm Growing Herbs FAQ.pdf

I'd like to be able to paste that path into a note, press Ctrl-K, and a) have that path be transformed into file:// or whatever code EN would adopt as a hyperlink, and B) have the capability to give a title to that hyperlink (similarly to what EN automatically does now when I drag a URL to a note: there's a title with a URL embedded).

And (oops, this is request 1.5) I'd like to be able to hover my mouse over a hyperlink and see where it will take me without having to right click it or press Ctrl-Shift-K.

Second request is to find a way to bring in HTML pages and have them automatically become notes. That would enable me to easily transfer my Infoselect database into EN without the rigmarole of installing EN 3.1 in a different computer.

Thanks for asking.

lena

Now that the transaction is all done, I have 4 notes pertaining to this same shoe purchase. It would be the best thing in the world if I could just drag the three notes into the first note almost like closing a trouble ticket. This way when I do a search all the info is in that one note. Right now there is a lot of cleanup and deleting notes – time consuming. I buy a lot of stuff online B)!

Thanks!!

Would merging the notes together do what you need?

Yes - i think so. I didn't know you could do that > I just looked - SOOO COOL.

Now if you could just drag and drop a note onto another note and they would automatically merge that would be awesome. Thanks for the heads up!!

I have two #1 feature requests (sorry, I can't decide which one would make me happiest).

One is to enable hyperlinking to any file on my hard drive within the Ctrl-K command.

-----------

lena

Lena,

I think that I can answer your request #1.

I decided to post it in a new thread so other interested readers will be able to see it too.

Please look here: http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22519

Good luck, helix

I'd like to see stacked notes. It's a cool feature for the notebooks, but would be really cool if it could be done for notes. I'm coming over from OneNote and that would really help to ease the pain.

We do have something of this type. Try to select several notes in the notes title list by control+left-click (If you do not see the list press F11).Then press control+enter. You are getting nicely cascaded stacked notes! :D

Is that what you are looking for?

helix

I would love to sleep at night knowing that if Evernote suddenly goes belly up and doesn't work on Windows 2020, I could have exported the notes to HTML .. with titles, dates, tags and other meta data.

Just today again wanted to send a "booklet" of notes to a family member. Export to HTML ... then realized; it's nothing. I would have to start putting titles + meta data in the note itself.

I would love to sleep at night knowing that if Evernote suddenly goes belly up and doesn't work on Windows 2020, I could have exported the notes to HTML .. with titles, dates, tags and other meta data.

As much as we hate to contemplate the belly up scenario, I second this request based on 25 years of personal computer experience. Actually, one of the main reasons I'm abandoning InfoSelect after 20 years is that the newest version does NOT export to HTML as neatly as the last version I purchased in 2007.

The fact that the user base of Evernote is large enough to motivate Microsoft to allow easy EN import into OneNote is what keeps me here, despite EN's limited HTML export capability.

But hey, based on the creativity and responsiveness of the developers here (very new to me, and delightful!), it may be more likely that they OneNote folks will be migrating their data into EN when OneNote doesn't work with Linux 2020! :D

Lena

I'd like to see stacked notes. It's a cool feature for the notebooks, but would be really cool if it could be done for notes. I'm coming over from OneNote and that would really help to ease the pain.

We do have something of this type. Try to select several notes in the notes title list by control+left-click (If you do not see the list press F11).Then press control+enter. You are getting nicely cascaded stacked notes! :lol:

Is that what you are looking for?

helix

Ahhh ... not quite. You know how when you stack notebooks you can 'collapse' the stack? I'd love to be able to stack notes and expand or collapse the stack as needed. Does that explain it better?

• Level 5

#1 Feature Request?

• the long promised "Due Date" column

Or as a fall-back position, an Evernote search option to find all checkbox unfinished to-do items for today (the entire day, the full 24 hours, midnight to midnight). If it is lunch-time, I want to be able to search for unfinished to-do items that are scheduled for later in the day.

I can do it now, but the current Evernote search grammar will pull in everything including meetings, appointments and trips in the future months and years.

The real solution is to move forward with the Due Date Evernote proposal.

I have a few;

Insert date/time action

Ability to re-size inserted/clipped pictures. Actually it would be nice to be able to crop them too.

