How to change line spacing

smprather

Using browser based Evernote:

Just signed up as a new user.  Things were going well up until I created my 4th note and pasted some text into it from a text file.  All indentation was missing, Evernote was automatically stripping all the formatting as I pasted the text.  I created a Word document and pasted the text in there, looked great.  Copied from Word and pasted into Evernote, indentation was ok but everything became double spaced.  Repeated this process, copying the text into various editing programs and then copying from there to Evernote.  I was never able to get the text in Evernote to look like the original text file.

As a brand new user, I am already frustrated with Evernote by the time I created my 4th note.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2014 at 11:35 AM, megsaint said:

But Evernote is not a word processing program. Or even, except in a fairly rudimentary sense, a text editing program. While Evernote has indicated that there may be improvements someday in the text editing functions, right now, you're perhaps be less frustrated typing in a program designed to do what you want. 

Best of luck. 

I hate it when people make excuses for bad design.  EN may not be a word processor,but it is a note taking program.  As such, I should be able to format the notes in the way I want.  Obviously this is a very popular feature, but it has not been addressed.  Why not?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  That's a 2-year old comment you;re taking exception to,  and Evernote has progressed (a bit) in the meantime.  There's lots of alternatives in the various threads on this. 

If you browsed at all you would have found 'Evernote does not comment on developments in progress' in various places.  I doubt they'll come back here to comment...

Oh - and there's:  https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/

On 6/26/2016 at 9:37 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  That's a 2-year old comment you;re taking exception to,  and Evernote has progressed (a bit) in the meantime.  There's lots of alternatives in the various threads on this. 

If you browsed at all you would have found 'Evernote does not comment on developments in progress' in various places.  I doubt they'll come back here to comment...

Oh - and there's:  https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/

Dude.  Your post is unhelpful for the following reasons:

1. You point out the post is two years old.  Yet the problem still exists.  Apparently, so do unhelpful responses.  BTW, I noticed the date when I read the post.  
  2. You say "There's lots of alternatives" and fail to point to a single one.
  3. You provide a link to an article that does not address the issue of how EN handles pasted text.  I don't want to join their beta program, I want to know how to address this problem that EN has had for quite a few years.    

Hopefully, your next post will be more thoughtful and more helpful.

On 6/26/2016 at 0:37 PM, gazumped said:

The blog post indicates they spent 2 years! fixing the underlying framework, and that was 9 months ago.  If anything, you just provided further proof of how horribly slow they are at software development and maintenance.  I encountered this issue on my first day of using Evernote.  Look at how old the first post is for this issue.  It certainly isn't encouraging if such a high visibility bug doesn't get fixed within 5+ years.  Why would you defend such poor performance? It makes you look foolish.

• Level 5*
On 26/06/2016 at 5:37 PM, gazumped said:

Evernote has progressed (a bit) in the meantime

This is a defence?

As to unhelpful - I don't get paid to help you out - in fact I don't get paid by Evernote full stop.  As a 'power' user I've had to read through forum posts,  Google fixes and generally work reasonably  hard to get to a place where I can use Evernote reasonably effectively in my daily activity.  I don't know what you want to do with the app,  and wouldn't presume to tell you how to use it.  Evernote is what it is.  Either it fits in with your needs,  or it don't.  You can find a way to work around its limitations,  or you can try alternatives.  Entirely your choice.

• 6 months later...

It is now the beginning of 2017. The original post was at the end of 2010. In a version 3(?).  We are now in version 6.4.2

When I web clipper (article, simplified or full page)[from FireFox right now], I get a new note on my Web account.  In the Web interface editors, add 3 lines of text at the top to describe why I clipped this article.  The web EN shows single spaced text.

BUG: after sync, the Windows EN client shows the single spaced text UNTIL a carriage return is entered.  Then double spacing takes over as a default that I cannot change.

Try it yourself...  put your cursor on the end of the 2nd of 3 lines and hit return.

Copy the section into a text editor and see the cr/lf at EOF.  One cr/lf now is being displayed double spaced.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Riddle said:

It is now the beginning of 2017. The original post was at the end of 2010. In a version 3(?).  We are now in version 6.4.2

When I web clipper (article, simplified or full page)[from FireFox right now], I get a new note on my Web account.  In the Web interface editors, add 3 lines of text at the top to describe why I clipped this article.  The web EN shows single spaced text.

