(Archived) Error message: Communication failure.

crzacrza

Idea

Evernote used to work on my MacBook Pro three weeks ago but stopped syncing (Synchronization failure). Today I completely uninstalled Evernote using in application called AppZapper.

I just installed a fresh copy of Evernote for Mac today and tried signing in for the first time.

When trying to sign in for the first time I continue to receive this message:

Communication failure.

Login failed because of an error communicating with the Evernote servers. Please try again later.

I verified that I am connected to the internet and I also turned off the firewall. I have tried two different wireless connections and get the same result.

I currently use this account on another Mac and Blackberry.

20 replies to this idea

Looks like we got a log in 168472, and you received a solution there... and also one in 168599, and there is a solution there.

Try first the solution in 168472, then the one in 168599 (for Mac).

For iPhone, try what is suggested in 168024.

andrimont,

I still think there may be some issue with email delivery on your side. The server issues that we have been experiencing have been completely separate from anything having to do with our ability to send/receive email from our Support system.

It appears that you're using some sort of email forwarder (and at one point you mentioned gmail, but I've never seen a gmail address on anything you submitted) - I would check to make sure that is functioning properly.

I would be happy to help test by sending emails from our system to different addresses other than the *i.com and &p addresses.

Success!

Yes indeed Heather, thank you for your help.

With these information I could change the account on a computer in the Network. And this computer could finally access to one of the folders that are shared. But in fact there is 6 folders shared but only one is seen…

Therefore, I still have questions :

Why at first place I couldn't receive any mails from the support except the initial automated answers : I've got none of the answers after I sent the logs. But my mail works fine : I receive all your direct mails Heather. And it's not in the spam.

Another thing that goes in the same way :

I tried to share a set of 6 folders of note. To do that I used the system on Evernote where I wrote the email to advice that there is a share folder.

This mail never arrived (yet).

Is this link to all the trouble I do encounter ?

To use this forum is for me the ONLY way to answer or help from Evernote…

Andrimont,

I am completely at a loss.

I honestly do not know what else to do.

We have asked you, politely, to stop opening additional cases that keep saying the same thing.

I have sent you links to all of the cases, which show *Every* *single* *email* we have sent to you. With the timestamp. From which user. And also every email we have received from you, and when.

We do not like to publish personal information in the forums, because it's personal. However, as you have asked me to do so, here you go:

The Solution From Case 168472

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 02:23:19 -08:00

To: "D***ys"

Subject: Re: (Case 168472) [Premium] Can't use Evernote since days

Hi D****,

Unfortunately the log indicates that there is a problem with the note named:

#01 L'énergie de la lumière

This could have happened for many reasons, and we currently recommend that you copy the information out of the note, delete the note and empty the trash folder. Attempt to resync. If you have further problems please provide us another log for evaluation.

Thanks,

Arish

Evernote Support

The solution from Case 168599

Date:Wed, 05 Jan 2011 06:28:01 -08:00

To:"D***ys"

Subject: Re: (Case 168599) [Premium] Can't use Evernote ever !!!

Mssr. ***ys,

We have personally responded to every request you have submitted to Evernote. (Case 167573, 168023, 168024, 168472, and this one, 168599). Premium members are guaranteed a response within 24 hours on Business days, and you have been responded to within that timeframe.

We have not received any additional responses from you on any of those cases, however, to confirm that you have performed any of the troubleshooting steps that may have been required.

If this is not satisfactory, we would be happy to offer a refund and return you to free status.

For this:

(If you are unable to open Evernote at all, you may skip to step 2.)

If you have some important Local Only or unsynced notes, be sure to read the directions at the end of this email to safeguard your information. Otherwise please try the following:

Please try moving your Evernote database directory so that Evernote will regenerate a new local database by copying your notes back down from the service. To do this:

1. Quit Evernote from the elephant icon in the menu bar.

2. In the finder, open the "Library" folder in your home directory. (This is in the directory with your name, NOT at the top level of your hard drive.)

3. Navigate to "Application Support"

4. Move the "Evernote" folder from that location to a different place (like the desktop)

5. Start Evernote, provide your username and password again if needed

This will synchronize all of your notes from the service and create a new local database.

