(Archived) Post your #1 Feature Request Here!!!

gonsalvr

• Level 5*

That's easy for me: I just became a Pro-User today and learned there is no way for me to import the 4 years worth of notes I've got stored in Notespark. My request is for a .csv note importer. I can't believe this doesn't already exist.

Please please please, I really want to use this service but I can't leave 4 years worth of work notes behind...

thanks,

- r

this is a notespark problem, in my opinion. they have a very user-unfriendly way to export your notes, and that is one reason why i do not use the service. i don't plan to leave evernote anytime soon, but i am using it because i can easily migrate to another platform if necessary.

my recommendation would be to find a way to export your notes from notespark. heather has already offered to help you out in the thread you started about this :)

http://discussion.evernote.com/user/48156-heather/

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5*

Just started a topic on this yesterday, but anyway: multiple notebooks search

sounds like a good idea to me. the more search options, the better!

obviously, a workaround for the current situation would be tags (i much prefer these over notebooks), but you already know that :)

Yes, I saw Heather's response. While I appreciate her response, I had already contacted customer support before I posted here. I was told by the customer support person it is not possible to do it, and that I should just import my notes as a .pdf. Importing four years worth of notes as a .pdf is not a viable option for me. Basically useless. That is why I posted here, in the hopes that someone has a way to do this.

That's easy for me: I just became a Pro-User today and learned there is no way for me to import the 4 years worth of notes I've got stored in Notespark. My request is for a .csv note importer. I can't believe this doesn't already exist.

Please please please, I really want to use this service but I can't leave 4 years worth of work notes behind...

thanks,

- r

this is a notespark problem, in my opinion. they have a very user-unfriendly way to export your notes, and that is one reason why i do not use the service. i don't plan to leave evernote anytime soon, but i am using it because i can easily migrate to another platform if necessary.

my recommendation would be to find a way to export your notes from notespark. heather has already offered to help you out in the thread you started about this :)

http://discussion.ev.../48156-heather/

• Level 5*

i would still recommend contacting heather. she is at evernote and might be able to provide you support your representative couldn't. i think the solution here is to find a way to get your notes over rather than have evernote install a feature just for notespark, because notespark isn't providing basic support for customers (really, text and html is pretty standard nowadays, right?).

anyhow, i wish you luck. the pdf suggestion is a poor solution, in my opinion.

I am so ready to leave OneNote and move entirely to EN - however, i need integration between EN and outlook tasks - something like the functionality that exists in OneNote.

In OneNote, you can create a new task, it automatically adds it to Outlook, and then remain synchronized - i can use any of the date functions for a task. ie: Today, tomorrow, this week, next week, custom or no date. This feature would be a game changer in pulling people our of OneNote.

• Level 5*

I am so ready to leave OneNote and move entirely to EN - however, i need integration between EN and outlook tasks - something like the functionality that exists in OneNote.

In OneNote, you can create a new task, it automatically adds it to Outlook, and then remain synchronized - i can use any of the date functions for a task. ie: Today, tomorrow, this week, next week, custom or no date. This feature would be a game changer in pulling people our of OneNote.

unlikely to happen. that kind of deep integration is a hallmark of microsoft and its office suite. if evernote created a calendar app, and maybe an email one, this might work, but i wouldn't hold my breath for that kind of massive development.

I would like to second WebEngineer's request for table formatting/editing. I can understand how calculations would be outside the mission of EN, however.

And if someone could point me to a good tutorial on how to use tags for organization, I would appreciate it. I have used nested folders for so long that I can't seem to grasp how tags could replace them.

Thanks in advance! I love EN and consider myself an evangelist. Now if I could just convince my company that EN is secure enough to use for business information!

• Level 5*

I would like to second WebEngineer's request for table formatting/editing. I can understand how calculations would be outside the mission of EN, however.

And if someone could point me to a good tutorial on how to use tags for organization, I would appreciate it. I have used nested folders for so long that I can't seem to grasp how tags could replace them.

Thanks in advance! I love EN and consider myself an evangelist. Now if I could just convince my company that EN is secure enough to use for business information!

hi!

1. This is a great explanation of how to use tags instead of notebooks http://www.attorneymarketing.com/2011/08/10/evernote-helps-lawyers-get-organized-and-get-things-done-part-3/

2. Evernote provides about as much security as a gmail account. If your company is not using some kind of secure email system, then they would be no less vulnerable with Evernote. However, you should not store sensitive data in Evernote (social security numbers, credit card info, etc.) unless you have encrypted it yourself. Even then, depending on your business, that may not be sufficient. There are lots of threads in the forums on this topic.

Please improve the outline functionality in the editor. I need to be able to use dotted outlines inside numbered outlines, and outlines should be able to move easily between indenting and be "line-breaked" out of, back to normal text. In general, if it could work like MS Word, that would be awesome.

Love this app! It's really improved my life! Thanks Evernote!

