(Archived) Noob questons

drjman

Idea

Sorry if answered elsewhere, didn't see anything.

How would you go about adding duplicate note to multiple (say 2) notebooks? For example: I scan in a receipt for a product and I want it in a "home" notebook for warranty/return issues, but also in "tax" notebook for obvious reasons. Is this superfluous and should I just go tag-crazy instead? I seem to have a problem remembering how I categorized stuff with respect to tags.

Thanks!

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5

How would you go about adding duplicate note to multiple (say 2) notebooks? For example: I scan in a receipt for a product and I want it in a "home" notebook for warranty/return issues, but also in "tax" notebook for obvious reasons. Is this superfluous and should I just go tag-crazy instead? I seem to have a problem remembering how I categorized stuff with respect to tags.

You could export the note and then re-import as a copy - not a lot of fun

Personally, I try to avoid duplicate notes - they end up confusing me - doesn't take much.

I tend to go overboard when it comes to tags, so take this with a grain of salt.

What I would do it put the receipt into the home notebook and tag it.

For tax stuff, I use the following tag format

• govt-Fed
    govt-State
    govt-County
    govt-City

So if this was a big ticket item, I might tag it with both govt-Fed and govt-State.

And if I lived in New York City, I would have to add a 3rd tag for govt-City

Thanks for your quick response.

I guess I'm concerned that I will forget how I tagged something or tag inconsistently. I usually have to store things where I'm likely to look when I can't remember where I put it. Haha. Save me from myself.

• Level 5*

It's not going tag-crazy to apply multiple tags to a note. Tags can work a lot like adjectives in grammar -- they describe a note (or its context). So it makes sense to describe a receipt with "home" and "taxes".

~Jeff

• Level 5
Thanks for your quick response.

I guess I'm concerned that I will forget how I tagged something or tag inconsistently. I usually have to store things where I'm likely to look when I can't remember where I put it. Haha. Save me from myself.

Couple tips on how to tag consistently

1.) When adding a tag to a note, Hit F3 (sorry, don't know what it is in the Mac), and type the first letter. You will see a list of tags that meet the criteria. Move the cursor down and select the correct tag.

2.) Occasionally browse through the list of tags. A misspelled tag will jump out. After you tag the respective note with the correctly-spelled tag, you can delete the wrongly-spelled tag from the list.

3.) The more you rely on tags, the more you will remember. A structured system will also help. For additional info, take a look at:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21393&p=90846&hilit=family#p90846

While we're on tags, sometimes I will try to apply a tag with the same first two (or so letters) as a previously used tag that has those letters capitalized. It seems to auto-capitalize no matter what I want it to do. A little annoying to have to workaround it.

For example: prior tag "AC purchase"

new tag intended: "account"

Autofill text: "ACcount"

Any ideas on that one?

• Level 5
While we're on tags, sometimes I will try to apply a tag with the same first two (or so letters) as a previously used tag that has those letters capitalized. It seems to auto-capitalize no matter what I want it to do. A little annoying to have to workaround it.

For example: prior tag "AC purchase"

new tag intended: "account"

Autofill text: "ACcount"

Any ideas on that one?

I have noticed that as well. I don't know why.

And regarding "inconsistent memory" - The old saying "Practice makes perfect" applies here. Go with a system you are comfortable with.

• Level 5*
Can someone tell me how/why, in what circumstance to use hash tags (#) and contexts (@)? I think that's what they are called.

There are no such things as hash tags and context tags in Evernote, at least the types you cite have no intrinsic meaning to Evernote, and really, use of '#' and '@'characters is not explicitly supported in tag names last I knew, though they may work fine anyways. The underscore character, '_' is explicitly allowed, and that's what I use. The only reason to use such tag prefixes is that the tags they prefix will sort higher than alphanumeric characters, which will tend to make them easier to find in the Tag list.

~Jeff

Wow, I'm really learning a lot on this forum.

Can someone tell me how/why, in what circumstance to use hash tags (#) and contexts (@)? I think that's what they are called.

You can use those symbols if you e-mail notes into your account. In the subject line of the e-mail, the @ symbol designates the name of the notebook you want the note to go in, and # indicates a tag. (Both the notebook and the tag must already exist.)

http://www.evernote.com/about/trunk/ite ... ut=default

• Level 5*
You can use those symbols if you e-mail notes into your account. In the subject line of the e-mail, the @ symbol designates the name of the notebook you want the note to go in, and # indicates a tag. (Both the notebook and the tag must already exist.)

http://www.evernote.com/about/trunk/ite ... ut=default

Right. I knew about this usage, but it slipped my mind in context because I don't think of them as tags. Good catch!

~Jeff

Thanks, I didn't mean it perjoratively. Just noted that I tag with everything I can think of today....tomorrow? as I said, inconsistent memory.

I think most of us have been there. I certainly was. But after a while, I realized that the Evernote search is powerful enough that often, tags are not needed b/c you can simply search on the words within the note. I've been using EN heavily for over two years & I still occasionally go through my tag list & think, "I really don't need that tag."

I archive emails in EN. Initially, I would try to tag emails from friends or family. Well, after a while, I realized that was unnecessary b/c normally, when looking up an old email, I either remember who it's from (so I would simply search on their name) or subject matter (search on that.) So I bagged that tag. ("Poet & didn't know it.") I *do* have separate notebooks for emails from work, emails sent by me & emails - all the rest. But I no longer tag any emails.

I try to add any potential search terms (a la " Just noted that I tag with everything I can think of today....tomorrow? as I said, inconsistent memory." and even add misspellings. My standard example is if a note pertains to Jack Schaeffer, I'll add "keywords" of Shaffer & Shafer b/c it's reasonable to assume I will not remember how his name is spelled. Yes, I could (potentially) do three searches, but one is better. This does take some more time up front, to add keywords, but, IMO pays off in the long run.

Another search refiner is "intitle". If I have 300 notes with the word "purple", I can refine that search by including the word "purple" in the title & do a search like this:

intitle:"purple"

Archived