Ability to paste copied text without the formatting (text only) or with minimal formatting (bold, font size etc)

I knew there were a few more;

- Allow a search just within the title field of the notes rather than across all text

- Allow use of the default user dictionary on my PC rather than maintaining a seperate one for Evernote

- Is there a way to create 2 (or more) columns of text other than introducing a table? I used to like the ability within OneNote to enter text on both sides of the page to avoid scolling up and down all the time

- The scroll button on my Thinkpad doesn't work within Evernote. The scroll wheel on my mouse does but not the scroll button built into the Thinkpad. It seems to work with every other app so I'm assuming that's an integration issue with Evernote.

• Level 5*
- Allow a search just within the title field of the notes rather than across all text

"intitle:text" is supported in the search grammar. I think that it's a whole word search, though, not a prefix search as the normal search it (not sure why that would be).

~Jeff

• Level 5*
Ability to paste copied text without the formatting (text only) or with minimal formatting (bold, font size etc)

On the Windows client, use Edit / Paste as Text; keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + V

~Jeff

I'd love a citation mechanism. I'm using evernote to write my thesis and it's a total pain having to do the citation manually or use a separate citation software, screen print the citation, crop it down to a manageable size and then paste it into evernote as an image, which is what I'm doing now. Seriously, that little change would make evernote PERFECT!!! :lol:

OK, I'll try another one, still working on my migration from OneNote.

When I copy a piece of a webpage, I would like a flag under Options or Clipping Preferences to copy the URL with it.

I find that I am often grabbing a paragraph from a page, then going back and grabbing the address.

Not sure if this is a feature request or request for less angst causing bugs:

1. When creating a new note (via ctrl+n), have the curser start in the title box, not the note box.

2. when using a custom search that includes "-tag:*".... let me tag the note several times before clearing out of this search. don't make searches (or let us toggle) real time... so I can apply tags and still have the note in the search.

• Level 5*
1. When creating a new note (via ctrl+n), have the curser start in the title box, not the note box.

I think that that is a 50/50 proposition: half the people want the cursor to go into the title bar, half the people want it to go into the note text control (and another half probably wants it to go into the tag control). F2 will put the cursor into the title control.

~Jeff

But they're not.

It's still a good solution. It may take some other clicks if you have deeply nested tags & it's important to you to have the parent tags applied, too. Personally, I don't like the parent tag auto selected upon child tag selection.

It's not a good solution if you need the same tag name for different hierarchies.

I love Evernote, and I know we're going over already discussed ground, but not being able to use "Housing-Richmond" and also "Sport-AFL-Richmond" (because "that tag is already in use") is very annoying.

Pardon me for changing the title to top 3

My #1

• the long promised "Due Date" column

My #2

Password protect mobile (android in my case) application as well as the desktop application. I wouldn't think this would be that difficult.

My #3

i hope I don't get scolded for being greedy.. but i have a second #1 request :)

more to do with outlook. I'd like to be able to archive my email into Evernote. I like the auto archive of Outlook because it keeps my active Exchange account from being super bloated. however when I archive, those emails are now only located on the machine that they were archived on. I'd love to be able have evernote to automatically archive my emails into Evernote. Then I can keep my Exchange from being bloated and have access to those old emails on all machines. and to add to that, it would be able to choose which notebooks each folder got archived to. Just like now you can choose individual archive options for each folder in outlook. It would be nice to tell evernote to archive all emails from my "ABC" folder into my "ABC" notebook with tag 'email' and all from my "LMNOP" folder to my "LMNOP" notebook with tag 'email'.

the more i type this out, the more excited I get if this could become a reality.

thanks.

• Level 5*

The "easiest" way for EN to provide the archived email feature, if I understand you correctly, would be to autoarchive into a pst file in x directory. You would then set up an autoimport feature from within EN that would extract email from that x\pst (and delete the original message)? The only way around this at the moment is to manually save individual messages to EN and then delete the original? Can't imagine Microsoft changing the autoarchive feature to allow the use of a third-party file system like EN, can you? Unless all of the Outlook users in the world campaigned for the feature - then maybe by 2020 we might have a chance of success?

You would then set up an autoimport feature from within EN that would extract email from that x\pst (and delete the original message)?

can Evernote currently import from a .pst file? If so that would be a great workaround.

I figured if Evernote can provide an add-in like they currently have, maybe they can add to it for it to provide a like feature. i understand that it wouldn't be in the physical Archive options menu.

