(Archived) REQUEST: Indentation

mattmorten

Idea

I make use of indentation a lot with Evernote, at least just to organise my thoughts. On Evernote for Windows, I can use CTRL-M, which will correctly indent a paragraph of text.

On the Mac, there is no such option that I've found. Instead, you have to use the Tab key, which causes problems when the tabbed-text wraps around onto a new line (the next line is not indented).

The second issue is that Evernote on both Mac and Windows doesn't seem to respect tab-stops correctly - hitting tab just seems to push the text X spaces across, not to the next tab-stop.

Can these issues be addressed?

Thanks.

94 replies to this idea

+1 for this feature. I waited until the 20th time I wanted to do this before replying. It's a bit insane to me that such a common feature doesn't exist. It's a pretty standard use-case to want to restructure blocks of text by increasing/decreasing indents. This doesn't seem like it would be a complex feature to implement. Adding and removing spaces to N-lines really. Anyway, I LOVE the software and use it daily, but this is one thing that is becoming more and more annoying to me.

Thanks!

+1 for implementation of the indentation tool and +1 for the "removing formatting" tool

SOLUTION: until when Evernote won't decide to implement these essential tools I can suggest you a little workaround: use the web version of evernote. It doesn't work as fast as the local version.. but it works, both indentation and removing formatting

• Level 5*

Thanks GM. My advice to you all is to keep your clients updated :)

Is this a Halloween or Christmas gift?

By the way, you can easily keep your clients updated by going into Preferences and checking "Automatically check for updates."

• Level 5*

It's been 8 months. I know the functionality is easy, because I can indent on my iPad and then copy and paste around the indents on my mac.

We're waiting 8 months to have two small buttons added to the app: Indent in and Indent out

Can anyone from Evernote explain what's going on here? 8 months, I am not sure that this issue has reached anyone involved with designing the app yet.

Here are a few of the responses from this very thread, and one of them explicitly states that the project manager for the Mac platform has been informed (he reads these forums as well, but I think dlu was just emphasizing that we are being heard). I am sure a search will turn up more.

I cannot say why we do not have the functionality, but I can say that the people designing the app know what we are talking about here.

It's been 8 months. I know the functionality is easy, because I can indent on my iPad and then copy and paste around the indents on my mac.

We're waiting 8 months to have two small buttons added to the app: Indent in and Indent out

Can anyone from Evernote explain what's going on here? 8 months, I am not sure that this issue has reached anyone involved with designing the app yet.

Calm down, we waited more than a year for stacks and nested tags on iPad, and it's not there yet.

I'd also like to throw my vote in for this feature. After using the Windows, iOS, and web versions of Evernote for over two years I've (finally) made the switch to Mac. Evernote without indenting is like a hamburger without the tomato. Sure, we can still eat the burger ... but why? ^_^

I'd like to have indentation ability on the Mac client as well. In general, I'd just like there to be consistent editing controls on all clients. I'd even settle for fewer editing options just to have a normalized feature set across platforms; it's really weird to have to jump to one client or another to perform a certain editing function or, just as bad, to be blocked from editing a note because it has been edited in one client using features not supported in another.

• Level 5*

Has this been incorporated yet?

I can't believe this is still not available to Mac users :(

If it's still not available - I'd like to add my vote!

Not available yet. Also, the premium and free apps are identical (responding to an earlier post). I expect it will come eventually, as it has appeared on mobile. I don't know when, but hopefully soon :)

I'm on the free version of Evernote for Mac (and I run it on my iPhone). Does the Premium version have proper indentation?

I love Evernote, but this has to be the single most frustrating issue with the app.

I use Evernote for work and also for personal notes to organize my life.

Whenever I'm taking notes in a meeting, I use the tab key to indent/outline text to keep it organized and easier to read/digest. Unfortunately, the lack of a proper indentation renders the notes useless outside of evernote, i.e. if I try to paste the notes into an email message (MS Outlook Mail for Mac is my mail client), I lose ALL indentations. In order to get the indentations back in Outlook, I have to completely recompose the notes and allow MS Outlook's auto-formatting bullets do their thing. This is terribly frustrating and makes me want to find another app for note taking on my Mac/iPhone.

Evernote folks, please try to prioritize proper indentation into the Mac client. I'd also give a vote for ensuring the ability to paste notes into other apps like MS Outlook, MS Word, etc.

