(Archived) Due Dates and Notifications-Are they here? Are they coming?

I read a couple OLD posts about setting due dates on notes and possibly having the ability to receive notifications on notes. Any movement on these critical enhancements? I dumped Things because of this and moved to Evernote because of the ipad, mac, iphone syncing, but hoping to have due dates and notifications soon. Please inform... Thanks.

• Level 5*

I think that I'd characterize due dates and notifications as useful rather than critical, particularly given that Evernote's main purpose is note storage and retrieval, not to be a to-do list. Evernote has a lot to recommend it as-is, but dumping a previous program/workflow hoping that a discussed -- but not announced -- feature would appear may have been a little short-sighted. But I hope that it works out for you -- some folks are using the Created date as an interim Due date.

~Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

It is frequently stated in these discussions that Evernote is NOT a todo organiser, and that is presented as an argument for not prioritising Due Dates or maybe not doing them at all. I'd like to make two comments:

First, I don't really want to use Evernote as a todo list, I just want dates/future dates to be available among all the other tags. The real strength of Evernote for me is the ability to assign notes (which are far more than notes) to multiple sets through tagging so I see this as an enhancement of the tagging system, I could think of other enhancements like having an array of icons for some key tags.

Secondly, all new technology products evolve partly through what users choose to do with them. SMS was not created as a consumer messaging product and if anybody had predicted that mobile phones would become a new kind of pager they would have had strange looks from most experts. The availability of the SMS service and consumers' interest in exploring what they could do with it created a kind of pager on steroids that has transformed our culture. So if Evernote becomes a new kind of todo list for the 21st Century, what's the problem? Actually I think it's far more than that but I still want those due dates.

Meanwhile I'm having fun setting the future creation dates on old notes.

best wishes from Sheffield, UK

First, I don't really want to use Evernote as a todo list, I just want dates/future dates to be available among all the other tags. The real strength of Evernote for me is the ability to assign notes (which are far more than notes) to multiple sets through tagging so I see this as an enhancement of the tagging system, I could think of other enhancements like having an array of icons for some key tags.

Could you elaborate a little about this? I am not sure what you mean by having dates available among tags. What kind of new functionality would this require?

I am just thinking about the best way of adding due dates to my own Evernote client.

So if Evernote becomes a new kind of todo list for the 21st Century, what's the problem?

It's not a problem. It's just that EN has stated that is not the direction they are going. They have no intention of adding in notifications, alarms, etc. If people can adapt EN for their own task/to do list management, that's fine. Many people have developed systems for the GTD philosophy. (Search on GTD, for more info.)

Archived