Text Color Custom-Color Retention & CTRL+D Shortcut Weird Behaviour?

When using EN-for-Windows, should I wish to change the color of any text, or in my case add a 'custom color' to the palette for later use, I simply go to the Editing Toolbar, and click the icon as pictured below, or use keyboard shortcut of CTRL+D keyboard shortcut.

image.png.93e48edf951c510a6df14aa7595ab0aa.png 

image.png.9863fc6b4a2781b11549054938c7d970.png

My 1st question/issue:  When I create a custom color on the Text Color palette, EN gets rid of it, the next time I open EN, which I notice happens from day to day, rather than closing and immediately reopening.  Anybody know how to add a custom color to the Text Color palette on the Editing Toolbar that EN will retain??

My 2nd question:  Why when accessing the Text Color editing via keyboard shortcut CTRL+D after first highlighting text I wish to have it's color changed, that...  a) The popup dialogue box is so different   ....and more seriously  b) The custom color, at the bottom of list, weirdly changes to reflect the text I highlighted, rather than display the custom text color I added earlier...very weird!  Notice the dark grey color in my custom colors, and by way of example, look at what happens when I try to apply this to some lines of text, but using CTRL+D shortcut (versus accessing text-color feature from editing toolbar)... the first line is green text I want to apply my custom 'grey' to... the 2nd line is red text, that I also wish to apply the custom color to... but it the pop-up box just changes custom color to the text selected color!!!   Making CTRL+D shortcut, useless for 'Text color'!   ...how could a flaw like that pass through alpha, beta, omega, whatever testing? Screen captures added below.  *Note, EN does not actually get rid of the custom color, It just means I must use the editing toolbar to get to it

image.png.9c251b2657d23d5cfa14753ce29d00e2.png   

image.png.97ee878b65f304ec6476b5a2dddfe568.png

• Level 5*

Agreed that's not good - suggest you report it to Support as a bug.  If you want to save custom colours in the meantime,  maybe create a template note with text in the appropriate colours as a 'reference' ??

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@RavBoy, I'm not sure I completely understand the issues.

1. WRT "When I create a custom color on the Text Color palette, EN gets rid of it, the next time I open EN, which I notice happens from day to day, rather than closing and immediately reopening": Does this mean that you are shutting Evernote down at the end of each day (File > Exit; or turning off the computer), or just hibernating your computer with Evernote still running, and waking the machine up the next day? I can understand EN dropping custom colors when it or the computer is shut down. MS Word, for instance, does the same thing--though it would certainly be nice if they would save the colors. However, it would surprise me if EN lost custom colors without being shut down.
  2. Ctrl+D is the shortcut for the entire font dialog, not just for font color, which explains why it's different. WRT "The custom color, at the bottom of list, weirdly changes to reflect the text I highlighted, rather than display the custom text color I added earlier": To me, this too seems like standard, expected behavior, unless I'm misunderstanding. The dialog picks up the color of the highlighted text, because what other color would it know to start with? If you've created multiple custom colors during the session, how would it know which one you wanted to be displayed?

Apologies if I'm just not getting this.

Edited by Dave-in-Decatur
Correction of numbered list.
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Does this mean that you are shutting Evernote down at the end of each day (File > Exit; or turning off the compute

Hi @Dave-in-Decatur, yeah at the end of the day I simply close EN using the top right 'X' close icon, then shutdown the PC.  I just tried a File>Exit, then seconds later re-opened EN, to find the custom color was dropped from my saved custom colors list.  Ultimately I just want to add a custom color and have it retained, but given your comments about MS Word then perhaps EN does not allow it... not a biggy. thanks for the info

9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Ctrl+D is the shortcut for the entire font dialog, not just for font color, which explains why it's different. 

Cheers, that makes sense, a three for the price of one font dialog deal.  Would be nice, if the CTRL+D shortcut still allowed me the user the same function, of applying or creating a 'custom' color.  But actually the... CTRL+D doesn't allow any use of custom colors...however CTRL+D does allow one to 'apply' one of the existing standard colors!  In my experience keyboard shortcuts provide a different path to the same feature/function but in this case the shortcut is limited...easiest fix in my mind is for EN to simply stop displaying the CTRL+D alternate route to access this feature.

If you really look at it there is an inconsistency when compared with other icons on the editing toolbar.  To 'Bold' Font you can use the icon on the toolbar or CTRL+B... To underline  CTRL+U...to Italicise CTRL+I... and all of these are also accessible via CTRL+D as well, however Text Color appears to be the 'black' sheep in the family...lol...again not a biggy, cheers

• Level 5

I see your point now. I hadn't noticed that the font dialog doesn't provide for creating custom colors, which it seems like it could do. WRT the shortcuts, if you hover over the various options on the editing toolbar, Ctrl+D pops up for font and text size as well as text color, so it's consistent to that extent. Also on the Format menu Ctrl+D is listed for accessing the Font dialog. There actually aren't many dialogs that have their own shortcuts; Tags (Ctrl+Alt+T) may be the only other one.

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Ctrl+D pops up for font and text size as well as text color, so it's consistent to that extent

Hey, yeah I noticed that, and from that side of the coin-perspective, makes sense also.  The inconsistency for me is that Bold & Italics & Underline have a dedicated menu option on the editing toolbar and keyboard shortcut, yet 'Text Color' which also has a dedicated menu option, but NO dedicated shortcut.  Seems to me if someone wants to apply/create a 'Text Color', then all other Font Formatting CTRL+D options are not required.  Ultimately I guess this is for EN designers to debate, but seems to me Text Color needs its own dialog box...esp for the few of fairies out there that like to throw glitter colours on their text...lol

• Like 1