• Level 5*

Please improve the outline functionality in the editor. I need to be able to use dotted outlines inside numbered outlines, and outlines should be able to move easily between indenting and be "line-breaked" out of, back to normal text. In general, if it could work like MS Word, that would be awesome.

Love this app! It's really improved my life! Thanks Evernote!

There are lots of threads about this, so I think you are not in the minority. Judging by the problems I have even in MS Word with their outlines, I am guessing this will be pretty tough to implement well.

Pinned notes! (i.e., notes that always show up at the top of the list)

A workaround for now would be to put an exclamation mark "!" at the beginning of a note title. This will sort it to the top of a list. Lots of people have asked for this kind of functionality, and I can see why.

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, you can pin individual notes to the Favorites bar. Pinning to the top of the list doesn't work, and the list is always sorted by some criterion. You can force notes to sort to the top, though, if you're inclinded to work at it. There are various ways, either by manipulating the title, or tags, or date.

I'd like to see two things, both date related. Forgive me if they've been mentioned already.

I'd like to see RTM integration (that'd do all your duedate / priority stuff). I've seen comments on both sides of the API pond on this, and would really like it to happen. Right now, I think the ball is in RTM's court, but I can certainly express my wish for it to become a reality.

I would also like to see a notebook view similar to the "Timeline" view you get in outlook. That is one of the major things I miss now that I've gone with Thunderbird (that and seamless calendar integration. Lighting with gcal is a bit buggy). Optimally, you could have it displayable by "date created", "date modified" or the elusive "due date" should it magically appear (or get integrated with RTM, *fingers crossed*)

• Level 5*
I would also like to see a notebook view similar to the "Timeline" view you get in outlook. That is one of the major things I miss now that I've gone with Thunderbird (that and seamless calendar integration. Lighting with gcal is a bit buggy). Optimally, you could have it displayable by "date created", "date modified" or the elusive "due date" should it magically appear (or get integrated with RTM, *fingers crossed*)

Timeline is in Evernote's wake -- they used to have it, but discarded it years ago. You might be interested in the third-party TuskTools: http://moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html

• Level 5*
Click on tag on open note is like click tag on left pannel.

If you Shift+Click on a tag in a note's info panel, then Evernote will act as if you had clicked on the same tag in the tag tree in the left panel: you will be displaying all notes from the current notebook that have that tag.. In addition, if you Ctrl+*****+Click on a tag in the note, then it will add that tag to the current search.

• Level 5*
Click on tag on open note is like click tag on left pannel.

If you Shift+Click on a tag in a note's info panel, then Evernote will act as if you had clicked on the same tag in the tag tree in the left panel: you will be displaying all notes from the current notebook that have that tag.. In addition, if you Ctrl+*****+Click on a tag in the note, then it will add that tag to the current search.

in windows, right?

Timeline is in Evernote's wake -- they used to have it, but discarded it years ago. You might be interested in the third-party TuskTools: http://moreproductiv...m/evernote.html

This might work. It means three products / services working together, but ... it might work.

Strongly ditto: Export all of an EverNote notebook intact with titles, dates, tags and other meta data.

As long as the only backup/export option is a format readable by only the application that created it, none of my essential data will be stored in EN.

v.4.5.3.6131 on Win7

• Level 5*

Strongly ditto: Export all of an EverNote notebook intact with titles, dates, tags and other meta data.

As long as the only backup/export option is a format readable by only the application that created it, none of my essential data will be stored in EN.

v.4.5.3.6131 on Win7

?

Evernote offers an HTML export option. The metadata is contained in the HTML file. Attachments are also exported. You can get out of Evernote anytime with the click of a button, and your files will be readable on any computer, and you can probably easily import them right into another application (that depends a little on the other application's handling of HTML files).

v.4.5.3.6131 on Win7

It's implemented

v.4.5.3.6131 on Win7

?

Evernote offers an HTML export option. The metadata is contained in the HTML file. Attachments are also exported. You can get out of Evernote anytime with the click of a button, and your files will be readable on any computer, and you can probably easily import them right into another application (that depends a little on the other application's handling of HTML files).

Yep. Enex is perfectly readable with any text editor as well btw.

• Level 5*

v.4.5.3.6131 on Win7

?

Yep. Enex is perfectly readable with any text editor as well btw.

sure, but the poster seems to be wanting a universal format, and by exporting them in html, you pretty much get to carry everything out of evernote in a completely accessible fashion.

Support for Stacks and Nested Tags and Geolocation everwhere.

• Advanced Search on Android gives me a flat list of notebooks and tags, instead of a hierarchical list
  • A shared Notebook cannot be put in one of my stacks.
  • I cannot see the nested tags for a shared notebook.
  • I can easily search for notes "near by" on android, but not on Evernote for Windows.
  • It would be awesome to be able to visualize the results of any search on a map.
  • Would be useful to be able to view the nested tags used in a notebook (or any search).