For now I've been going back to add older emails to evernote, but i have several years of emails (and yes I actually do reference them quite frequently) that it would take forever to go through and individually clip.

Thanks!!

Cloning - according to style / tagging / location? / or other attributes. Good idea

Again, the old Evernote had templates - note templates. We seemed to have lost that forever, too. Unless, you manually perform it yourself? Hrmmm Maybe someone wants to Open Source it, to the Evernote community?

My number one request - an old one.

Give me a linking to note URL - damn it! Is it really that hard? or is Evernote holding out - on us?

Dave, I would even be willing for it - to only work on a matching (from created) platform. So, it would work fine on all three of my Windows - clients, but not the mobile phone. = That would be half a solution, better than nothing, been waiting three years for this, now.

Rob

PS. As long as aliens don't force a new Internet Appliance on us??? We should be fine, for any "never thought of" new Clients being necessary to support. Excluding the "Great Gazoo" of course. His PDA from Zetox probably has a Windows 7 Emulator, in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gazoo

Pictures of Great Gazoo http://www.google.com/images?hl=&q=picture+of+great+gazoo&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS275US275&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=S4tYTZ3HCsP58Ab3rPXhBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA&biw=1058&bih=814 * Alan Cummings acting as him, in Viva Rock Vegas - so wrong, but funny. I love Alan. GoldenEye, and he is Scottish - what's not to love about that!

Are there really lust murderers? The beautiful Famke Jenssen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lust_murder

• Level 5*

Have you tried "Merge Notes"? Select the notes you want to merge, right click (sorry, I only know the Windows platform!), and select Merge Notes. I know there were some problems with this in earlier versions, but I think they have been sorted for a while now.

By far the feature I'm anxiously awaiting is the ability of EN4 to let me drag and drop doc and pdf files from it onto the desktop. This ability is found in EN 3.1 (which I'm still using until this feature is installed). I have installed each successive upgrade to EN4 successfully, but none of them address this issue. I know from past messages that this feature is needed by many others. I hope it'll be implemented soon.

I would like each note to have an optional column on the right that you can see all the attachments - with filenames. Right now they all get mixed into the note - some of which are PDFs where the filename cannot be seen. There are many times where I have lots of files that really need to be in a certain order. A right column with all the attachments would be nice - maybe allow the user to sort the attachments up and down.

Three Requests would make me a happy camper...

- Keyboard Shortcut to increase / decrease font size

- ability to add a couple of fav colors to the toolbar. Having to click a dropdown every time to pick either RED, BLUE or PURPLE gets old.

- I too am worried about going "all in" with Evernote. Exporting to a standard format would me feel a little better.

• Level 5*
- I too am worried about going "all in" with Evernote. Exporting to a standard format would me feel a little better.

You can export to HTML, which is a standard format, and will preserve your content.

~Jeff

• Level 5

Above all:

.pdf search for WIndows !!

This is a feature I miss every single day. Very cumbersome and sometimes close to impossible to search a .pdf document and not being able to find something inside !!!

Can you push this up your priority list ??

Wern

re-implementation of desktop search (GDS used to be supported, now Windows search should be sufficient on Windows systems). If you store in the file system and EN it would be a major improvement to only have to search once for documents.

Was a feature before 3.X, and for me one of the major reasons to use EN.

EvB.

I would like the ability of creating a notebook locally outside of the main installation directory of Evernote, for example, create a local notebook on a flash drive. Right now we can export a notebook, but that requires opening it up each single time. Local folders are stored deep in the C drive and there's no quick way to pull them out and take them with you.

1) Possibility to ADD SPACE in ink notes. VEEEERY important for people who need to write/draw stuff between lines!

2) More/better hyperlink options. Instead of lots of different notes, I prefer to write long notes. This could be implemented by a TABLE OF CONTENTS, similar to a book's TOC, but of course with good hyperlinking support (similar to PDFs)

3) When you zoom out on a long note with many pages, you should get an overview of all the pages, from which you can easily navigate to any page.

BTW I just watched some demo videos of the HTC Flyer with some version of Evernote (?). AWESOME!!! B) I'm a bit skeptical of the palm rejection system... maybe that's why the tablet is so small?

Sort priority by individual notebook.

