(Archived) Note cannot be edited from phone??? WHAT?

CatB

Ok, so I just spent a boat load of time creating some lists on my desktop in EN. I syned, left the house, and while on the road, tried to add and also delete some things on those notes and could not. Got this message:

This note cannot be edited. This is a rich text note and can not be edited on your phone. You can either append the changes to this note or create a plain text copy of the note and the original will be moved to the trash.

Isn't the point of having EN available on your phone is that you can make changes/updates from anywhere and all places will sync seamlessly?

Can someone help me out with this??????

Thanks,

Cat

Sorry, thanks for that but honestly, this statement below just brought EN from a 10 to about a 2 as far as programs go!

If you created a text note on the Android, you should be able to edit it on the Android. If the note was created or edited somewhere else so that it contains "rich" formatting (images, headings, etc.), then it can't safely be edited on the plain-text Android editor.

So basically, ANYTHING that I create as far as lists on my desktop cannot be edited when I am out and about and need to make some changes? Honestly, what is the point of having EN available on a mobile device if it is strictly for viewing purposes? That seems like a major (and deal breaking) flaw!

I wouldn't consider this as a major drawback or breaking the deal. If you're using free version then you get the ability to view your notes via mobile and to edit there too! As I quickly checked, if the text os not formatted by anything, edition is not a problem. If you create a rich-text, you can add sth to the note or duplicate it without rich-text - seems pretty far for me as long as there is nothing like office 2007 or 2010 with all options and cool features... (which would be hard i.e. to implement macro via mobile don't you think? :( )

I would love to see text formatting (and especially possibility of inserting todo boxes) but as rich text is not provided by Android I'd like to see this in future releases. There was a thread on this forum about this. Search for rich text editing. As I understood (correct me guys if I'm wrong) it's on the improvements' list

I wouldn't consider this as a major drawback or breaking the deal. If you're using free version then you get the ability to view your notes via mobile and to edit there too! As I quickly checked, if the text os not formatted by anything, edition is not a problem. If you create a rich-text, you can add sth to the note or duplicate it without rich-text - seems pretty far for me as long as there is nothing like office 2007 or 2010 with all options and cool features... (which would be hard i.e. to implement macro via mobile don't you think? :) )

So you CAN edit via mobile? did not understand what this means below (sorry, newbie here!) . Can you explain what this statement below means and what changes I can make when creating notes on my dekstop to make them able to be edited via mobile phone?

" If you create a rich-text, you can add sth to the note or duplicate it without rich-text"

Also, I noticed that you if create checkboxed in a list, those checkboxes appear on your mobile phone but you cannot seem to "check them off" as you move down your (shopping) list. Any way to change that?

And if you cannot avoid creating rich-text notes (I am have Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 on my computer, not sure if that is related to this topic or not), then when editing on your mobile, do you want to choose "Copy" or "Append"?

thanks for the help :)

Cat

Thanks!

It depends on what you mean by editing (I know it's a stupid question but it's essential here). You've got 2 options:

1. If you want to have a change in the text, then you can have it. The cost is it's a copy of your note with a plain text (no possibility for a shopping list) so you do have the previous note from the change and the new one, with previous text cleared from the format and sth newer.

2. You can add plain text to the note which seems like an option (but also not for the shipping list).

In none of these cases, this is text edition that gives 100% of the capabilities of mobile EN but it is sth. Maybe there is some mobile app with to do list that sync with EN? We'd better search it

It depends on what you mean by editing (I know it's a stupid question but it's essential here). You've got 2 options:

1. If you want to have a change in the text, then you can have it. The cost is it's a copy of your note with a plain text (no possibility for a shopping list) so you do have the previous note from the change and the new one, with previous text cleared from the format and sth newer.

2. You can add plain text to the note which seems like an option (but also not for the shipping list).

In none of these cases, this is text edition that gives 100% of the capabilities of mobile EN but it is sth. Maybe there is some mobile app with to do list that sync with EN? We'd better search it

Well, here is one app that does what you mentioned, but only for iPhone (I have a Droid).

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/05/26/egr ... -evernote/

I took one of my notes that I created on my desktop, selected "Copy" (not Append), made the changes I wanted, and the only drawback I found when I pulled up the changed list on my desktop was that all the Bold and Underlining that I had done to make some items stand out was no longer there. Should that be the only real issue I should be seeing with the changed note?

Also, why are some note coming up Rich Text and some not, even though I created all of these notes on my desktop?

Also, why are some note coming up Rich Text and some not, even though I created all of these notes on my desktop?

I'd venture to guess that the note isn't formatted to Rich Text unless you make font changes, add checkboxes etc. If it's just straight text using the default font/size, then it doesn't require rich text formatting.

I'd venture to guess that the note isn't formatted to Rich Text unless you make font changes, add checkboxes etc. If it's just straight text using the default font/size, then it doesn't require rich text formatting.

Hmmm....ok, good to know. Maybe I will just save the Bold and Italics for notes that I will not need to likely edit while on the road????

Would love to see this "flaw" changed though, because otherwise, the program ROCKS!

As a gmail user, what I do with a note or web page that I want to save in EN and I know I will want to edit it down the road, is to 1st copy it to a email in gmail where there is a option to remove formatting or make just text. Then I select all - copy and then paste into EN.