Stacks and Nested Tags are something we will probably try to work on for the various platforms we support. There are just different (ok, sometimes extordinarily different) development timelines and schedule for each platform.

For geo-location, usually these things are easier to do on mobile clients. They also make more sense to prioritize because you're more likely to create a note with geolocation on your mobile device. Also, given that a large percentage of our users use one device, it's likely that geolocation on mobile covers a big percentage of the users. However, that doesn't mean we're not interested in it for the Windows and Mac clients. Just means it doesn't get as high of a priority.

Hope that helps to explain things, and thanks for posting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I take it that being able to export a list of tags is not high on EN's priority then. :unsure:

Honestly, please please please add this in or can someone give me a workaround. I'm desperate. :blink:

Thanks

L

hi. judging from your previous posts, what you mean is that you want a complete list of all the tags in your account. currently, i do not know of any way for you to do this. i do not know if evernote plans to give us this option. they don't tell us about future projects.

one workaround (on the mac client, but probably on windows as well) would be to create a new note, open that in a separate window, click on a tag, then press ctrl+a (select all), drag all of your tags into the tag field in your new note (so the note now has every tag), and then export your note as an html file. all of the tags will be inside of it (right click and view source to see them). you could then copy/paste this into that tag note and you would have a list :)

yes, it is a long process, but it is doable!

• Level 5*
one workaround (on the mac client, but probably on windows as well) would be to create a new note, open that in a separate window, click on a tag, then press ctrl+a (select all), drag all of your tags into the tag field in your new note (so the note now has every tag), and then export your note as an html file. all of the tags will be inside of it (right click and view source to see them). you could then copy/paste this into that tag note and you would have a list :)

In the Windows client, you can use the Assign Tags dialog (Ctrl + Alt + T) to tag a note with every tag. Bring it up, then click the Select All button, then voila. Export the note to Evernote format.

• Level 5*

In the Windows client, you can use the Assign Tags dialog (Ctrl + Alt + T) to tag a note with every tag. Bring it up, then click the Select All button, then voila. Export the note to Evernote format.

stop it with your windows is better than mac feature (why isn't this in mac?)!

i think if he exports as .html it ought to be easier for him to pull out the tags in the source code, right? otherwise, i think he has to go through the additional step of "open with".

OK, I tried this and it didn't work.

I have 654 different tags at the moment and as I go through my notes, I expect that to rise by at least 500%. At the minute, it will not allow me to have more than 100 tags to the post. I could do it piecemeal I suppose... :unsure:

I know, it seems utterly crazy but I have more than a million words to go through, edit and cross reference.

Evernote is helping with everything except the being able to cross reference. I use tags as a list of terms that need to be in the glossary at the end of the text. If I have a note on Darwinism and discuss Nature/Nurture, I add that in Nature/Nurture as a tag. i.e. Something to be cross referenced and added to the glossary.

Any suggestions on how to export all the tags or even how to improve my work flow would be most welcome. :ph34r:

L

• Level 5*

Yep, you're right. Sorry for not trying this before recommending it -- I usually do that (I did it up to the Select All bit, but didn't OK out of the dialog). I don't know of any way to do this in an Evernote client; you'd need to write a program for that (speaking of which, the Developer section just got a spiffy new facelift!!). See http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/reference/NoteStore.html#Fn_NoteStore_listTags.

4000 tags sounds like a lot; way, way more than I would care to manage (I have 168, I now know, since I got the "Too many tags" error message). I guess it's not clear to me that once you have a list of all those tags, what you're going to do with them...

4000 tags sounds like a lot; way, way more than I would care to manage (I have 168, I now know, since I got the "Too many tags" error message). I guess it's not clear to me that once you have a list of all those tags, what you're going to do with them...

I have to write a definition for each of the terms to add to the glossary and make sure that each term is cross referenced to any others in the framework.

Thing of it as creating an interactive encyclopaedia and in entry, you can link to relevant entries.

L

P.S. I'm really appreciating all of this help. Sometimes I think that forum volunteers don't get enough kudos. So, Thank-you.

OK, I tried this and it didn't work.

I have 654 different tags at the moment and as I go through my notes, I expect that to rise by at least 500%. At the minute, it will not allow me to have more than 100 tags to the post. I could do it piecemeal I suppose... :unsure:

I know, it seems utterly crazy but I have more than a million words to go through, edit and cross reference.

Evernote is helping with everything except the being able to cross reference. I use tags as a list of terms that need to be in the glossary at the end of the text. If I have a note on Darwinism and discuss Nature/Nurture, I add that in Nature/Nurture as a tag. i.e. Something to be cross referenced and added to the glossary.

Any suggestions on how to export all the tags or even how to improve my work flow would be most welcome. :ph34r:

L

lamenters,

this is relativly simple to do with a script... Since I wanted to test exporting tags and notes separately and etc. anyway I wrote a vbs script for this as well (out of curiosity)

If you're on Windows then I can give it to you. (it won't run on Mac)

Anyway here is the script I wrote ( on iPad with a remote desktop app btw :) ) ... Might be useful for someone else as well for whatever reason...

