(Archived) How Does the Tag/Child-Tag System Work?

Just started using Evernote actively and was trying to create a working workflow for the tagging feature in Evernote. I stumbled upon the Child-Tag system by accident once when I was dragging a Tag around in Evernote.

How does the tag/child-tag system work? Is the child-tagging system just for aesthetics? Tags under the parent-tag do not show up when you look at "All Notes" in the Parent-Tag.

For example:

(Dots under indicate child tag and child notes.)

• [*:1ehpmq1k]Finance
    [*:1ehpmq1k].....Receipts
    [*:1ehpmq1k]..........Note 1
    [*:1ehpmq1k]..........Note 2
    [*:1ehpmq1k].....PDFs
    [*:1ehpmq1k]..........PDF1
    [*:1ehpmq1k]..........PDF2

Basically the tags (Receipts, PDFs.) are under the parent tag (Finance) and the respective notes (Note 1 and 2 in Receipts, PDF1 and PDF2 in PDFs), and unsorted notes in the Finance parent tag.

When I browse "All Notebooks" in the menupane at the left of Evernote and click on Finance, only unsorted notes within Finance appears. No notes from Receipts and PDFs (Notes 1, 2, PDFs 1, 2) appear.

Shouldn't all the notes from the child-tags appear when you're browsing the parent tag?

Not unless you have also tagged them as Finance.

This scheme might seem a little odd at first, but the flip-side is you can use sub-tags in association with any other tags, at any higher or lower level. This provides for a huge amount of flexibility.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not so sure what "but the flip-side is you can use sub-tags in association with any other tags, at any higher or lower level. This provides for a huge amount of flexibility." in your post meant.

From what I assume in general parent/children tagging systems, things within the children tags would also appear in the parent tag, as the child tag is part of the parent-tag itself, so it encompasses all the notes within the child-tag.

• Level 5*
From what I assume in general parent/children tagging systems, things within the children tags would also appear in the parent tag, as the child tag is part of the parent-tag itself, so it encompasses all the notes within the child-tag.

That's just an assumption on your part. The hierarchy of tags in Evernote is mainly for organization purposes. If you apply a child tag to a note, then any parent tags are not automatically applied; you need to do that yourself. Similarly, filtering on a parent tag does not automatically choose notes that have a child tag; again, you have to make that happen on your own.

It's important to understand that tags just describe notes (like adjectives describe nouns), no matter their place in the tag hierarchy; they do not 'encompass' or contain them. Tags do not have a 'within'; rather a note contains a set of tags, and those tags can be used to select notes that contain or do not contain particular tags.

~Jeff

That would depend upon what apps you're talking about. ACDSee Photo Manager is a well known & not inexpensive application for, well, managing photos. :( It's tagging system functions like EN's does.

• 2 weeks later...

That would depend upon what apps you're talking about. ACDSee Photo Manager is a well known & not inexpensive application for, well, managing photos. :D It's tagging system functions like EN's does.

This system is still ridiculous though and goes against what users expect from the Parent/Child Tag-System. :|

(Dots under indicate child tag and child notes.)

• [*:6pxggutu]Finance
    [*:6pxggutu].....Receipts
    [*:6pxggutu]..........Note 1
    [*:6pxggutu]..........Note 2
    [*:6pxggutu].....PDFs
    [*:6pxggutu]..........PDF1
    [*:6pxggutu]..........PDF2

Sorry to add on this thread by asking something little bit different, but maybe it can help the OP too.

I want to tag my stuff like that too. I was wondering how the child tag works when emailing a note ? I want to be able to send a PDF from a email directly in the right folder (tag).

What is the syntax for that ? There isn't any mention of that on the http://www.evernote.com/about/support/E ... -Guide.pdf, even if i use the 4.0 (no doc yet for 4.0 btw)

EDIT: Nevermind, i did a quick test, you juste have to write all tag to make it work, eg: #Finance #Receipts and it will go directly into the child.

Archived