(Archived) Why is search text illegible?

ehmlco

Idea

Check out the following search screenshot:

Evenote-search.gif

You'll note that I'm searching for the words "other factors", and that those terms are hilited in the selected document.

All in all, it's a great feature... except that the text in the document itself is darkened so much it's practically illegible. Why is it that Evernote makes the one or two words I already know bright and readable, but screens everything else back to the point that I'm totally unable to determine if THIS document is the one I'm trying to find???

Seems backwards, somehow, doesn't it?

Now you can click into the document to remove the hiliting. But then you have to click back to the list for the next document, and then click into the text again, and then back to the list, and then back to the text, and...

Here's an idea: How about REVERSING the hilite mode, so I can actually see the friggin' document!!!!!!! Make the search terms dark (or, perhaps, use the SYSTEM HILITE COLOR), and leave the rest of the text alone so I can actually read it.

Please?

7 replies to this idea

Here's an idea: How about REVERSING the hilite mode, so I can actually see the friggin' document!!!!!!! Make the search terms dark (or, perhaps, use the SYSTEM HILITE COLOR), and leave the rest of the text alone so I can actually read it.

Please?

Please! :-)

++support

• Level 5*
Ironic given that earlier this week, there was a big brouhaha in the Windows section b/c they want the Windows version to do exactly this.

What? How did I miss that? I am usually on the scene for those. Anyhow, earlier in the version4 beta process that highlighting technique was used, and the justification was that's how they do it on the Mac, and consistency was desired. I think it got voted off that particular island, however (I didn't care for it, myself).

~Jeff

Ironic given that earlier this week, there was a big brouhaha in the Windows section b/c they want the Windows version to do exactly this.

What? How did I miss that? I am usually on the scene for those. Anyhow, earlier in the version4 beta process that highlighting technique was used, and the justification was that's how they do it on the Mac, and consistency was desired. I think it got voted off that particular island, however (I didn't care for it, myself).

~Jeff

Jeff, you're absolutely right! I'd forgotten about that! Thread is here.

To clarify, the earlier EN4 version that got voted off seemed to be pertaining to all searches. Last week's brouhaha was they wanted the search function to match the way it works on the Mac in PDFs & the way the video on the EN website shows. Claims of intentionally misleading users were even bantered about. The video has since been changed to clarify it's Mac only.

• Level 5

Claims of intentionally misleading users were even bantered about. The video has since been changed to clarify it's Mac only.

It was not intentional, but it is was misleading.

Evernote agreed and made the necessary changes, thanks to the "brouhaha".

Archived