To use this you need to:

export all your notes in a single .html file (make sure "tags" are enabled in export options)

In the script itself you'll need to:

Replace

inputfile = "c:\evernote.html"

With your path to the exported .html file

And replace

outputfolder = "c:\"

With any folder path you want the script to save your tags to. You will get a separate list of tags created as "tagsfinal.txt" in this folder.

Save the script itself as a .vbs file and run it.

Here is the script.

inputfile = "c:\evernote.html"

outputfolder = "c:\"

listA = outputfolder & "tags1.txt"

Set objFileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.fileSystemObject")

Set objOutputFile = objFileSystem.CreateTextFile(listA, TRUE)

'-------------------------------------------------read enex------------------------------------------------------

'read inputfile

Set objInputFile = objFileSystem.OpenTextFile(inputfile, 1)

html = objInputFile.ReadAll

objInputFile.Close

'---

html = Split(html, "Tags:")

'limit = UBound(html) - 2

For i = 1 To UBound(html)

checkA = InStr(html(i), "<i>")

if checkA > 1 then

html(i) = Split(html(i), "<i>")

html(i)(1) = Split(html(i)(1), "</i>")

checkB = InStr(html(i)(1)(0), ", ")

if checkB > 1 then

tags = Split(html(i)(1)(0), ", ")

For z = 0 To UBound(tags)

objOutputFile.WriteLine(tags(z))

z = z + 1

Next

else if checkB < 1 then

tags = html(i)(1)(0)

objOutputFile.WriteLine(tags)

i = i + 1

end if end if

else if checkA < 1 then

i = i + 1

end if end if

Next

'read first list

Set objInputFile = objFileSystem.OpenTextFile(listA, 1)

unfiltered = objInputFile.ReadAll

objInputFile.Close

'---

listB = outputfolder & "tagsfinal.txt"

Set objOutputFile = objFileSystem.CreateTextFile(listB, TRUE)

Const adOpenStatic = 3

Const adLockOptimistic = 3

Const adCmdText = &H0001

Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

Set objRecordSet = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

strPathToTextFile = outputfolder

strFile = "tags1.txt"

objConnection.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _

"Data Source=" & strPathtoTextFile & ";" & _

"Extended Properties=""text;HDR=NO;FMT=Delimited"""

objRecordSet.Open "Select DISTINCT * FROM " & strFile, _

objConnection, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText

Do Until objRecordSet.EOF

'Wscript.Echo objRecordSet.Fields.Item(0).Value

objOutputFile.WriteLine(objRecordSet.Fields.Item(0).Value)

objRecordSet.MoveNext

Loop

msgbox("all done")

• Level 5*

wow may. that is amazing. well-done!

@lamenters

i have to keep track of a lot of vocabulary (i am a historian) that includes people, places, and events from various languages and time periods. i have a system that does not use tags, but it might be too simple for your taste :)

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernoteresearch.html

the evernote tags are really powerful, and even though i do not use them, i recognize their value! i would suggest, though, that hundreds or thousands are going to become quite unwieldy, so you may want to consider some adjustments (even if you do not go down my crazy rabbit hole). perhaps start a new thread stating your problem, your current workflow, and soliciting possible solutions would be the best way to go. there is a lot of knowledge banging around in the heads of people on this forum :)

GM, thanks! 

It's somewhat off-topic but I'm testing exporting Evernote data to other apps and with a bit of scripting it's also possible to convert tags to random codes in all notes. 

This way you can use tags in Evernote and then export all your data to an app which doesn't even support tags or anything like that without losing them (they will be converted to random codes and you will have a description of what tag each random code represents in a separate note).

The conversion of tags to random codes could be automated and done with one click basically..

So the organization structure with tags is entirely portable and compatible with any other application. This is a very important feature of Evernote in my view

Anyway here is the script I wrote ( on iPad with a remote desktop app btw :) ) ... Might be useful for someone else as well for whatever reason...

To use this you need to:

export all your notes in a single .html file (make sure "tags" are enabled in export options)

In the script itself you'll need to:

Ok, pretend I'm a complete moron, (go on, it's not hard) how do I apply this script? How do I use what is undoubtedly a masterpiece?

GrumpyMonkey - I looked at your link, it was very interesting. What I liked about your system is that everything that you had is useful. I need to amalgamate and edit out a large proportion of bad ideas and junk. It's why I use the tags. In each note, I tag it with things that need following up. (To be added to the glossary/edited) Thanks anyway though.

