(Archived) WebOS 1.3.5 Beta 1

Hey folks -

We've very excited to announce a new beta for your WebOS/Palm mobile device. You can download the latest ipk version here:

http://s.evernote.com/webospreview

This release has loads of fixes and improvements largely driven from feedback we've received on the forum. Please try it out and let us know what you think.

New Features

• [*:1ucj8npu] Notebook filters: within the note list you can constrain the list of notes to a single notebook by tapping on the notebook selector on the top of the card.
    [*:1ucj8npu] List view without thumbnails: switch on/off thumbnails in preferences for list view allowing the search results to load faster
    [*:1ucj8npu] Note editor improvements: Assign a color to text in a note and within the note details on the note editor you can modifies the tags assigned to a note
    [*:1ucj8npu] More note details: the source URL is now visible within the note details visible when you tap on a note
    [*:1ucj8npu] Note list improvements: within the Preferences you can modify the sort order (we added title, in addition to created and updated) as well as toggling between acceding and descending.

Bug Fixes:

• [*:1ucj8npu] Improved display when editing a note
    [*:1ucj8npu] Note details scales to the size of the content
    [*:1ucj8npu] Fixed issue with running out of memory
    [*:1ucj8npu] Improved tag entry
    [*:1ucj8npu] Fixed issue with a card loading up blank

I still do not understand why one can view only thumbnails of images and not open the images themselves. Back when I had an android phone, evernote was my goto app for notetaking. One of the primary ways I used it was to take pictures--say of a recipe or a passage in a book--then later I could open it on my notebook OR my phone and read it. With the WebOS app this has never been possible. Why not? That is the feature that would bring me back to evernote. Until then, not worth much to me.

I had hopes when I went to install this, but alas, no go.

Thanks! I am anxious to see how well this update works. Evernote is an essential tool for all of my smart devices, and I hope the webOS client gets to a stable and fully functional state.

Some folks are having trouble getting your ipk installed. Here is what worked for me (also posted at http://www.PreCentral.net as a comment):

I downloaded the ipk onto a PC, and then sent it via email. Preware is configured to handle ipks in email, so I tapped on the attachment to download it. Nothing happened, but when I tapped on it a second time, Preware fired up and installed it. The help screen still shows 1.3.0, but my Device Info app shows it as 1.3.5.

Haven't done much yet, but it did install!

-Alan

FWIW: I get the following error message when attempting to install the beta:

begin

Nothing Interesting.

download

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current

84 273k 84 230k 0 0 32392 0 0:00:08 0:00:07 0:00:01 42632

100 273k 100 273k 0 0 36005 0 0:00:07 0:00:07 --:--:-- 47495

identify

com.evernote.palm.app.evernote

failed

-1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/webospreview", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1

** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":9, "subscribed":true}

** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":9 , "status":"STARTING" }

** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":9 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }

** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":9 , "status":"VERIFYING" }

** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":9 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }

Any ideas?

Love Evernote, and really appreciate the WebOS app.

Two questions/requests:

Will Evernote for WebOS ever save user name and password for logins, so that this does not have to be re-entered each time I launch a new session?

Also, will the WebOS app add enhanced support for "offline mode" (i.e., downloading local copies of notes, like the PC client does)?

Thanks again for the great dev work!

Love Evernote, and really appreciate the WebOS app.

Two questions/requests:

Will Evernote for WebOS ever save user name and password for logins, so that this does not have to be re-entered each time I launch a new session?

Also, will the WebOS app add enhanced support for "offline mode" (i.e., downloading local copies of notes, like the PC client does)?

Thanks again for the great dev work!

question one - Evernote does remember the user from the last login. If you just close the app and don't logout before then it will start directly into 'list-view'.

Just to confirm MRampolla's statement I too have had this problem, it has been intermittent so maybe this new beta will iron out the problem.

Without "offline mode" Evernote for me is worthless and I want to buy the premium version. I have a couple of locations I go to where I have zero phone signal and no wireless internet access added to which I need access codes from Evernote. Yes I know I could fire it up before I set out but then I have to remember to do it.

Super - installed via the above mentioned email method - and it all works fine.

This beta "fixes" all of my identified shortcomings - except one:

I too would like to have off-line capability - aa least for selected notes - those with info like access codes that I might need when out of reach of network or suitable Wi-Fi. However, being a Verizon customer - that seldom happens so this need is not critical for me, but would be nice.

Thanks for the update to the WebOS app. I've used the beta a bit and haven't had any issues.

The two main features I'm missing are Searching and Encryption Decoding. Being able to access my notes remotely doesn't do me much good if I can't find them or view them.

Please keep the faith in WebOS. Hopefully we'll see some good WebOS products from HP in 2011. I'm not ready to move to Android or iOS, yet.

Thanks,

beans

Thanks for the update to the WebOS app. I've used the beta a bit and haven't had any issues.

