(Archived) Feature Request: Styled Text for Note Titles

My subject line pretty much says it all. I'd like to be able to use styled text in the titles of notes, that is, use bold and italic (maybe even colors?) for all or some of the words in a note title.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.

Moshe

• Level 5*

You can certainly use styling on the text that by default makes up the title of the note, i.e., the first line in the note, but that doesn't get shown in the various places where the title appears, e.g. the Title field in the note list. Might be a little messy to implement, as the Title field in the database would likely be where that would live, and so all clients would probably need to be able to interpret the style markings.

~Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually against this, when you are viewing a long list of notes, the styled text would jump out, but I think it would mess up searching. A better solution is to use tags or switch to the thumbnail view. What use cases would you need styled text for? I am all for innovation, but I think it would make the note list look to busy.

However, if your suggesting things like, "unread" notes show up in bold for shared notebooks, I think that would be a good idea.

The best solution would be colored Tags instead of styled titles.

• Level 5*
I'm actually against this, when you are viewing a long list of notes, the styled text would jump out, but I think it would mess up searching.

Why would this mess up searching?

~Jeff

Styled text in note titles might add some visual clutter, but those bothered by it would be free not to use the feature. I'm afraid I don't see how it would mess up searching.

I originally thought of the idea because I'm an editor, and some of my notes relate to books I'm working on. The typographic convention for book titles is to have them in italics and it subtly bugs me when a book title included in a note title is not properly italicized.

Starting from there, it was a natural extension to think that other kinds of typographic styling might provide useful options for signifying some arbitrary characteristic of a particular note.

Although they wouldn't address my particular little quirk regarding unitalicized book titles, I think shanecowherd's suggestion of colored tags and of using bold to indicate unread notes in shared notebooks are both worthy of consideration on their own merits.

Archived