*If you do have any Local Only notebooks, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

Evernote Support

The solution from Case 168024:

Date:Wed, 05 Jan 2011 00:57:03 -08:00

To:"D***ys"

Subject:Re: (Case 168024) [Premium] Impossible to connect

Hi D***,

We are sorry that you are experiencing problems. First try rebooting the iPhone/iPad/iPod, this generally fixes the problem 5% of the time.

If that fails, please follow the following steps:

1. If you have any "Pending" notes, click the "Pending" tab (iPhone) or go to the "Pending Synchronization" section (iPad). Copy the content of each note to your iPhone Mail program and email them to your Evernote email address. Use the built in iPhone "Screenshot" function to preserve Image Notes to your Camera Roll.

2. Uninstall Evernote from your device.

3. Reboot your device.

4. On a desktop PC/Mac, download the latest version of Evernote via iTunes.

5. Connect your device to your PC/Mac and sync, installing Evernote via iTunes.

Do not restore from a backup as this may simply restore the initial problem to your device, and do not install OTA from the Appstore, as this will leave behind cache files we are attempting to remove.

This tends to solve the problem 90% of the time.

If both of these fail, please let us know so we can explore additional troubleshooting options.

Thank you,

Arish

Evernote Support

I can quite clearly see all of these when clicking on the links I provided you, so I'm not entirely sure where the disconnect is. I am very sorry you are having so much trouble with your email, and your web browser, etc. We do sincerely wish to help you.

One thing to note: while sometimes you can get support or solutions from Evernote staff here in the forums, this is a user forum, and not set up to do general support for users (there are over 6 million of them after all). I think that overall (despite your recent difficulties) you'll be better off going through the actual Evernote support mechanisms. Good luck.

Thank you Jeff, I tried for a tenth time to get an answer from the support. Let's see.

BTW there is about 200.000 Premium users. My trouble come from the feature I needed [!] which is sharing and modifying notes in a group. So it is only related to theses users.

Best.

• Level 5*
I have a suggestion that can help me (and other people) : Why not give the information/solution directly on this forum ?

One thing to note: while sometimes you can get support or solutions from Evernote staff here in the forums, this is a user forum, and not set up to do general support for users (there are over 6 million of them after all). I think that overall (despite your recent difficulties) you'll be better off going through the actual Evernote support mechanisms. Good luck.

~Jeff

It' quite late in Europe.

I will give another try with the support.

I will make sure that if I receive a semi-robotic answer my mail go with the registered email.

I cross finger to have an exchange with EN.

To do it with ET might be easier.

Looks like we got a log in 168472, and you received a solution there... and also one in 168599, and there is a solution there.

Try first the solution in 168472, then the one in 168599 (for Mac).

For iPhone, try what is suggested in 168024.

Have you really see an answer, a hint, a try, a guess, a method or a solution Heather ?…

On the case 168472, I didn't see any answer on my mail. If I go through the link (on bugz.evernote.com) that you sent me, there is no answer as well.

It is the same for the case 168599.

Idem for 168024

I don't see any answer either by mail or bugz.evernote.com for these three cases.

Am I missing something ? Should I register with FogBugz to to see more ?

Shall I

I have a suggestion that can help me (and other people) : Why not give the information/solution directly on this forum ?

We would avoid not received mails. It might be faster. This is not a game. This is not hide and seek. Why is it so difficult to get information or help ?

I would really appreciate not to start next with such a problem (nightmare to honest).

Thank you so much for you help Heather.

andrimont,

I can assure you, you are missing emails passed the auto replies on all of those, and for some reason, you only received one of the emails from 168868.

I've emailed direct Ticket URLs to all of your support cases into your Evernote account, and PMd you with them as well.

They contain the entire thread, with timestamps, of your emails, our emails (and the name of the person who sent the email, or at least whose account it was sent from), etc. I hope this will redeem our Support department's reputation.)

Thank you so much for your care Heather,

In fact I received all theses mails.

But it seems that it is the other way around : it looks like you are not receiving my mails !

As I wrote earlier, I always answered adding the requested logs to all yours mails (from Larry and Arish).

My answers are still in my gmail account… The logs are pretty heavy around 2Mo. I can send them again.