Thank you! Great product otherwise, but this is a big issue for me. My VP's of my department don't bother to read messages that are not formatted clearly and that effects my performance. If I have to re-compose every note I send via email, that effects my efficiency and performance too. Hence why it would be worth finding another note taking application.

+1 from me too. I'm a brand new Evernote user, moving my notes over from Apple Notes and Notational Velocity. I'm stunned this simple feature is missing. I'm a software architect and I makes lots of design notes, including indented XML.

I am pleased to see tab indents are a nice clean 4 spaces and not a mindless 8-space tab.

Every month or so I update Evernote on Mac to see if this indent feature is available and alas, as of August 22, still a "no go."

dlu, I appreciate you commenting on this forum... but I'm curious are there some serious technical issues trying to provide a client that allows some sort of indent? or does it just seem like a very low priority for the devs to work on? Does the topic even come up in meetings there?

I just don't understand why this isn't a super HIGH priority? I know a lot of others who are not using Evernote just for the lack of this feature. (I'm just sticking with simplenote since I can just highlight the text I want to indent and click tab and it indents - just like it does in all the IDEs I use.)

Just such a shame that such a potentially great product I have to skip using since it's a feature I can't live without (again, I use my notes for pasting in a lot of code snippets, so being able to fix some indentation is critical.)

I'll bring it up again. Jackolicious handles the Mac stuff nowadays and I've let him know.

Every month or so I update Evernote on Mac to see if this indent feature is available and alas, as of August 22, still a "no go."

dlu, I appreciate you commenting on this forum... but I'm curious are there some serious technical issues trying to provide a client that allows some sort of indent? or does it just seem like a very low priority for the devs to work on? Does the topic even come up in meetings there?

I just don't understand why this isn't a super HIGH priority? I know a lot of others who are not using Evernote just for the lack of this feature. (I'm just sticking with simplenote since I can just highlight the text I want to indent and click tab and it indents - just like it does in all the IDEs I use.)

Just such a shame that such a potentially great product I have to skip using since it's a feature I can't live without (again, I use my notes for pasting in a lot of code snippets, so being able to fix some indentation is critical.)

Been a year since this post was started and still no ability to Indent/Outdent for the Mac client. The "biggest" reason I use Evernote is because it is equally accessible across all my devices Mac/iPad/iPhone/PC/Web but this missing feature is huge for me and there is no workaround for Mac.

Every note editor in existence can do this, please Evernote, in the words of Jean-Luc Picard... make it so!

• Level 5*

The other bigger problem is that the CMD-[ and CMD-] actually perform the Back and Forward function like in a web browser.  If a note hasn't fully synchronized and I hit that keyboard command, I'll lose all my unsynchronized notes in that note card.  BAD!!!

Switching to a different note shouldn't cause you to lose unsynchronized changes.

I'm certainly trying to be more careful in not hitting this keyboard command quickly out of habit like I do in other apps.  But this was a really poor choice of keyboard commands on Evernote's part.  You need to follow operating system standards for keyboard commands not just make up your own.

The note back/forward operations triggered by Cmd+[ and Cmd+] are meant to mimic the web browser operations, as far as I can remember. So that it, to a certain extent, following a standard (not sure if it's a web browser standard or a MacOS standard).
  • Level 5*

You can change keyboard shortcuts in your system preferences if you'd like.

Honestly I could not find any shortcut binding to Cmd-[ or Cmd-] or indentation or Evernote in system preferences -> keyboard -> shortcuts.

I think what Jack meant is that you can ADD new shortcuts in the Mac System Preferences.  The built-in shortcuts for each app do NOT show there.

So, you cannot remove or change the App's built-in shortcuts, but you can add new ones.

one item of feedback with the indentation feature is that the TAB key still inputs a bunch of spaces into the beginning of a line, not a true indent.  is it possible to get the TAB key to function the same as hitting the indent button or <CMD-SHIFT-[> keystroke?

I can't easily reproduce it.  Seems like it was a fluky thing.  I wonder if I may have been offline (no WiFi) at the time so the notes I was making were not being sync'd and then when I hit the back button quickly and then tried to go forward, I lost the offline changes in the note.  Other than that, I can't really document the steps to reproduce the issue.

• Level 5*

Then there must be another bug with Evernote.  I've found on several occasions of typing a note of substantial length and then quickly hitting the CMD-[ keystroke by mistake I lose all my changes to the note.

Bugs like that are worth reporting to support. See the link in my signature.

I'll add my voice too.

