(Archived) Direct download vs. Mac App Store

macbitz

Idea

I've got a premium account and am using Evernote 2.0 on the Mac amongst other things. I see Evernote 2.0.1 is in the new Mac App Store which throws up a few questions:

- Should users who have downloaded and installed Evernote directly from the Evernote website now switch to the Mac App Store version?

- Will both methods of installing/updating the app continue to be supported on the Mac?

- If you install the Mac App Store version and you already have the downloaded version - what happens? Does it just upgrade and then you get future updates from the App Store?

Many thanks for a great product!

12 replies to this idea

I've got a premium account and am using Evernote 2.0 on the Mac amongst other things. I see Evernote 2.0.1 is in the new Mac App Store which throws up a few questions:

- If you install the Mac App Store version and you already have the downloaded version - what happens? Does it just upgrade and then you get future updates from the App Store?

I was worried about this too, but due to the lack of news about it from the devs, I decided to just go to the App Store and install it. The normally downloaded Evernote disappeared and got replaced by the App Store Evernote. No problem with all my notes etc.

Have found an answer to my original question - Evernote say "If you already have Evernote installed - We recommend sticking with your installed Evernote version for now." They also go on to say "As always, we will continue to have a version for download on our site for those that like getting their software the old-fashioned way." which is good news.

As for the features of the two versions it seems there's very minor differences (a couple of things have been omitted from the App Store version to comply with Apple rules by the sound of it).

From the EN blog:

In order to comply with Apple’s rules, there are three slight difference between the version of Evernote available from our site and the one available in the App Store:

* Install the Safari Web Clipper by clicking the option in Preferences > Clipping

* The global Print to PDF menu will currently not include Evernote as a destination

* There is no option to join the Evernote Beta track

The advantages that the App Store offers are: much easier installation and easier updating. Otherwise, the apps are identical. As always, we will continue to have a version for download on our site for those that like getting their software the old-fashioned way.

• Level 5*

I was wondering whether these three differences still apply. I read switching between both apps is difficult so I'd rather not try :)

Hi. I don't keep up with the differences in each iteration, but switching is very easy, and I would recommend it. Here are instructions.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/16062-uninstalling-everrnote-for-mac-os-x/#entry173494

• Level 5*

I missed this reply, probably no notification :) I was wondering whether these three differences still apply because I'd like to inform people what the differences are (if there are any). Writing a book on Evernote. So that's why I'd rather not switch, because I'd have to switch back and forth :)

I'm sure it changes all of the time, especially as they are on a different release schedule (as far as I can tell). I doubt you'll find many members here using both at once, so I'd recommend installing them on two computers and giving them a try. By the time you are finished with your book, there will surely be changes, and you'll want to take those into account.

Thanks for the reply, notification is working for me now :) I'm sure there are differences because the app version might not be able to follow the beta track. But I'm talking about these three differences only:

* Install the Safari Web Clipper by clicking the option in Preferences > Clipping

* The global Print to PDF menu will currently not include Evernote as a destination

* There is no option to join the Evernote Beta track

For what it's worth I just assumed the three differences are still applicable as there is a KB-article explaining why the web clipper wasn't installed by using the Mac App Store version and because Evernote is pointing to a dmg instead of the Mac App Store version itself.

I explained in our book the main difference is the ability to join the beta track. One can work around the other two differences by installing the web clipper manually and by using the AppleScript that adds an alias in a folder to add "Save PDF to Evernote" as a printing option.

Archived