BUG: after sync, the Windows EN client shows the single spaced text UNTIL a carriage return is entered.  Then double spacing takes over as a default that I cannot change.

Try it yourself...  put your cursor on the end of the 2nd of 3 lines and hit return.

Copy the section into a text editor and see the cr/lf at EOF.  One cr/lf now is being displayed double spaced.

Welcome to the forums! It would help if you could post a link to a specific Web page with which this problem occurs. I clip mostly-text Web pages from time to time, and have not encountered this. But copying and pasting anything HTML into another program can often cause formatting screwiness, in my experience.

Thanks,
1. A specific website with which the problem occurs.  I just did the same steps with Google.com searching for "Evernote line spacing problem".

2. I understand cope/paste could give disconnected html tags. 

I am trying to clip the entire article (which always starts a new note).  Then write at the top in normal text why I clipped this, what to do with it, my thoughts or further research regarding it.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I've not had this issue either,  though I do add notes to clipped pages.  When you type in your comments,  do you use the field in Clipper,  or just click in the note to add lines and start typing?

If you get your double spacing,  can you try right-clicking the text and choose 'simplify formatting' or 'remove formatting' ?

ScreenClip.png

Thanks for the reply.
I Should not have used the word 'remark', because I do not use the 'Add remark' field.  I start writing in the new note.
And I have tried both the simple formatting and remove formatting repeatedly in various order and times, it does nothing.

Was just reading http://evernote.onenotegem.com/document/how-to-batch-change-line-spacing-for-evernote
and see that an EN tool Batch can set line spacing.  Well, isn't that ...   We could change all line spacing in a note.

Note: many old users could change to H1 spacing via the ctrl-1 or cmd-1, but that formatting tool/setting has been removed.

• Level 5*

i think when you start typing in the clip you pick up the formatting of whatever you clipped.  If you use the Add remark option single spaced text and a horizontal rule will be placed at the top of the note.  Doesn't help if you want to remark within the clip though.

34 minutes ago, Riddle said:

Was just reading http://evernote.onenotegem.com/document/how-to-batch-change-line-spacing-for-evernote and see that an EN tool Batch can set line spacing.  Well, isn't that ...   We could change all line spacing in a note.

Thanks for cluing me in about Batch! But I don't want to spend $19 to fix line spacing. :( Oh well. Copy > paste into Notepad > copy > paste into new note still works for stubborn formatting problems.

• Level 5*

Not only do you have to spend $19 to fix line spacing, you also have to downgrade - the site says that it only works for 5.2. I now have 6.4. Is this just a lazy programmer who has not updated his sales page correctly, or is it really "at least 5.2"?

• Level 5*

It really is 5.2 - I paid for the software (which is really quite good) when my version was 5.7 or so and had to step back to 5.2,  install the app,  then re-update to the (then) current version.  I recently updated Batch,  and checked with the developer - who's also pretty responsive - and got told that if I wanted to install new I'd have to do the de-update dance again;  if I had an existing installation it shouldn't be necessary.  Fortunately it wasn't.

I don't know why the requirement exists - I guess they did something to Evernote after that version that creates a problem for the install,  but once it's done,  subsequent updates will just continue the existing settings.  I couldn't get the developer to explain - don't know whether he was reluctant or just not understanding my request.  It's a shame that it's necessary to step so far back,  and these days I'm not sure how safe it would be - the database setup has changed. 

Don't know what running my current database through 5.2 would do.  If I had to do it over I'd be inclined to keep a backup of my database and downgrade / install / re-upgrade,  then overwrite the existing database file with my backup just to make sure nothing was corrupted by the older version.

• 2 months later...

If only it were single-spaced... But it's not single-spaced, that's the problem. Once a note is created, via copy/paste, or via web clipper -- and the double-spacing is there, you cannot get rid of it, cannot change it to single-spaced. Which is ludicrous, 7 years after it was first reported.