Being HTML is not a great excuse. I can think of a few different ways to indent:

1. Use CSS (or even a local style) to add a longer left margin.
  2. Place the text into an LI, with list-style-list-indicator=None, and use list depth for indent depth. The text is (I'll assume) in a DIV or P tag.
  3. Add a table with no borders, and a blank leftmost cell for each indent depth, and the text paragraph in a rightmost cell.

That was 3 in just 3 minutes thought - this is not that hard in terms of output - and in terms of the data model, perhaps having a CSS class "indent-level1" to N would make it easy. of course - I should be able to assume that it is in the data model already since the windows client works, and that I can paste web pages straight in.

I wander if you can copy, paste into another app, indent/dedent there and paste back?

Thank you for including the indentation feature, finally!

My only complaint though is that the keyboard shortcut requires inclusion of the "Shift" key.  All other text editing apps on the Mac that I'm used to do not require including the Shift key.  

The other bigger problem is that the CMD-[ and CMD-] actually perform the Back and Forward function like in a web browser.  If a note hasn't fully synchronized and I hit that keyboard command, I'll lose all my unsynchronized notes in that note card.  BAD!!!

I'm certainly trying to be more careful in not hitting this keyboard command quickly out of habit like I do in other apps.  But this was a really poor choice of keyboard commands on Evernote's part.  You need to follow operating system standards for keyboard commands not just make up your own.

Per the post below, my command for indentation doesn't work since it looks like this:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/1c2c2450-c0c9-4764-b185-c054e7772644/c5d7287ad50191a25beccfd6b018eb65

Also, I echo with everyone else... GIVE US BUTTONS ON THE TOOLBAR FOR INDENTATION.

My 3 month periodic check in. Just updated the latest Mac Beta and still NO indentation.. which means I still can't use this as my primary Note taking app.

It just boggles my mind that this isn't a priority. I'd think the main thing people would use the app for is for "notes." Being able to indent is a pretty standard feature.

Back to my combo of Simplenote for notes, and SpringPad for web clips.

Look under the Format menu or you can try ⌘] and ⌘[

skitch.png

Finally, but very painful choice of shortcut keys. In fact I don't know how to type ⌘] or ⌘[. On my keyboard [ and ] are alt-8 and alt-9, but ⌘-alt-8 or ⌘-alt-9 does not indent and outdent in Evernote. And not having these on the ribbon and having to go through the multi-level menu is super annoying.

@dlu SWEET!!!!!

Many thanks to the team for putting this in! Now I can use just one app (which is nice because I'm also an avid skitch user as well... so having one app for my notes, clippings, and skitch exports is pretty nice.)

Thanks again!

Fantastic! Yeah Jackolicious got the team on this :)

@dlu SWEET!!!!!

Many thanks to the team for putting this in! Now I can use just one app (which is nice because I'm also an avid skitch user as well... so having one app for my notes, clippings, and skitch exports is pretty nice.)

Thanks again!

My 3 month periodic check in. Just updated the latest Mac Beta and still NO indentation.. which means I still can't use this as my primary Note taking app.

It just boggles my mind that this isn't a priority. I'd think the main thing people would use the app for is for "notes." Being able to indent is a pretty standard feature.

Look under the Format menu or you can try ⌘] and ⌘[

skitch.png

• Level 5*

NixNote the client still accesses the Evernote service, and it has a capability that Evernote's Mac client does not have, which might be useful to some Mac users. Shouldn't be any problem with that, or with NixNoteUser's forum handle.

The missing indentation in Evernote for Mac feature is a deal breaker for me. I cannot believe it took so long to implement this basic feature. Evernote should get a new Mac developer to get this done.

I am currently using NixNote (GPL version of EverNote) on my Mac since it has the badly needed indentation feature.

• Level 5*

I think that it's fair to point out that this forum's handling of editing isn't exactly perfect either. It's possible that it's an interaction between the browser that I use (Chrome), but I've experienced a number of glitches, including copy'n'paste trainwrecks and strange editing behaviors relative to cursor positioning. So be careful what you wish for...

Another vote for being able to indent paragraphs on the Mac. It surprising to have to use the web version of Evernote to indent paragraphs -- I assumed it would be easier to create a feature-rich experience on the Mac than in a web browser.

Heck, I can indent paragraphs

in this user form.

Yep, that's been brought up before. I've heard the, "maybe you should hire the guys who developed this forum to help you" and everything... *grumbles* We'll revisit this when we can

Another vote for being able to indent paragraphs on the Mac. It surprising to have to use the web version of Evernote to indent paragraphs -- I assumed it would be easier to create a feature-rich experience on the Mac than in a web browser.

