How do I delete a thumbnail from a note?

• Level 5*

Hi.  You presumably have a URL in the note and that image may be related.  Is there a problem with just leaving it there?  The rules on thumbnails are to do with the 'smallest large  dimension' of an image - it always seems too much hassle to try to manipulate image sizes to create a preferred choice...

• 3 years later...

But what if there is a problem with leaving the thumbnail in place? I've just had a thumbnail mystriously appear on a note that I'd spent some time formatting. The thumbnail was an image I might have clicked on in another app, or possibly on my clipboard while I was trying to get Windows 10 photos to work properly. The thumbnail appeared without me asking and there seems no way of removing it. I had to recreate the note from scratch and relink it from the note it was linked from. This was very tiresome. Why can't we have the ability to see the thumbnail and change or delete it as we wish?

• Level 5*
Just now, andy_smith0 said:

Why can't we have the ability to see the thumbnail and change or delete it as we wish?

Hi.  Because that feature has never existed in Evernote v6 or v10,  would be an integral part of the Edit process,  and thus cost thousands and several months' time to add.

Plus - this thread is 3 years old so it's not like many users are clamoring for the option...

• Level 5
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Because that feature has never existed in Evernote v6 or v10,  would be an integral part of the Edit process,  and thus cost thousands and several months' time to add.

Plus - this thread is 3 years old so it's not like many users are clamoring for the option...

... and would be worth spending the money and time to implement, because what @s2sailor said. The users who want it have simply given up clamoring.

@andy_smith0, the thumbnail feature in Evernote is broken in the way you have experienced, and there is no user-controllable way to make it work better. You've done what you needed to do. Otherwise, the best bet would simply be to wait a few days and see if the thumbnail disappears as mysteriously as it appeared, which it might.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The users who want it have simply given up clamoring.

I'd bet some of them have left anyway.  I get that everyone's 'perfect' world would include a few specific feature tweaks or additions,  but the new team have the same problem the old one had.  Given that you don't have the resources to do them all,  how do you decide which one to do next?  Part of it has to be scheduling.  If you just finished refurbing one part of the backend structure,  any requests to make changes there get added to the pile until they're ready to loop back around again.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to be able to edit the note's image too in the snippets.  And also be able to pick which image shows there, if there is multiple in the note.

The work around is to copy & paste to a NEW note (without that image/link), and it won't appear on the new note.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Jim Schluchter said:

I have two notes with a thumbnail.  I never did anything to put them there and the annoying part is that the thumbnail has nothing to do with the subjject of the note.

If your clipped material includes an image, or links to a web page with an image,  then it may be automatically added to the note.  Basically create a new plain text note and copy the content across and the image should disappear.  Or switch to a view like 'side list' which does not include thumbnails.