The two main features I'm missing are Searching and Encryption Decoding. Being able to access my notes remotely doesn't do me much good if I can't find them or view them.

Please keep the faith in WebOS. Hopefully we'll see some good WebOS products from HP in 2011. I'm not ready to move to Android or iOS, yet.

Thanks,

beans

Hey beans,

welcome to Evernote for webOS. You can search for notes by starting to type if you are in 'list-view' (like in all other lists in webOS).

Encryption/Decryption of notes doesn't work - yet. But all communication with the server is done per 'https'.

Thanks for the improvements! Glad to see development moving forward with Evernote on WebOS.

Two suggestions:

1. Offline access.

2. Quick tag filtering capability. I suggest moving notebook switching to the app pull-down menu and making that drop-down box into a tag filter. I don't know anyone who switches notebooks more than tags. With offline access and fast tag filtering Evernote would be the replacement for the old Palm memo app that everyone is looking for.

I got my Pre now for only some weeks and have just tried Evernote which was recommended in some forum.

It seems a great approach - the major drawbacks of the official app seem to be solved in this beta. Unfortunately, the most important one (mentioned by almost all users here), the offline-mode is still a problem. This forces me to use Evernote only for a small part of my notes: pdfs and images. I hope this will be solved soon. Then, Evernote would an outstanding application, justifying also the 45$ charge.

How long will it probably take to have the new official version of the app available ?

Greetings

totto

Thanks for the improvements! Glad to see development moving forward with Evernote on WebOS.

Two suggestions:

1. Offline access.

2. Quick tag filtering capability. I suggest moving notebook switching to the app pull-down menu and making that drop-down box into a tag filter. I don't know anyone who switches notebooks more than tags. With offline access and fast tag filtering Evernote would be the replacement for the old Palm memo app that everyone is looking for.

Hey yellowhammer,

thanks for using Evernote. Filtering for tags you can already do with the normal search. Just start typing in 'list view'.

Greetings

Rene

ThanX for the beta. I'm just getting started with Evernote and am pleased that you are paying some attention to webOS, though it would be good to post the beta to the webOS Beta feed so more can participate without jumping through hoops.

A bug and some thoughts:

1. I've experienced my Pre locking up a couple times when my data or Wi-Fi connection is in flux. Evernote will hang and refuse to close. When this happens my phone becomes unresponsive and I have to pull the battery out to re-set. When I say "refuse to close" I mean I try to get Evernote to do something (open a note, search...), and it won't respond in a reasonable amount of time, so I throw the card off the screen to close the app. The card goes away, but the left pull-down menu on the screen still says "Evernote" and I can no longer use my phone for anything, including the power button. If I don't throw the card off the screen other apps continue to function and I can move around on the phone, but Evernote seems to be stuck.

I've not figured out a way to repeat this on demand, but again, I've noticed it when I was in an area of weak data connection, such as my local grocery store. If I launch up Evernote before I go deep into the store and avoid online updates I'm fine, but if I try to do too much while there...S.O.L.

2. I didn't know what the folder icon meant when I was creating my first new note. Is a folder the right icon to represent saving a note? Maybe a check mark or something else would be more recognizable.

3. On-screen controls:

• Why does it say "Recent" at the top of my list view (I'm not sure what that means)? Why do I have to go in to preferences to change my view options and sort order? It would be much more useful if I could get to these settings right on the screen to change the sort parameter and order. Perhaps making the word Recent a button, but then leave the settings in Preferences to control my defaults?
    Additional control of syncing on the main screen and in Preferences would be nice. Perhaps a refresh button on the main screen (maybe by taping the note count in the top right corner), and the ability to set the interval for syncing in preferences?

4. WebOS has great notifications capacity but sometimes it seems apps go a bit overboard with them. Just because you CAN notify doesn't mean I NEED or WANT to be notified. the ability to limit notifications of various types (offline/online mode, pending uploads, sync complete, etc.) might be a nice balance.

5. Tagging a note was a bit of a challenge. Maybe I have too many tags already, but when I tried to type in the tag box on a note EN didn't search my tags and suggest matches for me, so to avoid creating new tags or having to type long tag names I resorted to scrolling down my long list to find the one's I wanted. Searching and suggest in the tag field would be WONDERFUL!

Others have already requested offline mode so I won't add more to that.

All I really want is full desktop client functionality in my pocket. Is that so much to ask for!? :lol:

Seems like a solid beta except for the phone hangs I mentioned. ThanX Again!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for using Evernote. Filtering for tags you can already do with the normal search. Just start typing in 'list view'.

Greetings

Rene

Thanks, yes that does work and is convenient if you don't have many tags. I use a lot of tags, though, and would really like to be able to pick from a drop-down list. Some of the competitor apps on WebOS have this capability, which was standard on the PalmOS handhelds for over a decade.

Thanks again to the developers for improving this app for us.

Archived