Evernote should be ashamed of itself, rolling out new unwanted bells and whistles, new marketing-related rubbish, new products, new versions, whilst ignoring a basic problem like this.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, BrightLights said:

If only it were single-spaced... But it's not single-spaced, that's the problem. Once a note is created, via copy/paste, or via web clipper -- and the double-spacing is there, you cannot get rid of it, cannot change it to single-spaced. Which is ludicrous, 7 years after it was first reported.

Evernote should be ashamed of itself, rolling out new unwanted bells and whistles, new marketing-related rubbish, new products, new versions, whilst ignoring a basic problem like this.

Some stuff is economically feasible to fix,  other stuff isn't.  Very long story short - all the different Evernote clients were designed by separate teams to get the best out of their individual operating systems. Line spacing would have needed at least half a dozen development teams working on it to introduce it across the whole range.  As would tables,  text styles,  better bullets,  indenting,  outlining...  anything that the editor didn't already offer.  And if the new packages then needed more features...

So Evernote rewrote every package to accept a common editor - and then they wrote an editor (CE) module which is the same for all operating systems, and to which they can add new bells and whistles more easily.  AFAIK it took four years at least to get that background work done,  and the last edition of the CE was rolled out late last year.  Once they've figured out any remaining bugs (and probably had a well-deserved nervous breakdown or two) we 'should' see some new features.

But given that the ones I listed above are just the tip of the iceberg as far as everyone's favorite feature is concerned,  line spacing may not be the first thing out of the gate.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Some stuff is economically feasible to fix,  other stuff isn't.  Very long story short - all the different Evernote clients were designed by separate teams to get the best out of their individual operating systems. Line spacing would have needed at least half a dozen development teams working on it to introduce it across the whole range.  As would tables,  text styles,  better bullets,  indenting,  outlining...  anything that the editor didn't already offer.  And if the new packages then needed more features...

So Evernote rewrote every package to accept a common editor - and then they wrote an editor (CE) module which is the same for all operating systems, and to which they can add new bells and whistles more easily.  AFAIK it took four years at least to get that background work done,  and the last edition of the CE was rolled out late last year.  Once they've figured out any remaining bugs (and probably had a well-deserved nervous breakdown or two) we 'should' see some new features.

But given that the ones I listed above are just the tip of the iceberg as far as everyone's favorite feature is concerned,  line spacing may not be the first thing out of the gate.

I don’t know, Gaz... Evernote is the only notes program I have found that has such a problem. And I own 11 different note-taking programs, though only four are presently installed. Why don’t other note-takers encounter the issues you mention?

Thanks!

Jim

• Level 5*

I'll grant you some of that - I can see why Evernote might have taken a while to get their act together and make upgrades to multiple platforms easier (how many of your 11 editors work equally well in iOS/ Android/ Mac/ Windows,  and on phones, tablets and laptops?)

But given that they've had the editor for a while now,  and it's just been a matter of updating each package in one release or another,  I'm disappointed that they didn't have more features ready for release as soon as the new flexibility was generally available.  That's like launching a new games console with only a couple of working games...  oh wait...  That's been done before too.  :mellow:

This is not a bad program, but I think overlooking a line spacing adjustment is not only technically deficient but also Marketing deficient. You have a great start by having a ton of formatting options. You are missing background color and line spacing. Regardless of this being a note taker vs a word processor, I address it as what it is, a great replacement for Google Keep. They should be ashamed of themselves for that product. By having a nice clip app you have put a really nice option into a pretty decent note program. Fix a few more items and you move into another level of technical/marketing greatness.

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5

Welcome to the forums, @Ms. Metaphor! FYI, these are user-to-user forums; while Evernote staff drop in occasionally, it's not a reliable way to communicate with them, unfortunately. But perhaps some of us might be able to offer suggestions, with a little more info. Is this something you've pasted into Evernote from a Website or a document? I gather that you just want to change the spacing from what it is in the pasted text (if that's what's happening) to something else, without removing italics or font settings, etc. Is that it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried. I tried all these suggestions after pasting a really long title into my note and getting megaspaces. Up till now I hand type things, even longer things. That's a real time-waste.  Any other suggestions--I read this whole thread--this is a significant multi-year problem:(

@dcaseyrowe ... I avoid retyping as much as possible, so when I run into problems in Evernote that I can’t fix by fiddling with Evernote options (like simplifying formatting or whatever), then I copy/paste the text into a different program, then copy/paste it back. On my iPad, I use Pages. On my PC, I use Notepad. If the text has formatting I want to preserve, then I use Word. Have you tried something like that?