And thanks May, kudos to you too.

i attached the script here http://dl.dropbox.co...port%20tags.vbs

you need to "save as" this file somewhere. or just copy/paste it to a text editor and save it as .vbs file (not .txt)

the easiest way to use it would be to export all your notes as a single .html file named as "evernote.html" (make sure "tags" are enabled in export options) to "C:\" and then run the script. You will get all your tags in a "tagsfinal.txt" which would also be created in "C:\" (root of drive C).

if you want to keep files in a different location then edit the first 2 lines of the script with any text editor and replace the locations.

I have a few pet peeves for Evernote:

When I change the font for selected text I can't just click the font selection box and type the font name (the box will only allow the first letter of the font, which means I will still have to click the little down arrow next to the box which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place!)

Selected text doesn't live update to a new size/font, which gives me a lot of extra work if I frequently change from size or font...

The tab key inserts 5 spaces, which (as a programmer) drives me insane. Please make the tab key insert an invisible tab character instead.

I can't search in the file list by typing the file name (something Explorer can do). And typing a keyword in the search bar gives me usually more than 1 result, which means I still have to scan through a list of files.

Please fix these issues!

The rest of the program works great, but currently I prefer the standard notepad.exe from Windows (which is pretty horrible) over the built in Evernote text editor.

• Level 5*
When I change the font for selected text I can't just click the font selection box and type the font name (the box will only allow the first letter of the font, which means I will still have to click the little down arrow next to the box which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first place!)

Could probably be handled better.

Selected text doesn't live update to a new size/font, which gives me a lot of extra work if I frequently change from size or font...

Don't know what this means. When I apply a new typeface or size to a selection, it applies immediately.

The tab key inserts 5 spaces, which (as a programmer) drives me insane. Please make the tab key insert an invisible tab character instead.

Evernote uses an HTML-derived system to store your note content, and as a programmer, you should understand that tabs are just whitespace in HTML, that is, they don't affect formatting. In many cases, entering tab in an Evernote note causes indentation, just like using Ctrl+M. In some situations (like in the middle of a paragraph, I think) doing that doesn't make sense, so they insert multiple spaces.

I can't search in the file list by typing the file name (something Explorer can do).

What file list?

And typing a keyword in the search bar gives me usually more than 1 result, which means I still have to scan through a list of files.

Amazing; you performed a search query and got more than one result. And Google doesn't do this? What were you expecting?

Is this an official thread, does the Evernote team actually look here?

My No. 1 feature request right now:

I currently cannot search for search-strings in the note titles only, which waters down the search result quality.

Thus, I want to be able to select in which note fields (title, content or even URL or tags field?) my search will be conducted.

(Due to certain bugs, but also because it can always happen that I look for a note whose title is also used in the content of another mostly unrelated note.)

• Level 5*

This is a guaranteed official thread in the Evernote user forum, just like all the others. Had you read through it, you'd have seen that there is participation by at least one Evernote staff member.

I currently cannot search for search-strings in the note titles only, which waters down the search result quality.

Thus, I want to be able to select in which note fields (title, content or even URL or tags field?) my search will be conducted.

(Due to certain bugs, but also because it can always happen that I look for a note whose title is also used in the content of another mostly unrelated note.)

Does the intitle: search operator no longer work? That's the one that searches exclusively in note titles. See the Knowledge Base article: https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/535/Using-Evernote-s-advanced-search-operators. Note that this search is an exact search (with an optional wildcard at the end); that is, if you search for intitle:at or intitle:c, then a note with the title 'Cat' will not be found, however intitle:cat or intitle:c* will find it.

Don't know what this means. When I apply a new typeface or size to a selection, it applies immediately.

Word (2007 and newer) does it the way I like it.

1. Type some text and select it.
  2. Go to the font dropdown box and click the little down arrow
  3. Now when you move your mouse over different fonts, the selected text changes to that font so you can preview how it looks.
  4. If you like the font you're hovering above, click it to make the change permanent.

This would be a handy feature to have.

Evernote uses an HTML-derived system to store your note content, and as a programmer, you should understand that tabs are just whitespace in HTML, that is, they don't affect formatting. In many cases, entering tab in an Evernote note causes indentation, just like using Ctrl+M. In some situations (like in the middle of a paragraph, I think) doing that doesn't make sense, so they insert multiple spaces.

Fair enough. :)

I can't search in the file list by typing the file name (something Explorer can do).

What file list?

This one

And typing a keyword in the search bar gives me usually more than 1 result, which means I still have to scan through a list of files.

Amazing; you performed a search query and got more than one result. And Google doesn't do this? What were you expecting?

The search bar works file, but that wasn't my point. :)

This was what I like to see fixed.

When I type in a filename, I want the selected file to be the filename I'm typing, but the program doesn't do that at all :'(

Thanks for your time.

• Level 5*

Those are notes, not files, and that's the note list, which is viewable in several flavors: List view, Snippet view and Thumbnail view. Don't know if they'll ever implement navigation via typing directly in the note list, if that's what you're getting at.

