Keep old notes w/o cluttering UI

xjones67

I'd love some kind of built-in 'archive' feature where you can 'Archive' a note and it is no longer visible in the UI unless you choose to 'View Archived Notes'. The purpose is so I don't have to delete, export, or otherwise reorganize notes when they are no longer relevant but I want to keep the info available just in case.

There are a number of different ways to accomplish this:

1) add an 'archived' property to notes such that any notes that have been behave as described above. If you turn off the 'archive' property, the note would appear in it's notebook as normal.

2) move the note to a special 'archive' notebook. this notebook is always around but it's contents are not included in the 'All Notebooks' view.

What I'm doing for now (not ideal) is I created a local notebook called 'Archive' and I move notes into that when I don't want to see them anymore. The primary reason I do that is so I don't see them in the iPhone app which doesn't support notebooks well (another issue).

My work is mostly project based so each notebook is a different project. As I complete the work I add a "ZZ" prefix to the name of the notebook and it drops to the bottom of my list. I keep it there until it is safe to delete it.

Hugh

• Level 5

I use Evernote search the same way I use Google search. People don't complain about large archives in Google. That is why Google is so heavily used. (I just checked and Google has over 14 million search results for Evernote.)

Reading between the lines, I think the problem some Evernote users have is that they dumped lots of data into Evernote, but did not change the create date to reflect the actual date of the document. I'd have difficulty trying to find a specific paper from my college days if hundreds of my college papers had a create date of January 16, 2011. I have a lot of old notes, but because they have the correct create date, they are all listed at the end of the search results, just like Google does.

• Level 5*

I think that about the best that you can do other than having a special Archived notebook is to add an "Archived" tag, and tag notes accordingly. When you want to search your unarchived notes, you just add "-tag:Archived" to your search. Using the "Archived" tag also allows you to focus specifically on archived notes.

~Jeff

FWIW, my work is not project based and the creation date of the notes is not a problem, nor is it the key factor for me that determines a notes relevancy. Search works great when I want to find specific note(s) but when I want to see, at a glance, the notes are most current for me I scan down the notes list. My request is about a way to exclude certain notes that I don't want in the list.

Using tags would be a great solution if only the iPhone app, which I use heavily, allowed me the same flexibility on how a sort, group and filter my notes.

• 4 years later...

+1 This is an important feature to me.   I want to hide notes from search by note or notebook (most important for me) so the default search does not include these items.  I would like to add a switch to search all notes when needed. Built-in Archives would be helpful to many. 

• 1 year later...

+1 I found this thread because I was hoping for this exact feature. I have used the "zz" trick for years in various applications, and the trick of moving archived elements to an archive folder/stack/etc. Those are okay, but still pesky. I think that for me, the click-to-hide-it-style archive feature would make my lifehacking kungfu strong.

Archived