Occasionally I will paste into GetDiz (like Notepad)....and if I remember the keyboard shortcut for plain text paste - however the line space / formatting issue generally remains very sad...you have Evernote execute miracles grabbing text from webpages / articles and sometimes no matter what you are stuck with non-single line spaces around some text somewhere. They have improved the table formatting options...so maybe (!) linespace options are next :-)....and it even happens in these posts if you note the unintended linespace to the next line!

(Windows user)

On 9/27/2017 at 10:08 AM, Plucky Panda said:

@dcaseyrowe ... I avoid retyping as much as possible, so when I run into problems in Evernote that I can’t fix by fiddling with Evernote options (like simplifying formatting or whatever), then I copy/paste the text into a different program, then copy/paste it back. On my iPad, I use Pages. On my PC, I use Notepad. If the text has formatting I want to preserve, then I use Word. Have you tried something like that?

Thanks. You know... I really love Evernote but because of these time-consuming issues, I'm finding it simpler to... not use it. I've switched a lot of my files out of Evernote. I'm thinking if I've got to use three different programs to get rid of a double space, then I should just use a program that doesn't force me to hack to begin with. Sadly. But I still have collections of web stuff here. Just wish I had everything. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that Evernote doesn't care about anything that the users want fixed. I don't even chime in anymore in the forums because I know that if I can't find a workaround for whatever problem I am having, Evernote isn't “EVER” going to fix it.

I am going to chime in on this topic just to keep the thing fresh, but generally speaking the text editing in Evernote is so buggy and nonsensical that it is the single biggest reason I want to find another app to replace it for the things I use it for.

The line spacing problem was just something I am dealing with today that's completely ridiculous (considering any basic text editor handles editing text 1,000 times better than Evernote in every capacity).

I see that this thread was started in 2012 and that's a long time to be holding your breath waiting for that to happen LMFAO.

After putting up with this for years now as a paying customer, I'm just about done.  Moments ago, I did a search to check in and see if this had been fixed and I was missing something.  I'm not the kind to rant and rail against a small developer, but a company like Evernote disregarding their user base for this long is insulting.  

I am immediatelyy looking up my renewal date and dropping it in my calendar.  If this is not fixed by my renewal date (and by gawd, some useful updates and improvements to the editor, in general) I'm moving on to another solution.  I can't justify the expense when the value has slipped off the table.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, DrunkenCyclist said:

I have found that Evernote doesn't care about anything that the users want fixed. I don't even chime in anymore in the forums because I know that if I can't find a workaround for whatever problem I am having, Evernote isn't “EVER” going to fix it.

5 hours ago, DrunkenCyclist said:

I am going to chime in on this topic just to keep the thing fresh, but generally speaking the text editing in Evernote is so buggy and nonsensical that it is the single biggest reason I want to find another app to replace it for the things I use it for.

The line spacing problem was just something I am dealing with today that's completely ridiculous (considering any basic text editor handles editing text 1,000 times better than Evernote in every capacity).

I see that this thread was started in 2012 and that's a long time to be holding your breath waiting for that to happen LMFAO.

Thank you!! Ultimately, I moved all this to Google. Sadness, because I like the way Evernote groups things. I'll still use Evernote for collecting stuff but I can't really use it for note taking when formatting matters. 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:51 PM, Dannyt said:

to get rid of unwanted double-spaced text: select the text in question, hit the numbering icon, then hit it again to un-number the selection and it will be single spaced.

I tried this but the problem is that timage.png.31d17b2ae236f69d051c49f0426c6b0d.pnghe moment I press ENTER, the line skips two line spaces

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

When I copy from outside sources into a note the line spacing is messed up.  Furthermore, after using the "simplify" or "remove" formatting options are buggy because once you think it's accomplished, the messed up line spacing comes back once you add any formatting of your own.

