(Archived) Evernote 2.0 Beta 5 for Android

Philip Constantinou

We've publish another auto-update to Evernote 2.0 beta.

Beta 6 included the following changes:

• [*:dd3c55u1]Notes can display ink notes created on Windows
    [*:dd3c55u1]Geo-locations are recorded on notes when the setting is enabled
    [*:dd3c55u1]Improved sort options
    [*:dd3c55u1]Integration with Google Search desktop widget (requires OS 2.1 the latest Google Search widget)
    [*:dd3c55u1]Updated Evernote desktop search widget
    [*:dd3c55u1]You can create Shortcuts to notes or searches and save them to your Android Home screen
    [*:dd3c55u1]Improved icons and graphics
    [*:dd3c55u1]More sync improvements

Download the latest beta now at:

http://s.evernote.com/android2preview

Great additions!

I love the option to put a shortcut to a note on the destkop - exceedingly useful!

Also, the new widget is a LOT more functional. Although ugly as hell :-(

Keep up the wonderful work!

Thanks much for the shortcut to note! Didn't see how to add shortcut to search though. Could shortcuts to Notebooks or Tags be added? And saved views would be really nice: being able to return to a custom view based on tag filter, notebook, display without having to reconfigure that view each time would be a real time saver!

Please add tag filtering where a set of tags can be selected (via a checkbox pop-up like when selecting tags for a note) and only the notes tagged with all will be displayed.

Thanks again! Its awesome to see such progress both on Android and Window clients!

Thanks much for the shortcut to note! Didn't see how to add shortcut to search though. Could shortcuts to Notebooks or Tags be added?

I also was not able to add a shortcut to one of my saved searches from the desktop client either. Hopefully this request and some of his other ones can be implemented in the next version! Great work, this is finally coming together. Now I might actually start using my Evernote Android app daily!

The Application icon is still a bit blurry on hdpi-devices:

screenshot_31.png

Just look at the sharpness on the Dropbox and Gmail icon and compare that to the Evernote icon. I'm not saying that it's like night and day but you can really tell the difference. The rest of the icons in the app are crisp and sharp though. :(

Thanks much for the shortcut to note! Didn't see how to add shortcut to search though. Could shortcuts to Notebooks or Tags be added?

I also was not able to add a shortcut to one of my saved searches from the desktop client either. Hopefully this request and some of his other ones can be implemented in the next version! Great work, this is finally coming together. Now I might actually start using my Evernote Android app daily!

When you're viewing any list of notes (you can get to the list from the search, tags, or notebooks screen), press the menu button on your device. There's an item called "Create Shortcut".

Name the shortcut as you like and it will be added to the desktop.

post-7531-131906068382_thumb.png

When you're viewing any list of notes (you can get to the list from the search, tags, or notebooks screen), press the menu button on your device. There's an item called "Create Shortcut".

Awesome feature! This is the kind of stuff we need. If you can just add the ability to check off checkboxes now, my list wish list of features will be complete!

Ah, bugger... the problem of the disappearing widget when the program is moved to SD card is back. You had solved this in a previous update, but now it's happening again.

I don't think this is a bug - android needs widgets to be on the phone, not the SD card. It does raise the question of whether or not "move to SD" should be allowed, or whether we could have a separately installed widget with no "move to SD card option"...

I'm getting inconsistent results with the location feature.

Sometimes, the note location is not being saved.

I'd suggest testing it, sometimes selecting a custom tag on a new note, sometimes switching notebooks, sometimes making a note quickly or slowly, and see if the location saves.

I never noticed this problem in 1.5.

I don't know if this is a bug or a missing feature, but I still can't search an offline notebook unless I have a data connection. I can open the notebook, open notes, and manually search, but no automated search.

I don't know if this is a bug or a missing feature, but I still can't search an offline notebook unless I have a data connection. I can open the notebook, open notes, and manually search, but no automated search.

You are correct. You need to be online to perform keyword searches. If you perform a search online we'll keep the results around as long as we know they are valid so you can re-execute them offline. But you can't perform a new keyword search offline at this time.

:) You are correct. You need to be online to perform keyword searches. If you perform a search online we'll keep the results around as long as we know they are valid so you can re-execute them offline. But you can't perform a new keyword search offline at this time.

What about searching WITHIN a note ? A local function.

TIA

:) You are correct. You need to be online to perform keyword searches. If you perform a search online we'll keep the results around as long as we know they are valid so you can re-execute them offline. But you can't perform a new keyword search offline at this time.

What about searching WITHIN a note ? A local function.

Or within an offline notebook (or even within just the offline header information of online notes)?

Julie

One feature that I would love to see in Evernote is a better interface for doing checklists. Mobisle Note for Android has a pretty decent interface, and if they just added the ability to move items up and down the list easier it would be perfect. The checklists in notes are a bit clumsy and slow to create in for Evernote's Windows version, and I have not been able to figure out how to do them at all in the Android version. So for now I have Mobisle Notes for checklists and Evernote for everything else...

One feature that I would love to see in Evernote is a better interface for doing checklists. Mobisle Note for Android has a pretty decent interface, and if they just added the ability to move items up and down the list easier it would be perfect. The checklists in notes are a bit clumsy and slow to create in for Evernote's Windows version, and I have not been able to figure out how to do them at all in the Android version. So for now I have Mobisle Notes for checklists and Evernote for everything else...

Yep, I would also like to see checklists supported in Android and improved in the desktop client.

Ah, bugger... the problem of the disappearing widget when the program is moved to SD card is back. You had solved this in a previous update, but now it's happening again.

I don't think this is a bug - android needs widgets to be on the phone, not the SD card. It does raise the question of whether or not "move to SD" should be allowed, or whether we could have a separately installed widget with no "move to SD card option"...

Actually, this was working perfectly in a previous version of the beta, and is fixed in the final release too - so I think it actually was aa bug...

Yep, I would also like to see checklists supported in Android and improved in the desktop client.

I also use Mobsile for checklists. I think this is a feature that has been lacking in evernote. It would be nice to have the ability to check and uncheck boxes with the Android version!!!!!!

Congratulations on the release on EN2.0 for android. It is miles better than the previous market version. I look forward to see new features in upcoming beta loads.

• 10 months later...

Cool! I was about to post this as a suggestion, but decided I should search first in case I was just doing it wrong. I was doing it wrong.

Evernote for Android just became more useful. Again.

Archived