Heck, I can indent paragraphs

in this user form.

I am adding my vote for this feature on the Mac client. One of the great things about evernote is the ability to use it from anywhere. I have a Mac at home and a PC at work and it would certainly be nice being able to edit the same way with the same tools on both platforms.

This is becoming a real frustration for me. I'm trying to run NixNote since I have to have indentation. I often copy over blocks of code for reference into Evernote but often need to reformat it with some block indents but can't do it. Drives me crazy.

(Not having much luck getting NixNote 1.2 to run on my MBP with the 64bit JVM, so if anyone has suggestions as to what try please let me know. Tried changing the -d parameter in the startup script to -d64 but that still caused errors.)

(Does the current Mac beta have indent? I briefly checked the forum beta post and didn't see it as a feature.)

I would also like to vote for indentation -- or more specifically, the ability to un-indent. Sometime text copied into Evernote has indentation, and I would love to be able to eliminate it. Sometimes the Simplify Formatting command works, but not always. A little more control would be most helpful.

Is there any roadmap or feature tracking system?

I really want to know if this enhancement will be implemented. This lack of indentation ability is a major caveat for me on mac.

A simple TAB to a highlighted block and an alternate SHIFT + TAB would be great.

I'm adding my vote for an indentation feature for note taking. I use a Macbook through the majority of my day. Often I find that sometimes a bulleted list makes some blocks of notes harder to read, and the centred option pushes the block too far to the right. An option to push the a group of text over 4 spaces would be very welcome.

I'd like to also cast my vote for adding the indent feature to the Mac version.

I use Evernote from multiple platforms to document, take meeting notes, jot down quick ideas and more. Usually, my primary creation is done on either a Win 7 box or a Mac O/S machine while I use on either my Android phone or my iPad when presenting. When creating notes, the ability to indent is one of many methods I use to separate out important points, accent areas of interest, and simply make the flow easier to follow. This is especially true for notes I share with my staff. More than once I've simply thrown my thoughts down on my Mac and followed up by going to my Win 7 box to fix the formatting.

Yes, it's a convenience thing. Yes, I can go to my PC and do the fixes. But if I'm at a Mac taking notes, typing out thoughts, or planning, I'd like to be able to do it all right there, not have to hope I remember what I was doing when I do get back to my Windows box to update the formatting.

Thanks for the consideration.

Just to give more attention to this post: I'd also like to be able to indent text in the Mac client. I often paste cited paragraphs into a note and add my own thoughts to it above or below. Indenting the cited text using the Windows client always helps me to keep track of everything. Unfortunately, I cannot do this in the Mac client...

• Level 5*

I explained how it works on Windows (Tab/Shift+Tab for lists, and Ctrl+M, Ctrl+Shift+M for normal text), which is not a repeat of your original assertion, but only because you brought up the Windows behavior in the Mac forum. I don't use the Mac software so I can't speak to that.

~Jeff

As Evernote stores their internal content its HTML-derived ENML, they do not store tab characters; instead, they emulate tab stops using

elements. There's no such thing as tab stops in HTML.

Fair enough. I guess it's not trivial to try and simulate this in HTML.

In the Windows client, you use Ctrl+M / Ctrl + Shift + M to indent / outdent unbulleted text (i.e., not in an evernote list, bulleted or numbered). Pressing the Tab key (or Shifht + Tab) will insert some number of elements (non-break spaces).

On the other hand, in a list, Tab and Shift + Tab will indent / outdent the list at that point.

Thanks, but I think you've just repeated my original assertion - the Windows client has indenting, but the Mac client does not. Any reason for this?

• Level 5*

As Evernote stores their internal content its HTML-derived ENML, they do not store tab characters; instead, they emulate tab stops using

elements. There's no such thing as tab stops in HTML.

In the Windows client, you use Ctrl+M / Ctrl + Shift + M to indent / outdent unbulleted text (i.e., not in an evernote list, bulleted or numbered). Pressing the Tab key (or Shifht + Tab) will insert some number of elements (non-break spaces).

On the other hand, in a list, Tab and Shift + Tab will indent / outdent the list at that point.

~Jeff

Bump - also need this feature. It's not possible to write an legible hierarchy of information on Mac until this is in place.

Anyway, somewhat pathetic workaround: Create a few layers of indentation using the web client, and sync. You can now copy&paste these around on the mac and modify the text as needed.