Most of my notebooks are sorted by "Updated", but a couple I need in "Title" (as the title starts with a fixed date that I need to sort on, to see when things expire), so this would be brilliant.

Since you can already sort by various fields, including title, and EN does it pretty quickly, I doubt any settings per notebook will be added.

for jbenson2 - re due date feature request

Here's my workaround...

Deliverables tagged with "BF" (bring forward).

Firstline/title of "deliverables" notes always commences [checkbox BF_yymmdd] followed by mnemonic/titular text as useful.

Save a search "TICKLER" or something, specs: [todo]

(The underscore is uniquely EN-searchable and eliminates false finds for "obfuscate" for example).

Clic on the search + clic to sort by title = chronological date-due list free of distractions (I save another search specifying "done" items as well via todo:true).

/Schooner

Sort priority by individual notebook.

Most of my notebooks are sorted by "Updated", but a couple I need in "Title" (as the title starts with a fixed date that I need to sort on, to see when things expire), so this would be brilliant.

Since you can already sort by various fields, including title, and EN does it pretty quickly, I doubt any settings per notebook will be added.

Well, excuse me for putting a request into the thread. I obviously know you can do that, as I said I already did it, it would simply be quicker and easier if the above was implemented. Given that Evernote makes my life both easier and quicker, it's not unreasonable to request that it moves that along even further.

+1 for autocomplete based on the Outlook address book (or, as a far-less-useful but still-far-better-than-now solution, remembering addresses already used). I'm finding myself emailing notes (and their attachments) more and more often, and having to look up the email address in Outlook and then cut-and-paste it across is incredibly inefficient, sadly.

Well, excuse me for putting a request into the thread. I obviously know you can do that, as I said I already did it, it would simply be quicker and easier if the above was implemented. Given that Evernote makes my life both easier and quicker, it's not unreasonable to request that it moves that along even further.

I simply replied with a reasonable answer. I was not rude or unkind. No need for you to give attitude.

I simply replied with a reasonable answer. I was not rude or unkind. No need for you to give attitude.

Fair enough, I had just assumed that in a request thread, the poster could decide what requests to make, based on the way they used the software.

Just today again wanted to send a "booklet" of notes to a family member. Export to HTML ... then realized; it's nothing. I would have to start putting titles + meta data in the note itself.

I wholeheartedly agree that the HTML export as it currently exists is not adequate for an outside observer to be able to piece together what the notes are for, when they were created, etc. The addition of titles, dates, tags and other meta data in the HTML export is a must.

Thanks developers for looking into this!

You can export to HTML, which is a standard format, and will preserve your content.

~Jeff

But HTML export doesn't include title, date, tags, etc for each note... If it did, that would really rock :D Any ideas for workarounds or insider information as to if this feature is planned to be added?

My most wanted feature:

Make the already implemented text-encryption really secure with AES128 instead of the currently used 64bit RC2.

Currently I have to add encrypted attachments to store sensitive information in EN. The big handicap of this workaround: This attachments can't be read on all platforms.

Thanks

Marcel.

I'll flog the dead horse.

As a Uni student, I have a lot of subjects and each have a Lecture, Lab and Tutorial.

I have used MANY note-taking software, some Windows some Linux (Basket notes being my favorite) and I have to say sub-books work VERY well and help organisation immensely.

It is very unintuitive to have one level of tags, just 'linked' together.

For example I have four 'lecture 4's. And it is just pathetically trying to get around the problem if I tag them by Subject1.Lecture4.Notes4 when if you at least make tags with minor hierarchy and inheritance it works easily.

Ie

Subject 1 --Lecture 1

-- Lecture 2

Subject 30 -- Lecture 2

-- Lecture 3

Regardless of whether dev's think it is 'needed', most people who use note taking software extensively and require more organisation, this is essential.

Yawning it and ignoring it won't make it go away.

It's very clear sub notebooks will not be coming to EN in the near or not so near future, if ever. So if you're going to use EN, you'd be doing yourself a favor by coming to terms with using tags. They really do replicate sub notebooks but you do have to do a bit of thinking outside the box. This has already been discussed at great length on the board. Hence the yawn. Nothing new to see here.

• Level 5*
I'll flog the dead horse.

Flog away -- it's mainly your energy that's being wasted, and the horse is still dead. All of these arguments have been presented here before; the Evernote folks have decided to use a different system than the one that you want. I doubt that it's going to change any time soon, so if you want to keep using Evernote, you'll have to figure out how to work with tags.

