Changing/Adding tags does not change Update time stamp

CalS

• Level 5
It appears to me that when tags are added or changed to a Note the update time stamp is not changed. By design or needing to be fixed?

The Date and Time info will change for the Evernote "Updated" column (in the Note List). This reflects the most recent change.

The Date and Time stamp will not change in the actual note (in the Note Panel). This is a feature to allow one to document when a specific addition or change is made.

• Level 5*

@jbenson2

Got that. If you edit the note itself the update date/time changes. Modify the tags and the update date/time does not change. Seems inconsistent to me. The state of the note is altered whether it is the note itself or the tags associated with it.

• Level 5
@jbenson2

Got that. If you edit the note itself the update date/time changes. Modify the tags and the update date/time does not change. Seems inconsistent to me. The state of the note is altered whether it is the note itself or the tags associated with it.

"Modify the tags and the update date/time does not change."

I see what you mean. When a new tag is added, the Updated column in the Note List does not change.

Yes, that does seem odd and inconsistent. There probably is a good reason for it not changing. (but I don't know what it is)

• Level 5*

I still think there may be inconsistencies with this one, while we're waiting for Due dates to be added. Due dates should be wholly user controlled, but (in my opinion) Creation date and Modified date ought to be Evernote controlled, and in particular, the note modification date should change if its tags change.

~Jeff

• 2 years later...

Agreed - if a tag is added or deleted, then the updated time stamp should change. It also doesn't change if the note is moved from one notebook to the next. That also seems wrong since there was something about the note that changed (it's location in a notebook).

• Level 5*

Agreed - if a tag is added or deleted, then the updated time stamp should change. It also doesn't change if the note is moved from one notebook to the next. That also seems wrong since there was something about the note that changed (it's location in a notebook).

It's useful not to have the updated date change when  these things change, and the current behavior shouldn't be too surprising. Moving a file to another directory doesn't change the file date either, at least in Windows.

• 9 months later...

Just come across this issue on my Mac. I managed to inadvertently delete a tag whilst editing a batch of notes (an erroneous textexpander triggering did it). Now because of the lack of a change in the updated date I have as far as I can see no way of identifying which notes had that tag. Which is potentially a very big deal.

Just come across this issue on my Mac. I managed to inadvertently delete a tag whilst editing a batch of notes (an erroneous textexpander triggering did it). Now because of the lack of a change in the updated date I have as far as I can see no way of identifying which notes had that tag. Which is potentially a very big deal.

And why it it's important to have backups of your database.

Yes. In so much as I can download my database onto any machine I have a sort of back up even if I manage to destroy a machine. We even have versioning on individual notes. But this has emphasised to me that I need versioning on the whole database as well.

Archived