(Archived) How to move tags up to top level?

mdave

Idea

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5

This is one of the reasons I think Evernote needs to improve it's Tag Management.

Demoting a tag is easy, but promoting it is not nearly as easy.

In Windows (and I believe Apple), drag the child all the way to the top of the tags list and drop it on the "T" Tags icon

If you have a lot of tags and the tag starts with a W, X, Y, or Z; you are in for a lot of scrolling.

Maybe there is an easier solution out there.

In Windows (and I believe Apple), drag the child all the way to the top of the tags list and drop it on the "T" Tags icon

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure what icon to look for. Here's what the Mac panel looks like:

post-26157-131906069037_thumb.jpg

There's no problem promoting until you get to the top level.

• Level 5

I was hoping that Windows and Macs worked the same - sorry for the misdirection.

But we both have the same problem - how to easily promote to the top level.

Here is a screen shot of the "T tags" icon in Windows

post-16734-131906069038_thumb.png

Thank you. Well, I guess I could create one top-level tag and dump everything in that—effectively pushing everything down a level. Then I could use the scroll n drag method you have in Windows.

Before doing that, I'd like to wait from a definite answer that it can't be otherwise done on the Mac.

Because I only have 7 tags and about two items in that particular tag tree (bg nb), I could just recreate them easily enough. Again, I think I'll wait a bit before proceeding.

Well, there is a solution. From tech support:

"Please select the tag and right click on it, you will get the option "move tag to root level" click on it."

Now, that's embarrassing... and alarming. I would swear on a stack of Evernote manuals that option wasn't there before. I'm not kidding. Even when I first tried after receiving the reply from support, I'm sure the option wasn't there until I tried it twice. (That's why we old folks don't have an appreciation for "The Twilight Zone"... That stuff happens all the time.)

Other than my having to acknowledge age-related perception problems, that's great news.

• Level 5
Well, there is a solution. From tech support:

"Please select the tag and right click on it, you will get the option "move tag to root level" click on it."

Now, that's embarrassing... and alarming. I would swear on a stack of Evernote manuals that option wasn't there before. I'm not kidding. Even when I first tried after receiving the reply from support, I'm sure the option wasn't there until I tried it twice. (That's why we old folks don't have an appreciation for "The Twilight Zone"... That stuff happens all the time.)

Other than my having to acknowledge age-related perception problems, that's great news.

I guess this is a MAC only solution.

I tried the right click trick on a child tag and the only options I get are:

• Create Tag in "Parent"
    Rename
    Delete
    Hide Unassigned Tags

There is no option shown to move or promote the existing child tag to the top level. The word "Promote" is not even mentioned in the Evernote Knowledgebase. And Promote is only mentioned in the legal disclaimer mumbo jumbo for the Evernote User Manual.

The only way I have found to promote the tag in Windows is to drag it all the way to the top of the list of tags. And with hundreds of tags, that is a lot of dragging.

Here's the work-around I came up with. It's still a manual process but MUCH faster, especially when 100s of sub-tags are involved!

In my case, I wanted to move all my delicious sub tags to the root level. Needless to say, after all these years, I'd accumulated a 1000+ to move!

I started selecting 50+ at a time (EN didn't like selecting too many at once). I then CAREFULLY dragged upwards eventually able to drop on the "Tags" parent folder. VERY FRUSTRATING and TIME CONSUMING due to all the vertical real-estate I had to drag upwards to get to the "Tags" folder. AND, If I not very careful where I placed the cursor for upward auto scrolling to work, it would "stall" and I'd have to start over!

Finally, the light bulb went off. I renamed the "delicious" parent tag to ".delicious", closed and re-opened EN.

With that one little change, the ".delicious" tag had now "relocated" immediately under the "Tags" root folder. Now I selected multiple sub-tags at a time and effortlessly dropped them onto the "Tags" folder. Rather than taking up to an hour+ the job was completed within 2 minutes!! I then did the same for other parent tags. I don't even want to think how long it would have taken to move my "WordPress" sub-tags ALL the way up the Tags tree!!

Hope the above helps.

• Level 5
Here's the work-around I came up with. It's still a manual process but MUCH faster, especially when 100s of sub-tags are involved!

In my case, I wanted to move all my delicious sub tags to the root level. Needless to say, after all these years, I'd accumulated a 1000+ to move!

I started selecting 50+ at a time (EN didn't like selecting too many at once). I then CAREFULLY dragged upwards eventually able to drop on the "Tags" parent folder. VERY FRUSTRATING and TIME CONSUMING due to all the vertical real-estate I had to drag upwards to get to the "Tags" folder. AND, If I not very careful where I placed the cursor for upward auto scrolling to work, it would "stall" and I'd have to start over!

Finally, the light bulb went off. I renamed the "delicious" parent tag to ".delicious", closed and re-opened EN.

With that one little change, the ".delicious" tag had now "relocated" immediately under the "Tags" root folder. Now I selected multiple sub-tags at a time and effortlessly dropped them onto the "Tags" folder. Rather than taking up to an hour+ the job was completed within 2 minutes!! I then did the same for other parent tags. I don't even want to think how long it would have taken to move my "WordPress" sub-tags ALL the way up the Tags tree!!

Hope the above helps.

That's a great tip for moving a child tag to the parent level. I added it to my Evernote for future reference. Thanks

And it also illustrates why a better tag management system is needed.

I had quite a lot of sub-tags like “starter”, “soup”, “lamb” etc., under a top-level tag called “recipe”. I wanted to move all these sub-tags to the top level.

This is what I did on a Mac:

1. Create a new sub-tag under “recipe” called “recipe2”.
  2. Make sure “All Notebooks” are selected under Notebooks.
  3. Select “recipe” under Tags
  4. Select all notes with “recipe” as a tag (click on any note shown, then Cmd-A)
  5. Drag and drop all selected notes onto new sub-tag “recipe2”
  6. Right-click on top-level tag “recipe”.
  7. Chose “Delete tag”.
  8. On the pop-up menu, select “Delete only ‘recipe’ and keep all sub-tasks”, then click “Delete” button
  9. Voila! All sub-tasks are moved to top-level.
  10. Rename tag “recipe2” to “recipe” by right-clicking on it.

Hope this helps

Archived