So, what I do, simplay Ctrl-A to copy all the text just pasted in my note, then cut the text from your note, then Ctrl-Shift-V to get it back into your note without line spacings.

as Noodleworm said the select all - cut - Ctrl-paste works, however it removes all formatting so you are back to scratch - or doing it on sections and then reformatting those sections after to make them match the remainder of the note. Often you lose more than you gain thru this messing around -process :)  The earlier noted workarounds are less of a blunt instrument, although they dont always deliver so we wait for the fix.

• 2 months later...

Ive found a SMALL WORKAROUND to at least give you the result you want.

While in evernote and you have your text with extra spacing that you want to remove the spacing. Mark the parts where you want to remove it, press CTRL+C to copy the same text and then without removing the marking press CTRL+SHIFT+V, instead of CTRL+V. this will replace your current text with and unformated version which you can then change.

• 4 months later...

All too often, when I hit enter after a line it will change the line spacing of the next line from single to 1-1/2 or 2. If I cut and paste something, it will do the same thing where I paste the copied item. 

The line spacing selector, which, IMHO should be for 1, 1-1/2, 2, 2-1/2 and 3, should be to the right of the font option on the editor menu.

Even if U can't get all the other editor issues solved, this one fix would help me alot.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Evernote still pastes giant ugly blank spaces in between bulleted list items, about 90% of the time.  It's a bug...aka something which happens that shouldn't happen, and if Evernote claims otherwise, such a claim is simply lazy.  So, the best way I found to solve this issue is to stop using Evernote and switch to OneNote or Laverna or Mac's native Notes app or literally ANYTHING else, since Evernote obviously never intends to fix this. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, klazmandoo said:

LOL! Almost eight years has passed and still you get ***** cluttered notes because you are not able to do anything about the line spacing.. incredible!

1 hour ago, dcaseyrowe said:

I've all but stopped using Evernote as a result. I use it once in a while to dump research in files, but I needed my notes to be neat, so I moved elsewhere. 

51 minutes ago, Lord Snow said:

I haven't used Evernote since January 21, 2017.

You're welcome to add your vote to the feature  request linked below

For  my use, I'm not seeing  Evernote as that sort of product.

To those not using Evernote, I  find it odd that you're  posting  in this forum; even reading  posts in this forum.

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're welcome to add your vote ro  the feature  request linked below

For  my use, I'm not seeing  Evernote as that sort of product.

To those not using Evernote, I  find it odd that you're  posting  in this forum; even reading  posts in this forum.

I was following this thread and received an email.

Nothing odd about it.

I have been looking for an Evernote replacement for a long period of time. Do not get me wrong Evernote has great tools, but it has some limitations, like no markdown, online-only requirement in the free version, and two-device limit. Until I found Joplin.

You're welcome to add your vote to the feature  request linked below

Yes, I voted...    

with my wallet.

Moved my notes to OneNote which I should have done few years ago and ended my subscription which still has around 11 months still to go. 

cheers,

Klaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 12:20 PM, klazmandoo said:

Yes, I voted...    

with my wallet.

Moved my notes to OneNote which I should have done few years ago and ended my subscription which still has around 11 months still to go. 

cheers,

Klaz

I am contemplating dumping Evernote due to very limited «editor» (including this) .. but I love the search options (I am using the GTD twich TSW)... 

How is OneNote with searching?? Anybody implemted TSW with OneNote?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I posted text from my word processor into Evernote and Evernote automatically adds double spacing. I can't find a line spacing option so I Googled the issue and found out that this has been a known issue for eight (8) years and no effort has been made to resolve it. Very disappointing. Is a line spacing control really that difficult a feature to add to an editor?

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, andrewanissi said:

Is a line spacing control really that difficult a feature to add to an editor?

Hi.  Probably not,  but the realities of commercial software coding mean that if you're going to reach into your code base and change the way your editor works,  you're not going to do just one upgrade,  but a whole bunch of styles, colours, layouts - just as soon as someone can decide exactly what the total package should include...  and it will take longer, and require more testing...  there's NO such thing as a 'simple change'!

23 hours ago, andrewanissi said:

I posted text from my word processor into Evernote and Evernote automatically adds double spacing. I can't find a line spacing option so I Googled the issue and found out that this has been a known issue for eight (8) years and no effort has been made to resolve it. Very disappointing. Is a line spacing control really that difficult a feature to add to an editor?