1. Correct, consistent behaviour of bullet lists, especially when pasting and nesting them. (windows)
  2. Better implementation of editing long notes on Android tablet (maybe iOS too, I don't know)

1. That wierd split screen edit box thing is crazy frustrating.
    2. Consistent behaviour of the tagging box, it does not consistently autofill the tag when you start typing so I frequently create new tags that are parts of existing tags.(windows)

So not new features, just fixing/modifying existing ones.

My No. 1 feature request right now:

Jefito beat me to this, but the answers are: This is officially a "user's forum" so the point is mainly for users to help each other, but Evernote employees do read pretty much everything here (at least one of us tends to read any given thread, we might not always respond though).

And yes, use intitle:SearchTermHere and that'll help you out

Word (2007 and newer) does it the way I like it.

1. Type some text and select it.
  2. Go to the font dropdown box and click the little down arrow
  3. Now when you move your mouse over different fonts, the selected text changes to that font so you can preview how it looks.
  4. If you like the font you're hovering above, click it to make the change permanent.

This would be a handy feature to have.

This was what I like to see fixed.

When I type in a filename, I want the selected file to be the filename I'm typing, but the program doesn't do that at all :'(

Thanks for your time.

The font selecting thing is nifty, not sure how high priority it ends up being for now. I'll add it to our list of feature requests

you need to "save as" this file somewhere. or just copy/paste it to a text editor and save it as .vbs file (not .txt)

the easiest way to use it would be to export all your notes as a single .html file named as "evernote.html" (make sure "tags" are enabled in export options) to "C:\" and then run the script. You will get all your tags in a "tagsfinal.txt" which would also be created in "C:\" (root of drive C).

if you want to keep files in a different location then edit the first 2 lines of the script with any text editor and replace the locations.

You sir, are a magician! Worked like a dream for which I am inordinately grateful. If I can repay you in some way, let me know.

L

You sir, are a magician! Worked like a dream for which I am inordinately grateful. If I can repay you in some way, let me know.

L

Thanks! I'm just glad it helped :)

i take a lot of plain text notes, and one very simple thing i would love to see would be better functionality when using TAB. most text editors have the ability to turn on or off how a TAB is inserted -- whether as an actual tab or 4 (or 5) spaces. by default, pressing TAB inserts spaces and if i need to go back you have to just press backspace many times and becomes difficult to manage many lines with lots of indenting.

also, many text editors have the functionality that pressing the home key multiple times alternates placing the cursor between the front of the current line and the first character of that lines -- again, something very useful when doing lots of indenting when taking a lot of notes.

• Level 5*
i take a lot of plain text notes, and one very simple thing i would love to see would be better functionality when using TAB. most text editors have the ability to turn on or off how a TAB is inserted -- whether as an actual tab or 4 (or 5) spaces. by default, pressing TAB inserts spaces and if i need to go back you have to just press backspace many times and becomes difficult to manage many lines with lots of indenting.

Ctrl+M (and Tab in some cases) to indent.

Ctrl+Shft+M (and SHift+Tab in some cases) to outdent.

My requests:

1.search into .doc and .xls

2.easy mutual convert between notebooks and tags

(actually I think if there is 'tag with notebook-attribution' which is displayed upper part of the list, notebooks will be unnecessary and trial&error of arranging information will become easier.)

3.UTF-8 without BOM support(I wrote in another thread)

4.Rotation of .pdf or .jpg (for Scansnap user)

5.option not to cache notes in particular notebooks (I want to reduce the ammount of cache files in PC with a small SSD.

Navigating note fields should NOT interrupt audio playback.

I use audio notes to give permanence to my ideas while I'm out and about, often driving. Later I want to add tags, title, and a few searcheable comments to the content of the audio, or just transcribe it completely. However, when I'm listening and tab between field, it kills the audio so I have to start over. Even if I put the note it in a separate window, tabbing or switching fields anywhere in the app kills the audio.

Integrating the app with the Dragon Systems Speech Dictation engine would also be great. This way I could just click a button and transcription would be automatically populated below the audio file within the note. A batch job feature like this would also be cool, but it would have to check a flag within the audio file to make sure it didn't repeatedly add transcriptions below the file or worse erase corrected transcriptions.

Improving table functionality, so I can simply align a second column without using a monospaced font and putting spaces everywhere. Like this: (ignore surrounding box)

Name: Jontyc
Login: jontyc
Pass: xxxxxxxx

I've found using tables unworkable because of:

1. having to prenominate their width. If I make it 20% then when I realise I've underestimated I have to start the table again, put up with word-wrap despite 80% room left on the window, or edit the underlying xhtml.
  2. having a table width of 20% might be appropriate for the desktop, but 20% on the Android with its smaller screen width has wrapping after every word or two.
  3. their dark, bulky, bevelled borders dominating the contents and reminding me of hacked up web sites from the early 90's.

Actually what would be nice is to flick the note into ENML-editing mode, to solve all these problems when bullets, tables and clipped material start going crazy.

