(Archived) (Archived) Add my vote to the request for wildcards in searching

Our search syntax allows you to put an asterisk at the end of any word, so you can search for "apple*" and it will match "apples" and "applesauce".

If you're searching using our UI, it will implicitly add this wildcard to the end of every word unless you put it in quotation marks.

Thanks

Yes, I've seen that work, but I need to be able to search for suffixes, and letter sequences within words. So a search for "?grass", for example, would gather all of the notes that included words such as "grass" and "bluegrass" or a search for "?hero?" could find notes with the words "heroic" and "unheroic" and "antihero" and "heroism" easily.

+1 vote for wildcards

NOTE FOR PEOPLE WRITING IN LANGUAGES WITH ACCENTS (French, Spanish, etc...)

THE DESKTOP will highlight correctly as it is an incremental highlighting

THE WEB, IPHONE, mobile i guess WILL HAVE PROBLEMS WITH HIGHLIGHTING word with accent...

alg (or alg*) will find and show notes correctly

and will highlight "algas" and "alguna" BUT NOT HIGHLIGHTING "algún" unless you search for the WHOLE word.

hesita (or hesita*) will find notes correctly

will highlight "hesitamos" but NOT HIGHLIGHTING "hesitación"

RESUME: Words with accents are highlighted ONLY on the desktop version UNLESS you search typing the whole word (accent included). (so Desktop is the only real helper for foreigners who do not remember if they put an accent or not in their notes, most do not in emails, but do in Word or in Web pages)

Regards

Tom

• 5 years later...

Archived