Apparently it is. Or else The Powers That Be have decided that adding line spacing is a low priority. Anyway, I like Evernote and have been using it for years, but I recently switched to OneNote. I primarily wanted to have access to my notes from more than 2 devices, which is free with OneNote (or maybe it’s included with the Office subscription I have?), but it’s nice to have line spacing control, too. 

• Level 5
On 12/9/2018 at 12:05 PM, andrewanissi said:

A little more info might help. Which word processor? How was the text formatted there? I assume you tried Paste and Match Style (Ctrl+Shift+V)? There could be something going on in the formatting of the text on the clipboard that is not obvious to the user, for instance, multiple formats copied to the clipboard, and Evernote choosing one format rather than the other. I use a clipboard management program called ClipCache that allows a certain amount of inspection and control, e.g., selecting HTML vs. RTF.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

...  and it will take longer, and require more testing...  there's NO such thing as a 'simple change'!

That might be true, but still, eight years? There must be something much deeper being critically wrong than just some overall UX vamp priorities blocking development.

(I'm not totally sure,  but suspiciously funny thing if it is true: I think to remember that this very comment editor had line spacing control before, and now it doesn't...)

I've subscribed to the topic many years ago and every couple of weeks it brings me another incredulous sigh of amusement. 

• 5 weeks later...

I constantly battle this problem. I think it’s more to do with how hitting return is rendered as a new paragraph straight away, instead of just a new line. (Like in this text window.)

I appreciate this might not be a big concern for maybe over half of the user base. However, drafting texts and papers and trying to copy them into word/pages is a nightmare, and many people have to resort to drafting outside their EN work setup. (I use Notes and OneNote).

A simple solution would be to make these two rendering options selectable within preferences. (Plain text vs html formatting).

I hope after so many years, the community can get a response from EN and help. We stick around for a reason, we love the product. But if the friction of using it continues to increase, other options become more palatable.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, BKR said:

I constantly battle this problem. I think it’s more to do with how hitting return is rendered as a new paragraph straight away, instead of just a new line. (Like in this text window.)

I appreciate this might not be a big concern for maybe over half of the user base. However, drafting texts and papers and trying to copy them into word/pages is a nightmare, and many people have to resort to drafting outside their EN work setup. (I use Notes and OneNote).

A simple solution would be to make these two rendering options selectable within preferences. (Plain text vs html formatting).

I hope after so many years, the community can get a response from EN and help. We stick around for a reason, we love the product. But if the friction of using it continues to increase, other options become more palatable.

Not particularly elegant, but I have found a template can be created from a Word document with paragraph enabled, two or three lines is all that is needed.  Copy/paste those lines into a new note to create the template.  As long as text is added before the template lines are removed the paragraph formatting holds.  I guess the paragraph formatting sticks in the ENML.  Just have to be careful should you paste at the very end of the note.

Image of my paragraph template below.  A workaround for sure, but not the worst pending any changes to the EN editor.  FWIW.   

ScreenClip.png.2d6dc834a01b60e90d8d3aa1840b70dc.png

• Level 5
On 1/9/2019 at 4:59 AM, BKR said:

I'm not quite understanding the first paragraph here: "hitting return is rendered as a new paragraph straight away, instead of just a new line." I may be misunderstanding you, because what you describe seems to me to be utterly standard among contemporary word processors and text editors. I learned to hit Return to create a new line on a typewriter in about 1963. Return = "carriage return," which mechanically sent the carriage flying to the right, thus returning it to the starting point of a new line near the left edge of the paper. When I was still teaching and grading papers, I could always tell the students who'd learned to type in the pre-computer era, as I did, because every typed line had a line break / newline at the end of it. But computers introduced automatic word/line wrap, so that new lines were automatically created at the end of each current line, and Enter was only needed and intended to create a new paragraph.

So did I read that right: you want Evernote to create only a new line rather than a paragraph when you hit Enter? What am I missing?

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm not quite understanding the first paragraph here: "hitting return is rendered as a new paragraph straight away, instead of just a new line." I may be misunderstanding you, because what you describe seems to me to be utterly standard among contemporary word processors and text editors.