For exemple here's the gmail log :

heure de l'expéditeur Envoyé à 15:42 (GMT+01:00). Heure locale : 15:00. ✆

à Evernote Support

date 5 janvier 2011 15:42

objet Re: (Case 168687) [Premium] HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

envoyé par gmail.com

Can it be link with the crash of the overload servers ? Your spam mail boxe :( ?

Best regards.

andrimont,

I can assure you, you are missing emails passed the auto replies on all of those, and for some reason, you only received one of the emails from 168868.

I've emailed direct Ticket URLs to all of your support cases into your Evernote account, and PMd you with them as well.

They contain the entire thread, with timestamps, of your emails, our emails (and the name of the person who sent the email, or at least whose account it was sent from), etc. I hope this will redeem our Support department's reputation.

It includes the PR request, which was closed as it was also a duplicate. PR does not answer Support requests, they forward them on to Support. But they do not forward on duplicate support requests - especially ones that have already been answered (as you will now hopefully see.)

andrimont,

I see 7 support cases open in our system by you.

All of them were replied to, by real people. Only one of which received a response from you past our initial response, and that was to say that you had not received any of our other responses.

I do notice that the email you filed your support requests from (and to which the automated reply is going) is not the same address that you're replying from with logs - it is a different domain, and therefore our "real person" replies are not going to the same address as the original logs.

I suggest checking your Spam folder, or any alternate email addresses you may have, as our replies may be going there.

However, we are replying to you, and have been all along.

Hello Heather,

it is very nice to have an answer from a real person from Evernote. Really thank you for your concern. I wrote in my several requests that I will give until this friday before stopping my - until now useless - Premium account. With your answer, I will give more time, not to be nice, but just because I need such a service. I had been watching Evernote since year until my decision to use it with my team.

I do know that you had a very busy week, but this case ruin a part of starting week that was important for our little company. This made me and my team loose global confidence into Evernote. This is very surprising after the nice place that was given to Evernote in an even in France with Loic et Geraldine Le Meur. The interview with your CEO Phil Libin was exciting. I know France count only 1% for you… But I am joking and I doubt that this the reason for my trouble.

I did check (again of course) the spam filter, and no there is no answer to my requests nor any help to the difficulties that I encountered trying to use the premium service of Evernote.

It is correct that I answered from an email address from the office. It is different to the one used to register.

I just checked with a test that both can be seen in a gmail account. Both are fine.

Sorry to suggest something to do - I know that you are busy - but if a person from a same premium account is stating and saying and stating and saying and stating and saying that he do not get any answer. May be you could include the email address used to register in your answer. It could even be a security check. How does-it sound ?

Ok let's through all the mail and cases : I have an automated mail box on gmail just for this case with Evernote. So it is very easy.

Monday 3rd

Confirmation Evernote du paiement // opened a Premium account // message in French

Merci d'être passé à Evernote Premium //

Obtenir un support Premium Cliquez sur le lien ci-dessous et remplissez le formulaire. Prenez soin d'y inclure votre nom d'utilisateur. Nous prendrons contact avec vous dès le prochain jour ouvrable.

Tuesday 4th

(Case 167573) [Premium] Impossible to change account on a Mac

It's a robotic answer : This is an automated confirmation that we have received your inquiry.

Re: (Case 167573) [Premium] Impossible to change account on a Mac

We apologize for the inconvenience. Evernote is currently experiencing some communication errors. Our engineers are currently working to fix this problem as quickly as possible.[…] Thanks, Leon Wilde Customer Service Manager Evernote Support

Re: (Case 167573) [Premium] Impossible to change account on a Mac

Hi, Evernote has experienced some temporary communication problems. We believe them to now be resolved.[…] Thank you, Evernote Support Team

(Case 168024) [Premium] Impossible to connect

It's a robotic answer : This is an automated confirmation that we have received your inquiry.

(Case 168023) [Premium] Impossible to connect

Re: (Case 168023) [Premium] Impossible to connect

It's a semi automated answer from Larry asking for the log file

-> I did sent the log file to Evernote Support

Re: (Case 168024) [Premium] Impossible to connect

It's a semi automated answer from Larry

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are working on some communication errors; however, we believe them to be fixed at this time. Are you still having problems? Can you please attempt to recreate the issue you are experiencing, […]

-> I did as Larry asked and sent the log file to Evernote Support

Wednesday 5th

(Case 168472) [Premium] Can't use Evernote since days

Re: (Case 168472) [Premium] Can't use Evernote since days

It's a semi automated answer from Arish asking for the log file

(Case 168599) [Premium] Can't use Evernote ever !!!