]For example I have four 'lecture 4's. And it is just pathetically trying to get around the problem if I tag them by Subject1.Lecture4.Notes4 when if you at least make tags with minor hierarchy and inheritance it works easily.

Some people want to express full hierarchy with single tags, but you don't need to do that; in fact,in my opinion, that's almost antithetical to how I believe tags should be used. Fortunately, tags are flexible enough to accommodate that usage if you really want to do it.

So you have 4 Lecture 4s. So make a tag called 'Lecture4' and apply it 4 times as appropriate, and make tags for all your other lecture numbers (me, I'd just be using 'Lecture 4' as the not title, but that's my system). And make tags for your subjects: 'Subject1', 'Subject2' etc, and apply them as appropriate. And if you think you need to have separate notes for individual lectures, make some more tags ('Notes1', 'Notes2', etc.) and apply as appropriate. Now you have sets of tags that can be used to find subsets of notes across your world of subjects, lectures and lecture notes, for now and the future

Regardless of whether dev's think it is 'needed', most people who use note taking software extensively and require more organisation, this is essential.

Regardless of your claiming to speak for most people, it ain't necessarily so that hierarchical note organization is essential -- tags work too. But then again, some people like lima beans, and some don't. If Evernote truly doesn't suit your needs, then you'd probably be better off with some other system.

I am new to Evernote.

I know the 1GB per month is a lot for normal use but I have notes and information I want to upload that I have collected for 20 years. I have a lot of Infoselect data that exceeds 1GB just to start. I have OneNote collection going back to the original beta. I still think I would use onenote but only for very structured and occational use. I don't want to look in 3 locations or more to find my information and I want it all online and available wherever I am. 1GB a month won't acheive this for me for a couple of years and now with an android phone it is likely I will be using a lot more with the app to upload photos and more.

I would like to suggest that either a plan with higher upload at additional price or ability to purchase an initial bulk amount of data like 10GB so people can migrate existing information from before Evernote allowing full migration.

I have dropbox but I don't think it allows me to have my evernote info searchable everywhere or able to share with others easily.

Evernote is like Infoselect V1.0 but then it got out of control and became too complicated.

There are many features missing from Evernote but I think I can live with it just because if everyones wish list was granted we would have a bloated application.

The extra upload would bring Evernote instant money and they could purchase more server processing and space and not affect evernote use in the slightest unless it slows Evernote down. Is that an issue?

Thanks

Well, if I where to change a few things to evernote, it would be :

- Linux client

- More possibility to edit text note. Having the possibility to create drawings and such.

- ink note for mobile version IMHO. We have a tactile screen, let's use it :)

I've just started using Evernote (in windows 7) and I'm quite satisfied.

The only thing that annoys me is the absence of a greek spelling dictionary:

so, please add one (or, at least make Evernote to be able to use existing third-party ones like these )

And, update the 'evernote web clipper' firefox addon for firefox 4.

Hi everyone,

my #1 features go here:

- better tags funcionality - this means:

- show tags per notebook (or another solution) to keep the overview of the tag system and have a fast access to tags

- 'real' parents (just an idea) - when clicking on the parent the children notes are shown as well

- own search field for tags - to assures fast access to tags as well and the main search function can't search for words in a tag when they are not at the beginning

- when using "show only allocated tags" (or whatever it is called in the english version): usable ability to get back to the whole tag list without scolling up and down all the time

- in general a better use of the left frame/band should be implemented

And if tag system can't be improved it may be very useful to have any other organizing system.

And links to notes in the EN-database would be nice.

Greetings

dongo

Above all:

This is a feature I miss every single day. Very cumbersome and sometimes close to impossible to search a .pdf document and not being able to find something inside !!!

Wern

Perhaps I'm not properly understanding your request, but I am able to enter text in the EN Search block and it finds Notes with PDF files that contain that text. EN does not highlight the text in the PDF. Once I have found the Note PDF, then I open the PDF and use Acrobat to search for the text in the PDF.

Will this work for you?

• Level 5*
Print option when right-clicking a note...

This already appears on the right-click menu when clicking on a note in one of the note list views.