Hope this helps

Personally, at least, I don't have a huge need to do hardcore text formatting on my Android device ... but the checkbox problem is another matter entirely. There's the fact that we can't check and uncheck the boxes, of course -- but its equally frustrating that adding a checkbox to an otherwise plain-text note makes the entire note un-editable. Things like shopping and to-do lists are the types of notes many people are most likely to edit on a mobile device, and the presence of a checkbox makes that impossible.

In the absence of the resources needed to allow full Rich Text formatting on an Android, might the developers be able to figure out some sort of exemption for a plain-text note that also contains checkboxes? Just allowing the text to be edited would help, with the ability to add (and use) checkboxes hopefully to follow.

• Level 5

I am a big user of Evernote and use it for many different things. But there are some issues that can be done better with dedicated software.

For instance, instead of using the checkbox on an Android or iPod Touch, consider the free app called Grocery Gadget

http://grocerygadgets.com/how-grocery-gadgets-work.aspx

Around the house when I use up the last of the mayo, or finish off the bread, I check them from the internal database which adds them to my shopping list (while in the kitchen). In the store, I sort the items according to the aisle layout of the grocery store. (the software learns the sequence from my previous shopping)

I'll still use Evernote for tons of other things, but for custom specialized uses, some of these apps can't be beat.

but the checkbox problem is another matter entirely. There's the fact that we can't check and uncheck the boxes, of course -- but its equally frustrating that adding a checkbox to an otherwise plain-text note makes the entire note un-editable. Things like shopping and to-do lists are the types of notes many people are most likely to edit on a mobile device, and the presence of a checkbox makes that impossible.

My thoughts EXACTLY! Those kinds of lists are mobile-necessary just by their very nature alone....grocery shopping or shopping of any kind where you check things off as you go along....when are you ever near a desktop for that???????

Really surprised that such a sophisticated program would have such a basic flaw.

I'll still use Evernote for tons of other things, but for custom specialized uses, some of these apps can't be beat.

Yep, there are any number of checklist apps for the Android platform, as well ... and they're definitely easier solutions for certain specific tasks.

My shopping-list example might not have been the best one. My specific case involves the research I do as part of my job (I'm a professional historian). Evernote should be perfect for collecting research notes and materials, and I have corresponding lists of the source materials I need to consult when collecting those notes. It would be far easier to have those lists in Evernote, as well, so they could be tied in with the actual research notes ... but the app needs to have at least slightly better checklist capabilities for that to work.

I know of one Android app that has some ability to create independent checklists with a rough link to Evernote. It's called Reqall, and has some nice features, though both the app the the Evernote connection have significant issues. I'd be much happier if the Evernote Android app was just a little bit better at handling lists.

It's easier way, there's an option to clear formatting in Evernote desktop client. You simply clip the page to EN, then clear formatting and you're ready to edit via mobile (without using gmail)

OMGosh ! Thank you. I guess I should read the instruction!

Is it available in 3.5? I can't seem to find it!

I can't tell you now as I'm using now 4.0 version. Try Ctrl+Space it might work. If not then oonly from 4.0...

There's of course one more possibility to clear the format off - copy text, paste to notepad, copy from notepad, paste to EN.

I can't tell you now as I'm using now 4.0 version. Try Ctrl+Space it might work. If not then oonly from 4.0...

There's of course one more possibility to clear the format off - copy text, paste to notepad, copy from notepad, paste to EN.

Sounds tedious...Is this really a tough problem for the developer to solve? I know nothing about this stuff but the core of the issue seems so basic, doesn't it?

Sounds tedious...Is this really a tough problem for the developer to solve? I know nothing about this stuff but the core of the issue seems so basic, doesn't it?
YUP !

I agree - I think I responded or someone else did that there should be a click-able option to remove all extraneous codes from note. That seems to be an easy option so for android users, until they work out the issue about editing notes with rich text no matter how the rich text got there ! ( I was surprised how many times in that a note that I thought was just text turned out to have rich text (I know only because it would be un-editable !))

I can't tell you now as I'm using now 4.0 version. Try Ctrl+Space it might work. If not then only from 4.0...

Yeah !!!! Ctrl-Spcae seems to work ! At least it appeared to work ! Varied on the notes I tried.

RE: notepad - I did that also - but thought that by using/explaining about gmails options - might come across clearer.

Would love to see this "flaw" changed though, because otherwise, the program ROCKS!

You could always make your own integration. That's the story behind Egretlist (only for iOS.)

ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!! :D:lol::lol: Maybe you missed the part where I said I was a complete newbie???? Believe me, you would not want to use anything that I could come up with - your desktop and mobile device might explode! (and that's if I actually knew enough to be dangerous!) :)

• 2 months later...

For anyone still following this: if you want to strip formatting from any text - for evernote, or anything else - try PureText from stevemiller.net. It provides a system tray icon that allows you to remove formatting from whatever is in the clipboard, or an alternate paste key (f10 by default) that pastes with no formatting.

Now that I have contributed - can anyone tell me what the heck "sth" means in some of these messages? :D I did a web search and came up with a whole bunch of meanings, but none of them seem to fit.

Thanks

Dan

Archived