(Archived) Chrome handling of PDFs and saving to EN

terra72

Idea

I use Evernote for professional research where I have to handle a lot of PDF documents (reports, papers, presentations etc). After switching to Chrome recently for unrelated reasons, I've encountered a problem with how it handles PDFs/Evernote. I've trawled the forum for an answer but I haven't been able to find an exact match.

When I open a PDF in Chrome (using the Chrome PDF Viewer plug-in), I'm unable to save this PDF to Evernote. Sometimes the print-to-PDF-save-to-Evernote trick works but more often than not it's a poor fix (wrong orientation or printing doesn't work).

The only reliable alternative is to turn off the Chrome PDF Viewer, save the PDF to the harddrive and then right-click on the file and use "Open With >> Evernote"

Or I could switch back to Safari where this works flawlessly. Chrome is a better browser for me in all other respects. I even like the EN extension as it allows me to clip to EN in one step -- I just wish I could work out how to deal with the PDF.

Is there a neat solution I've missed? If not, is this a temporary problem or a structural issue with Chrome?

Thank you.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
The only reliable alternative is to turn off the Chrome PDF Viewer, save the PDF to the harddrive and then right-click on the file and use "Open With >> Evernote"

Not sure about the tech details of Chrome vs. Evernote, but a simpler workaround might be to define an Evernote import directory, and do your Save As to that directory. At least it saves a step, though you still need to tag it.

~Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion. Not a perfect solution but better than my current setup (if I set the Evernote Import Folder as the default download folder in Chrome, it should be more efficient).

What's the best source on setting up an import folder?

Thanks again jefito for your suggestion but this isn't quite the solution I was looking for.

Any other suggestions? There must be many others who have issues with this limitation on using Chrome with Evernote.

Thanks

Archived