I've read through this thread and seen some suggestions discussed that I think are great, including

- Better HTML export'

- Stacked notes

- Google Search to work with evernote. It was pointed out that it works in chrome - how about FF?

And I'd like to add a few more...

- Move forward and back through notes, like web pages in my browser. To be useful, EN would need to remember where I was in each note.

- Keep improving conversion of Outlook notes. I suggest EN to people who are leaving Outlook for Google Apps, but they need a solution for Outlook Notes. Last time I suggested this the EN import failed on some of the notes (Outlook 2003).

- Encrypted notes - the password never leaves the client. This is how I assumed it worked until I read otherwise.

- Headings, like the 'heading 1', 'heading 2', etc. styles in Word.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Above all:

Wern

Perhaps I'm not properly understanding your request, but I am able to enter text in the EN Search block and it finds Notes with PDF files that contain that text. EN does not highlight the text in the PDF. Once I have found the Note PDF, then I open the PDF and use Acrobat to search for the text in the PDF.

Will this work for you?

Ich would like to request the same feature as JMUnderwood11. The highlighting of search results inside PDF documents under Windows.

I am studining at the Fachhochschule NW, a school for applied science in Switzerland.

The reason for this request is that I have a large variety of multipage PDF documents (~200 per semester) and opening PDF documents to find the word you're looking for each time it is mentioned inside a document is a very frustrating.

Inserting the documents as images isn't possible because of following reasons:

• I have to make comments inside the document

• I should be able to extract text from a document

• I should be able to send these documents with comments to somebody else

To find something quickly inside evernote is vital to me because the professor won't stop because I want to look up a term I made notes about.

I would be very grateful if you could implement this feature in the Windows client as it is currently under Mac.

Kind Regards

Andreas Eberli

• Level 5

Yes, we NEED Windows pdf-search DESPARATELY.

This is the biggest missing feature on EN.

Any comments from the developers, when it will be implemented? I know, you are working on it, but will it take forever??

Thanks.

I would like more of an emphasis on security. It's great that people can put all their recipes into Evernote, but a lot of people seem to be using it to store passwords and other sensitive information. It's great for organizing all the account numbers and passwords you have in your life.

They are:

1. Ability to immediately preview a pdf when selecting it in your Android and Web versions (as opposed to selecting a note, then clicking on the attachment name, and waiting for Acrobat to load. It's a multi-step process that it a real pain, especially if you have a slow connection.

2. Ability to zoom thumbnails in mixed view on the windows version just like you can with the thumbnail view. It would be nice to see a larger thumbnail with all the tags and info listed at the right of it.

Maybe I'm unduly paranoid, but I don't store any passwords for mission-critical sites on any computer, period. I do store hints, but these are very cryptic and probably would not even be recognized by most people as anything significant. And for some I have them written down on hard-copy and away from my computer. If' I'm stupid enough to forget, the penalty is I have to get up and go find it. :)

Please bring back Saved Search count. If it's a performance issue then make it an option that can be turned on or off. The basic code already exists since it was a feature you took out in 3.5 - add it to the options menu and let people know it can effect performance.

Thanks

Main feature requests:

1. Improved outlining so that you actually have serviceable outline functionality within a note, as Onenote has.

2. Improved table formatting.

3. Option to restrict displayed tags to the current notebook. The current "Hide unassigned tags" looks good until you click on a tag, and then all the other tags disappear (when there is only one tag per note). I know there's a rational for this behavior, that only tags for listed notes are shown, but it's not what you normally want when you click on a tag.

Apologies in advance for any duplication, but I just saw that I'd started another thread titled "2 Feature Requests" and I'd missed this one.

Here are the 2 features in summary:

1. Uniform treatment of PDFs between Mac and Windows versions of EN, with all three options available on right-click: opened in-line, closed booklet, or attachment.

2. Ability to drag notes up and down in the list and have EN remember the order under a heading of "Freeform" or similar. Sequential ordering would be good, obviously - i.e. sort by date, and THEN drag notes where they are wanted as a "sub-sort". The ability to fix certain notes as a GROUP perhaps would be good too: if notes associated with a particular project are dragged into a specific order then "glued" as a GROUP, so that subsequent sorts by date or title do NOT break this group.

More details here:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=24179

Also cross-posted to the Mac version groups, here:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24178

Apologies for all the cross-posting, but these features would apply to both the Windows and the Mac versions.

Archived