(Archived) Security Pin code feature request

josemh

I would like to request a feature for the mobile app.

It would be great if we could set a security pin code on the mobile apps to be able to access Evernote on mobile devices. Once you log into the account on the mobile device, it will never prompt you for a password unless you explicitly logout. Right now, this is preventing me from using the mobile version since I keep notes that I would like to keep people who 'play' with my phone from looking at them.

Thanks

I'm guessing Evernote's stance on this is the same as it is for iPhone & iPad. You can search the iDevice section on "pin" or "password" to see those threads. It's pretty much the same stance as they have for Windows & Mac clients. In a nutshell, security is left up to the end user.

On my Android phone (Motorola "Droid"), I've configured a screen lock feature that requires a pattern to unlock the device. This protects all of the applications on my device, including the Mail, Calendaring, etc. This provides a much more comprehensive solution than trying to build a PIN lock into every separate application.

Relying on the pin lock at a device level is not sufficient. While this may protect the data from most people, it will not protect from someone you may lend your phone to to play a game or browse the internet, which is a frequent occurance with these types of phones. Someone may want to place sensitive or confidential materials into Evernote and have that protected while still allowing their kids to play games on the phone.

For me, until this happens, I cannot use the application to the full. This is a shame too because Evernote seems to be the most polished online note app for the Android platform.

• Level 5
Relying on the pin lock at a device level is not sufficient. While this may protect the data from most people, it will not protect from someone you may lend your phone to to play a game or browse the internet, which is a frequent occurance with these types of phones. Someone may want to place sensitive or confidential materials into Evernote and have that protected while still allowing their kids to play games on the phone.

For me, until this happens, I cannot use the application to the full. This is a shame too because Evernote seems to be the most polished online note app for the Android platform.

You let people use your personal cell phone to access the internet? :shock:

And you even let your children access the contents of your phone to play games? :?

I think I see the problem.

Fortunately you are aware of the problem and restrict some of your Evernote information.

But as long as you let other people to use your phone in an unsupervised manner, you are facing problems that are not limited just to Evernote.

Someone may want to place sensitive or confidential materials into Evernote and have that protected while still allowing their kids to play games on the phone.

My phone has a lot of contact info, emails, etc. I treat my phone like it's cash or a credit card. I would never hand it over to a child to play games on it b/c the child may end up getting into my emails or contacts & messing something up. Child could also misplace it or break it. There are these other things you can buy in stores. I think they're called "toys."

If you are loaning your phone for others to use they can read/delete your email and uninstall applications. If you do not trust them to A. not snoop on your phone or B. Accidentally open up Evernote and read personal information, then you should probably not lend it out. That said...

Have you tried the encrypted text feature? If you are keeping sensitive data in Evernote then I strongly suggest using this. I just tested this by creating a note on my Desktop client and then synced to phone. I was able to unlock the text easily. You could just use a couple characters, no need for a complex password.

Another option is to try one of the Android apps which will lock applications on your phone. I know there is a app called 'App Lock' which should meet your demands. This will allow you to block access to any application including email and SMS. Good luck and I hope with this information you can use Evernote daily on your Android like I do now!

You let people use your personal cell phone to access the internet? :shock:

And you even let your children access the contents of your phone to play games? :?

I think I see the problem.

I guess you don't have teenage kids? :P Or did you think all those games were targeted at adults? I wish I had that kind of time!

And yes, I do let close friends use my phone on occasion and at times they may have wanted to do a quick search for something on the internet. I don't know why you would find that shocking. :? Isn't the purpose of having the internet on our phone to be connected wherever we are?

What I don't understand is why a simple request for a feature turns into an attack on a person's character. I have done a search on this topic (as suggested above by BurgersNFries) in other areas of this forum and it seems to frequently take this same turn. That is what I find shocking! Nobody has the right to tell me, or anyone else for that matter, how I should use a piece of equipment that I payed for with my hard earned money! If I choose to let my teenage child (who by the way in on the principal's honor-role) play a game on my phone while driving to dinner, that is my prerogative! I just wish that we could keep this on topic and not turn this into an attack on my or anyone else's character!

I apologize for the rant but this just upsets me. And I will have to disagree with you, I don't think you see the problem. I do think you should direct your personal opinions to where they are more appropriate and keep the topics on this forum inline with the intended purpose.

Moving on to more constructive comments.

Have you tried the encrypted text feature? If you are keeping sensitive data in Evernote then I strongly suggest using this. I just tested this by creating a note on my Desktop client and then synced to phone. I was able to unlock the text easily. You could just use a couple characters, no need for a complex password.

Thanks, I did not know about this feature. The only drawback is that the notes are no longer searchable.

Another option is to try one of the Android apps which will lock applications on your phone.

This looks like the best option so far. I will evaluate App Lock and Application Protection to see which one works best.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Level 5

josemh - I assure you my comments were not meant as an attack on your character. Thank you for the additional information. I would recommend you listen to a very interesting and free podcast called "Security Now". It is an eye opening show that explains the real world issues in security.

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

• 1 month later...

www.catch.com offers more reliable (predictable, stable) service than Evernote with pin protection on some of the android clients I used. And is a waaay faster! It has less features than EN but it does what is intended for.

BTW: I am premium user and I had enough problems with EN, can I get my money back (I payed for a whole year)? I know its wasted.

I have about 1000 notes and my android client can not finish syncing... I tried more than a 30 times, reinstalled and same problem. And every time I am trying to recommend EN to my friends I end up looking stupid as there is always a little 'something'. Stock take I organized with EN was a complete disaster...

No offence but I just gave up. I know that now I am going to be burn alive by Burgersnfries.

Best regards

Kaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I also treat my phone like 'cash or 'credit card'. Part of identity theft protection. (even without evernote on it) My concern is 'loosing my phone' or someone stealing it (stealing my purse). With Evernote on it, they would have access to my life. I use encript for passwords and such. I am very impressed with Evernotes explaination of their encription process.

I felt more secure when all my data was on only my hard drive. The only risk was someone breaking into my house and stealing my computer. (or computer hack from internet I suppose) My concern is 'cloud storage'. My info out there floating in space for hackers to find a way in. Evernote has great encription, but hackers dont quit. But I guess my data is 'out there' anyway, having internet.

I've lost so much data off my hard drive, pictures, stuff - over the years. (oops deletes and computers/backup drives going down) When my computer quit recently, I was so thankful to have Evernote sync, so I did not loose my stuff this time. All sync'd in place, not scattered in dozens of backup folders to sift through and piece back together, hoping I had everything.

I wish there was a way to only have certain folders be available on my phone, but everything sync'd for backup protection.

Pinlock is such a pain, after each photo I take, having to pinlock to get back in. It should stay logged in until I close Evernote, or a couple minutes of inactivity. I am so thankful to have found Evernote. Can't expect something to be perfect for every persons needs, we are all so different with different needs and preferences.

One other thing, I wish on my computer 'All Notes' could be set to not show certain folders. Ways to make it harder so if someone did get into my Evernote, a simple keyword would not take them directly to the page of my data I want only for me (such as encripted text) for them to try to open. Also in case I slip and dont encript something.

Hugs to Evernote. A terriffic helper.

Archived