• Level 5*
Actually what would be nice is to flick the note into ENML-editing mode, to solve all these problems when bullets, tables and clipped material start going crazy.

You mean within the Windows version of EN? That would be real cool!

• Level 5*

You mean within the Windows version of EN? That would be real cool!

great idea, but lets see it on every platform. on ios i have to suffer with a mess of fonts from copy/paste. would be nice if i could just toggle to enml and tidy it all up myself.

• Level 5*

great idea, but lets see it on every platform. on ios i have to suffer with a mess of fonts from copy/paste. would be nice if i could just toggle to enml and tidy it all up myself.

It would be even better if it wasn't necessary to tidy it up. ;)

IMO, what we need across all EN clients is for basic Note editing to work well.

• 3 weeks later...

Background color of a Note. I have a note where I post my favorite pics from the web. It would be nice if I could change the background color of my Note to back or dark gray so that my pictures stand out more.

Stacks (one level deep) are as good as you're going to get for a very long time, as far as notebooks go. You can organize using tags & nested tags. This has been discussed at great length, already, on the board. Anyone wanting to use Evernote is simply going to have to come to terms with using tags for organizing, rather than sub notebooks.

Or any of the other methods discussed at length in these forums. Multiple notebooks, multiple tags, advanced search features, etc. in combination can organize anyone. Not always to their delight or even comfort if they are used to other systems, but Evernote is flexible enough to be able to make it work. For all the other benefits I'm willing to work with it.

I would like to see search box similar to the search box in the Android client. When entering search term in drop down menu should appear tags, saved searches, search intitle etc

This I like. The search features of Evernote are powerful but they are not the easiest to use and this would be a big help.

I would love to sleep at night knowing that if Evernote suddenly goes belly up and doesn't work on Windows 2020, I could have exported the notes to HTML .. with titles, dates, tags and other meta data.

It's a bit of a pain to extract, but my Evernote notes are stored on the hard drive in either PDF or HTML files that I could extract should a catastrophic event happen (Evernote closing).

Maybe this is in here somewhere, but the thread is so long...

I would REALLY like the view option within a notebook to persist. For some notebooks the default of "date created newest first" works fine. For many, I need a LIFO arrangement, or I always want to see them in title order (and I create the titles on purpose to make that happen). Every time I get into a notebook, even when I haven't left Evernote, I have to change it again. Small, but persistently annoying.

Maybe this is in here somewhere, but the thread is so long...

I would REALLY like the view option within a notebook to persist. For some notebooks the default of "date created newest first" works fine. For many, I need a LIFO arrangement, or I always want to see them in title order (and I create the titles on purpose to make that happen). Every time I get into a notebook, even when I haven't left Evernote, I have to change it again. Small, but persistently annoying.

Yeah, it's been asked for before (and not just recently), but doesn't seem to be on the radar. I use different notbooks all the time that need to be sorted differently, and yes, it's a PITA to need to change to sort order EVERY time you switch.

1. Inknotes on iPad!!

2. Ability to pull e-mail addresses from Outlook when emailing notes from Evernote.

3. Handwriting recognition from PDF. (not required if you give us inknotes on iPad)

4. Better folder structure for filing notes. Stacks are nice but I need the ability to create more subfolders.

• Level 5*
1. Inknotes on iPad!!

You'd be better off requestiong this in the iWhatever-specific forum, rather than the Windows forum.

I've got a request about un-sync'd notes. I've got mountains of paperwork from my mom's estate. These items are VERY private and I really just need to store them and not have access to them on all devices. I use the un-sync'd notebooks. The problem is that they still show up in my "All Notes" notebook without a way to hide them. There are other notes from time to time that I want to hide and cannot do so. I teach a lot of my Real Estate clients how to use Evernote and use my account a lot to show them how a fully functioning account works. I want certain things to hide from view... maybe even NOT show a preview?

Any ideas? Tech support chat person suggested I post here and ask others to suggest this feature with me so it will get some attention. Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I've got a request about un-sync'd notes. I've got mountains of paperwork from my mom's estate. These items are VERY private and I really just need to store them and not have access to them on all devices. I use the un-sync'd notebooks. The problem is that they still show up in my "All Notes" notebook without a way to hide them. There are other notes from time to time that I want to hide and cannot do so. I teach a lot of my Real Estate clients how to use Evernote and use my account a lot to show them how a fully functioning account works. I want certain things to hide from view... maybe even NOT show a preview?

Any ideas? Tech support chat person suggested I post here and ask others to suggest this feature with me so it will get some attention. Ideas? Thoughts?

Best suggestion I can give is to create a second account for *PRIVATE* notes. It is fairly easy to switch accounts in the Windows desktop client.