Case 168687) [Premium] HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

It's a robotic answer : This is an automated confirmation that we have received your inquiry

Re: (Case 168687) [Premium] HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

It's a semi automated answer from Larry asking for the log file

Case 168868) [Premium] Need to reach a commercial representative

It's a robotic answer : This is an automated confirmation that we have received your inquiry

Re: (Case 168868) [Premium] Need to reach a commercial representative

I am closing this support case as it is merely a duplicate of case 168599, and 168687, which have already been responded to. Please do not keep opening duplicate cases, as we need to keep a coherent thread in which to assist you properly.

Thank you.

That's it ! Thank you very much !

After that I tried to reach the press-relation office. I am journalist.

I just got no answer !…

andrimont,

All of them were replied to, by real people. Only one of which received a response from you past our initial response, and that was to say that you had not received any of our other responses.

I do notice that the email you filed your support requests from (and to which the automated reply is going) is not the same address that you're replying from with logs - it is a different domain, and therefore our "real person" replies are not going to the same address as the original logs.

I suggest checking your Spam folder, or any alternate email addresses you may have, as our replies may be going there.

andrimont,

Thnak you BurgersNFries, this is the first very answer I get. And it is not from Evernote (as you state that you are not affiliated with Evernote) !

I wish that I would just love the product like you. But unfortunatly the problem that Evernote have experienced really

how companies (and people) deal with it that shows their true colors

And the true color is that Evernote failed to really answer paying customers.

Yes on a public announcement EN gave a detailled explanation of the course of the problem. This is really honnest and seems transparent. It's a very good point. But you realize reading the process of the problem that it was totally predictable and due to happened. What could the timing for a break down than just after Xmas & New Year Eve, when people are back to work !

Anyway, in my case I didn't receive yet any answer (except automated) or help.

The only answer was the of Larry on January 4th at 21:46 (GMT-08:00) that I quoted to tell me that evrything was fine.

When I answered back back I had problem in my company, I got nothing…!

No I am very saden by this lack of concern for paying customers.

As I work for a press magazin. I even tried to reach the press office to ask explanation or help. No answer yet as well.

Last Monday, I explain to my employees that will stop using Google Doc for a reliable tool call EN. My employees still wait to see that in use. This made loose face and I am not happy about that.

That you to explain me the process for a refund. If I still get no answer to know how to make it work in our network by tomorrow, I will have to go back to a free account.

It seems that free account get a better service than the premium one.

I don't get the point of offering a fast helping desk for premium users and providing any help.

I guess you mean not providing any help? If so, please read the thread started by Engberg with the subject line "Information about networking problems (updated Jan 5, 1pm) " They have been working on it for two days now. Yes, you can complain that you're supposed to be fixed/helped/whatever but get real. Your complaint is a lot like someone bitching at a mechanic b/c it takes 3 weeks to get your car fixed, when the mechanic had to wait 2 1/2 weeks to receive the part for your car. Or complaining to a vendor b/c it will take a day or two for your refund to show up on your AMEX account. Stuff happens. It's how companies (and people) deal with it that shows their true colors.

BTW, the "fast" help desk (as you referred to it) says premium users will receive a response within 24 business hours, California time. Heather has stated elsewhere, today, that they have been maintaining this standard. If you feel your support inquiry fell through the cracks, please provide them with your ticket number (that was sent in the auto reply after submitting your support inquiry) and they will follow up. They are very good about that.

Later on January 4th at 21:46 (GMT-08:00), Larry wrote to me that it was fixed :

We apologize for the inconvenience. We are working on some communication errors; however, we believe them to be fixed at this time.

I answered that the troubles were still disturbing the use of evernote. In our team, it became so distractive that it compromised our work. We lost notes on some computers. We are going to go back to Google Docs.

What surprised me the most was to realize that I just got no answer from Evernote.

I give until the end of the week to see if I get eventually an answer, or an explanation, if not some excuses before asking for a refund. I don't get the point of offering a fast helping desk for premium users and providing any help.

Not a good point for a company seeking to preserve our memories…

Archived