Using templates

Hello everyone. I'm trying to find a template that would be used for these things: 

• a template that I can use for organizing electronics files for my computer, iPad, & iPhone
  • I've found a "Indivi Proj" template under the GTD sections of templates, and the features I like is that it has a details sec, which I could put and this would let me know what I've put in this template, and what's the purpose of this template, which is very important for me because I always forget why I've made/created something and then I think to myself that I don't need this anymore, nor will I use it so I end up deleting the file, which always turns out bad!! it also has a reference sec, here I could add things such as the location where I got the file, and how large the file size is. 

In all, I'm trying to find a template that is good for organizing my electronic files and those I have listed above. From what I've said that I liked about it, and what I needed, do you all think this would be a good template to use? Is there another template that I could use that would work better than this one? Please let me know your thoughts!!!

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, sophiebeanzee said:

Hello everyone. I'm trying to find a template that would be used for these things: 

• a template that I can use for organizing electronics files for my computer, iPad, & iPhone
  • I've found a "Indivi Proj" template under the GTD sections of templates, and the features I like is that it has a details sec, which I could put and this would let me know what I've put in this template, and what's the purpose of this template, which is very important for me because I always forget why I've made/created something and then I think to myself that I don't need this anymore, nor will I use it so I end up deleting the file, which always turns out bad!! it also has a reference sec, here I could add things such as the location where I got the file, and how large the file size is. 

In all, I'm trying to find a template that is good for organizing my electronic files and those I have listed above. From what I've said that I liked about it, and what I needed, do you all think this would be a good template to use? Is there another template that I could use that would work better than this one? Please let me know your thoughts!!!

What does organizing your electronic files mean to you?  Assuming no templates available:

1. If you mean a note for each file with salient data then that would probably be best suited by your designing it yourself and creating your own template note. 
  2. If it's summary info about the file you could do it with a table in one note.  Column headings of Date created, Location, File Name, Purpose or the like with a row per file.
  3. You can always add the file to a note in EN and add the data about the file in that note.  Could run into storage limitations as a Basic subscriber though. 

As an aside, depending upon file type I often put notes in the file explaining its purpose and origin.  Typically Excel in my case.

• Thanks 1

Ok this is a good idea. I think what file organization means to me is prob the second thing you said "a summary info" and I was thinking maybe putting little side notes if they were need/necessary to put down. Yea I was going to resort to Excel in a worst case scenario type of thing. I think I might do what you suggest in #2 that sounds like a good idea. Is it possible I could create the chart I made in Excel into a template on EN? I know you can create & save your own templates, but isn't this only available for the upgraded version? At least that's what I gathered from reading the description. Thank you for the helpful suggestions!!

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, sophiebeanzee said:

Yea I was going to resort to Excel in a worst case scenario type of thing. I think I might do what you suggest in #2 that sounds like a good idea. Is it possible I could create the chart I made in Excel into a template on EN?

I didn't mean to imply I would put the file info into Excel, I would put it in EN.  My point was sometimes I add info to the actual file relative to its purpose in life.

Yes you can build the template in Excel and then copy/paste into a note.  You may have to adjust the columns after you have created the note.  Give it a go.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

I'm far lazier than anything here.  I tend to have a notebook for "Tech" which holds all the clips for hints tips and add-ons I've looked at for my devices.  Anything I eventually install gets a tag "installed" (subtle, huh..).  All major tasks and projects get their own notebook.  Definitely not rocket science.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I'm far lazier than anything here.  I tend to have a notebook for "Tech" which holds all the clips for hints tips and add-ons I've looked at for my devices.  Anything I eventually install gets a tag "installed" (subtle, huh..).  All major tasks and projects get their own notebook.  Definitely not rocket science.

I'm very lazy myself haha. But this is the reason why I was looking for a template that would have all this. Does the EN site have a feature suggestion page/forum? I was thinking about suggestion this for a feature. 

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, sophiebeanzee said:

Does the EN site have a feature suggestion page/forum? I was thinking about suggestion this for a feature. 

...What @CalS said.  The Forum has some feature request threads - there isn't one for templates as such,  but you could post in the general feature request area.  Also - if you design your own you could submit it for an example of what might be useful...  maybe. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

...What @CalS said.  The Forum has some feature request threads - there isn't one for templates as such,  but you could post in the general feature request area.  Also - if you design your own you could submit it for an example of what might be useful...  maybe. 

That would be a good idea about designing one and sending it in. The only problem is idk how great my creativity is at the moment my brain seems to be lacking a lot of that. But I will def go to the gen feature request thread. Thank you!

• Like 2