REQUEST: "Format Painter"

nefianna

Idea

• Level 5

Check F4 action in V6 -- it repeats last editing command. If this command was "Font... Ctrl+D", it works like format painter. Note that you can pick the exiting format by using Ctrl+D by re-applying it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, kvitekp said:

Check F4 action in V6 -- it repeats last editing command. If this command was "Font... Ctrl+D", it works like format painter. Note that you can pick the exiting format by using Ctrl+D by re-applying it.

Thanks for the tip. 
It is a step forward BUT it only redo the last command.

If I make a text bold and red and I hit F4 the other text is only red not bold.

So I hope you will add a real format painter to the V6 Beta ;-)
I don't understand why this was not already added in earlier versions.
Every note taking app needs such a function.

• Like 1

I have been a free tier user for several years. But while I harbor some guilt that I'm not a paying user, Evernote really annoys me when it comes to making formatting easy. I accept resorting to workarounds as a free user, but I'll not pay for a service that does not get basic document formatting right. 

My use case: I like to keep some notes in one file (note, sorry)  that I add to periodically. An example, is a running meeting minutes note with a particular customer. Much faster and clearer  for me to scroll back back through a note for older minutes during a call than having to search multiple notes in a notebook. I use different font sizes to make these minutes sections stand out for scrolling purposes. I really miss having a format painter for applying consistent format to sections of content made, often hastily, during a call.

For me, this feature is only needed in browser/desktop views. I'll upgrade to the paid tier if you get this done. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Sergey Gomanyuk said:

Dear Evernote developers, could you please comment, why so needed feature like "format painter" hasn't been implemented till 10 last years?

Hi.  The devs often lurk around here,  but they know better than to get into any arguments that would stop them doing actual coding.  The short answer to your query is that for at least 9 of those 10 years Evernote's edit software wasn't capable of any formatting.  Since the new editor with more features was implemented last year,  the devs have (mostly) been busy re-implementing existing app features rather than adding new ones.  Maybe a painter will come,  maybe not.  We managed up till now...

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Sergey Gomanyuk said:

Dear Evernote developers, could you please comment,

This is a user discussion forum; we rarely see comments from EN developers   
You're welcome to add your vote to the request; the vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion   
There's currently 77 votes

I see "format painter" as more of a word processing feature

On 6/9/2012 at 9:19 AM, luckman212 said:

I don't remember exactly when but I started requesting this type of feature well over a year ago:

http://discussion.ev...6892#entry76892

Not sure why but nobody seemed very interested in the idea -- To this day I think I am one of the few maniacs (as I assume the EN staff would call me) that cares to use >1 font within their notes. I am the type of deranged lunatic who likes to organize, beautify and style my notes consistently so that text stands out and is easy on my eyes when I go back to later recall things. I am just the kind of sicko who likes to click just One time when styling a block of text rather than Eleven.

Apparently we are, with the exception of the few who have +1'd this thread, a minority within the EN user base.

I came here to look for answers on the format painter. Found this magnificent piece of literature that just warmed my heart :D

I agree with every word! Thank you, luckman212 ;)

• Like 1
On 6/2/2021 at 8:12 PM, DTLow said:

This is a user discussion forum; we rarely see comments from EN developers   
You're welcome to add your vote to the request; the vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion   
There's currently 77 votes

I see "format painter" as more of a word processing feature

By saying "I see "format painter" as more of a word processing feature", are you implying that EverNote is not a word processing app? Or did I get the wrong idea? :)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, LauraBKass said:

By saying "I see "format painter" as more of a word processing feature", are you implying that EverNote is not a word processing app? Or did I get the wrong idea? :)

Doesn't it depend on what you want from your 'word processor'?  I don't see that claim anywhere on Evernote's website,  and I prefer to use a little app called Typora for lots of reason including its flexibility in Markdown and HTML - neither of which (AFAIK) appear in a well known competitor called MS Word which does claim to be a word processor.  I use third party apps for lots of specific functions that Evernote doesn't have,  or doesn't do to the degree that I need.  If you desperately need Format Painting,  try another app - unfortunately it's not currently available here...

• Thanks 1