I'm very new to EN but a few things I've noticed so far that would be great to have:

1. Ability to Share stacks- rather than just each and every individual notebook.
  2. A Highlighter pen/marker - so after you clip a webpage for example, you can yellow highlight over the most important bits in the article.
  3. Format Painter tool - So that you can quickly and easily tidy up a note that contains info clipped / copied in from several different sources with varying fonts / formats etc.
  4. Abilty to Resize an image - Currently if you copy and paste an image into a note you cannot resize. So if you copy a very large image, it takes up the whole note and even goes off the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Suggestion: Enable printing multiple notes in a table format by Title or by current view so that you could sort based on custom criteria.

i.e. User selects all the notes that they want to print so that they end up with a list of titles, tags, notebooks, created date, modified date, etc... instead of the entire note contents.

• Level 5*

That's a sort option (Instead of Notes by Created, etc)

hi. i am not sure i understood the suggestion or the answer. i think the poster wanted to be able to sort by notes according to the number of ones with a tag. so, for example, if you had two tags with 50 in one and 100 in another, the 100 would come first.

(i know this is a windows forum, but) we do not have the ability to sort on the mac by tag. we do have it on windows, but i haven't figured out how it is ordered yet. is it arranged in order by number of notes in each tag?

• Level 5*

I understand the request to mean that the OP wishes to sort tags by number of notes that use the tag, rather than alphabetically, as is the current way.

• 1 month later...

L

Hello Everyone,

I'm back and I have another slight problem. If you look over the posts above, May here helped me out with a .vbs script that allowed me to export my tags only. It's stopped working though. I now get this message.

Line: 87

Char: 1

Error: Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

Code 800A0E7A

Source: ADODB.Connection

Could anyone, (May?), shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

L

L

Hello Everyone,

I'm back and I have another slight problem. If you look over the posts above, May here helped me out with a .vbs script that allowed me to export my tags only. It's stopped working though. I now get this message.

Line: 87

Char: 1

Error: Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed.

Code 800A0E7A

Source: ADODB.Connection

Could anyone, (May?), shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

L

I actually updated the script quite a bit and it should resolve your problem as well :)

Download it here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11708186/export%20tags.vbs

OK,

I just tried running it and I have discovered that it is not picking up all the tags. I don't know how many though because I don't know how to find out the total number of tags that I have. (Any suggestions on that one)

I have the impression though that it is about one in twenty though. I'll keep trying and checking though.

L

OK,

I just tried running it and I have discovered that it is not picking up all the tags. I don't know how many though because I don't know how to find out the total number of tags that I have. (Any suggestions on that one)

I have the impression though that it is about one in twenty though. I'll keep trying and checking though.

L

as long as you have more than 100 tags - you can check the amount of tags by

Right clicking on any note

Tag note

Select all

Ok

It should tell you by how many tags you exceed the maximum allowed 100 tags. So just add 100 to this number to get the overall amount of tags

The script should extract all tags from all exported notes(make sure to export **all** notes), but if some tags have no notes associated with them this could be the reason why you don't see some tags.

I just tested again it and it extracts exactly all tags in my case except those "empty" tags which have no notes associated with them

Hi May,

Its seems to be working properly now. I was clearly doing something wrong. I do have Tags without Notes attached but that is not a problem. Well, actually the 100 Tag limit really is a problem but maybe that's something for another day. Notes will be added in to those Tags at a later date.

Thanks for all your help.

L

• 1 month later...

Hello,

EVERNOTE Is great ! :D

I use it more than a year now , i save every thought, diary entry, things i need to do or remember. I also use it combined with Awesome Note on my IPhone 4.

Is it possible for you to make a Hebrew spelling option available, can i help with that?

Thank you.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

I absolutely agree with numerous other comments - the single biggest missing capability in Evernote is a tree structure. I want to be able to nest arbitrary levels of notebooks. Tags just do not cut it.

I doubt whether arbitrarily nested notebooks will be coming around any time soon (though you never know). Curious, though -- in what way do tags not "cut it" for you?

I doubt whether arbitrarily nested notebooks will be coming around any time soon (though you never know). Curious, though -- in what way do tags not "cut it" for you?

Because they're not a real tree - you can't have Housing-Suburb-Richmond and Sports-AFL-Richmond, which makes them pretty useless.

• Level 5*

Interestingly, we use words to describe ourselves, our lives and our world. Words don't really fit well in a tree-like structure either (due at least to the existence of homonyms - words that have multiple meanings), but we seem to do pretty well anyways. I use tag trees as a loose structure, but don't depend on that hierarchy to categorize my notes. It's tags and the richness of expression they allow (along with just plain text search) that give a flexibility to organization that works for me. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone...

• Level 5*

Ooops, shouldn't have replied to an "evangelist"...

Oh, yawn. You responded, you should be able to take a response (which was, incidentally, not contrary to what you posted, just a different take on things). Or are evangelists not allowed to have opinions?

My two requests would be for better outline support, the top thing on my list, and for a better spell checker.

I really love Evernote I think it's an awesome tool and I do use it for everything.

The folks at EN have done a great job, and have one of the best products available. Keep up the good work guys. Well done!

Archived