(Archived) [Resolved] After reinstall, cannot open backed up database

Nalco

So I reformatted my Win XP computer, and reinstalled the latest version of Evernote (4.1.0.3431).

The previous version I was running before the format was 4.0.2.3162. --- I am guessing this based of the latest log files I have in my backup folder.

I had a backup of the folder I was storing my database in, and tried to point Evernote to it in tools "Evernote Local Files". Problem is, none of my notes opened up.

I can use the links to open the database folder and see all my files in it, but the notes are not opening in Evernote.

Inside my databases folder, I have the following:

Folder: Attachments

Folder: Dict

Folder: Logs

Folder: Updates

xxx.exb

xxx.exb.bak

xxx.exb.thumbnails

I can see all my log files dating back to February, and have two exe's in the update folder.

Everything seems to be there, I just cannot see my notes.

Any ideas??

Well, 30 mins after posting, I seem to have solved my problem.

I did something I should have tried before posting, but oh well, all is good now.

How I did it:

Shut down Evernote, deleted my entire Database folder, and copied it back over from my NAS.

Started Evernote, and it prompted me right away to import my database.

That's it.

Maybe it got corrupted somehow on the first copy or something, dunno.

Anyway, thanks!

• Level 5

It's always nice to solve the problem by yourself.

Couple tips:

1.) The xxx.exb is the big enchilada. That is where all your notes are stored.

2.) To find it quickly, use >Tools, >Options, then click on "Open Database folder"

Besides my normal off-site backup, I copy my .exb file to a separate local folder just to be on the safe side.

• 2 years later...

Or you can just go Start-> Run Program -> regedit

Search for evernote, remove all registery only Evernote Folder at the left side

This will think that computer that Evernote is just installed.

Atleast this worked for me, which was requires sinces i could note open Evernote otherwise

Or you can just go Start-> Run Program -> regedit

Search for evernote, remove all registery only Evernote Folder at the left side

This will think that computer that Evernote is just installed.

Atleast this worked for me, which was requires sinces i could note open Evernote otherwise

I would add that editing the registry should only be done as a last resort (since it's normally not needed in order to restore from a prior EN database) and should only be done by those who are comfortable doing it b/c changing it incorrectly can really muck up your computer.

If one needs to restore from a prior database whether it's due to a hard drive crash or upgrading/moving to a new or another computer, please search the board on backup & restore.  It's very easy to restore/revert to a prior EN database (exb file) & I've done it many, many times.  It's essentially copying & pasting the exb file. 

I am a somewhat advanced computer user, having played with Regedit in the past with both positive and negative results.

Yes, messing around in Regedit is dangerous when one don't know what they are dealing with, this i acknowledge

After i updated to Evernote 4, i could open Evernote, but the "cant find the database" error came up.

After clicking that away i could send a report to the developers and then it quit

I stored my database on a USB stick, which was assigned to the P:\Documents\Privet\Evernote\Database\username.exb, but later i got another letter assigned to D: etc.

So i try to trick the program by assigning letter P: to the letter D:, but that only get me another, but different error.

So after removing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote, re start Evernote, which then reacts as a newly Installed program, which works for me

Hindsight, yes i could try more research and/or uninstall&reinstall or other techniques

Archived