Could be in paragraph mode enter creates a blank line space (without the line) whereas non-paragraph mode enter just goes to next line, no added vertical space. 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But why?

Existential question?  Got me.

My history is that in "paragraph mode" an enter inserts vertical space not an extra line, just the appearance of an extra line (or however much based upon the app being used).  It's a spacing thing.  EN does not have native "paragraph mode", but it will process it correctly if you import something formatted that way.  No answer to the but why here either.  🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

It is disheartening to see how LONG this has been an issue for so many users of Evernote. EN is a great product with many advantages over OneNote, and I have been a huge fan for years. I'm probably not ready to even THINK about converting hundreds (thousands?) or notes to another platform - YET. But this seems like a very basic feature to this old former Silicon Valley software product manager - especially because it has caused so much inconvenience for so many people. To be clear, here's my summary of the issue as it still stands here in January 2019:

• Notes that are entered from scratch in EN have no spacing issues (but little in the way of explicit spacing OPTIONS either).
  • Notes that are copied and pasted from word processing software - principally, Microsoft Word - end up with additional line spacing that cannot be adjusted or removed.
  • Notes that are captured from the Internet or Outlook using the corresponding add-ins often have additional space at the top of the note and/or additional line spacing - neither of which can be adjusted or removed.

For all of the above issues, the "Simplify Formatting" option does nothing to address them, and the "Remove Formatting" removes EVERYTHING - throwing out the metaphorical "baby with the bath water".

Guys and gals at EN - this ain't rocket science. Here is how you can approach this LONG standing situation:

1. The MINIMUM you should do (MVP) is to make it so that the "Simplify Formatting" option removes ALL spacing. That would allow a motivated user to go through and add spacing to a note "manually" where desired. This isn't ideal, but it's better than the current option - NOTHING.
    • There should never just be a bunch of pointless whitespace at the top of a note. I challenge you to come up with a use case for EN where this would be intended and desirable.
    • This Simplify Formatting enhancement should, at a minimum, remove any extraneous top-space if you think you have a good reason not to just remove it ALWAYS automatically.
  2. The better option is to allow for setting line and paragraph spacing globally for a note so the formatting of a new note could be enhanced and an imported note's formatting overridden.
  3. The best option would be Word-style spacing control throughout a note, where you could change line and paragraph spacing as desired throughout a note.

This doesn't seem to much to ask to help out those of us who have PAID for Evernote for so very long. Thank you.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:43 PM, sbostin said:

make it so that the "Simplify Formatting" option removes ALL spacing. That would allow a motivated user to go through and add spacing to a note "manually" where desired.

YES YES YES!!! EVERNOTE TECHS, PLEASE listen to us and KILL THE AUTOMATIC DOUBLE SPACING / LINE SPACING that occurs constantly when we don't want it. I am always having to copy my stuff out of Evernote, paste it into a Word doc, fix the spacing, paste it back into Evernote... VERY TEDIOUS and even then half the time the spacing still need further adjustment.  Just let us manually remove spacing or kill the double spacing / extra line spacing thing. We don't want to have the program force us to have big gaps between lines of text. 

i just discovered, apparently now we can highlight the text, right click, go "simplify formatting" and it removes all those dumb spaces WITHOUT removing our hyperlinks... at least that's workable. Thank you EN. 

Over eight years later, and I am yet another user looking for a solution to the same problem. I don't want to simplify the formatting and thus remove other formatting I need; I want to change the line spacing, as I can in every other text-based app I use. I have freeware that does this. Why does a product I pay for not have this feature? 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Elisee said:

Why does a product I pay for not have this feature? 

Hi.  The fact that you pay for a service that doesn't offer a specific feature in the first place does not mean they're then obliged to provide features you might then ask for...  or indeed any features that users request.  It's Evernote's product and their choice which (if any) user requests they answer.  Obviously it's frustrating to work around issues like this all the time,  but the fact is that either we live with it or we find a better option.  This isn't even a request thread so despite a couple of pages of comments we don't have a vote count to show Evernote how much support there would be for line spacing - though that wouldn't be introduced on its own;  I imagine they'd add styles and more font choices too in one package - if the editor is altered at all.  Not sure if there is a feature request thread for editor improvements - I'm sure there must be...

Archived