This does seem like a fairly obvious enhancement, wonder why EN has not implemented it?

The ability to block indent is very important to me and I haven't found a workaround other than using a Windows machine.

Please, Evernote, please give us this feature.

• Level 5*

What's keeping me from using Evernote as my primary note taking app is that I still can not indent blocks of text. (The windows client I know has had this for a while and now I'm on the 3.0.7 of the Mac beta and still no ability to shift indent.)

A lot of us like to use our note taking apps to paste in code snippets and it's nice to be able to shift blocks of text around to make it more readable. (I can do this with my other note taking solutions.)

Is there anyway for me to find out if this is on the roadmap at all for the Mac Evernote client? (Currently I'm still trying to keep versions of my text notes in Evernote just in case it comes along, but it's tedious, and I'm starting to give up hope on seeing it.)

hi. i merged your topic into this one that already exists.

in answer to your question, evernote does not share their roadmap with us. they are trying to maintain parity across devices, other platforms have indentation, so i think we can expect it to come someday.

What's keeping me from using Evernote as my primary note taking app is that I still can not indent blocks of text. (The windows client I know has had this for a while and now I'm on the 3.0.7 of the Mac beta and still no ability to shift indent.)

A lot of us like to use our note taking apps to paste in code snippets and it's nice to be able to shift blocks of text around to make it more readable. (I can do this with my other note taking solutions.)

Is there anyway for me to find out if this is on the roadmap at all for the Mac Evernote client? (Currently I'm still trying to keep versions of my text notes in Evernote just in case it comes along, but it's tedious, and I'm starting to give up hope on seeing it.)

I'll add my voice too.

Being HTML is not a great excuse. I can think of a few different ways to indent:

1. Use CSS (or even a local style) to add a longer left margin.
  2. Place the text into an LI, with list-style-list-indicator=None, and use list depth for indent depth. The text is (I'll assume) in a DIV or P tag.
  3. Add a table with no borders, and a blank leftmost cell for each indent depth, and the text paragraph in a rightmost cell.

That was 3 in just 3 minutes thought - this is not that hard in terms of output - and in terms of the data model, perhaps having a CSS class "indent-level1" to N would make it easy. of course - I should be able to assume that it is in the data model already since the windows client works, and that I can paste web pages straight in.

I wander if you can copy, paste into another app, indent/dedent there and paste back?

On the Windows client we use <blockquote> which isn't bad but isn't as robust as I'd like, but we haven't seen forum complaints about that lately. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions on coding.

I cannot understand how such a basic functionality is still missing... Instead they keep pumping "fancy" new features into the Mac Client. This is really frustrating. Especially for a paying premium user :-(

I really don't understand why it has taken, and still seems to take, so long to bring this simple feature to the Mac client.

From what I've read here on the forum, the issue doesn't seem to be that it takes a while to implement, but instead that Evernote (so far, at least) is uninterested in implementing it.

+1 (x10)

Indentation is the number one missing feature for me - and has been that for years. I really don't understand why it has taken, and still seems to take, so long to bring this simple feature to the Mac client.

(There are still some quirks when copy/pasting bulleted lists for further editing on the Mac, which causes problems and delays my note-taking, but this behavior has improved a lot since the early days).

+1 for me on this. I use the EN Mac Client a ton and use iPhone/Windows Phone and iPad for look ups and quick edits.

Block indentation without bullets would be a HUGE plus for me! :) It won't stop me from using EN, but it would make it a ton better from a workflow perspective.

If I can offer a suggestion to the folks working on the Use Case and design documents: please use the "CMD + ]" and "CMD + [" keyboard shortcuts like Apple's Mail program does, it would offer an immediate and intuitive way for current users to start to leverage this feature.

Thanks,

Shawn

I am also tracking the addition of block Indentation in the Mac version of Evernote. I use Evernote on multiple platforms and routinely use the indent feature. Please consider figuring out how to incorporate this feature in the Mac version. From my perspective this is the only real blemish on a very fine product.

Hello -- I just got Evernote today and love it on the whole, but the absence of block-level indenting in the Mac client is distressing and inconvenient. I've noticed that you've implented it in the iPad version -- very useful, thank you! Just casting another vote to add the feature to the next release of the Mac OSX client as well.

• Level 5*

Evernote usually doesn't reveal their roadmaps, at least as far as timeframes go; sometimes you'll get an indication that a particular item is on their wish list, but that's about as specific as they typically get.

Archived