Reduce or Resolve freezing in the Windows program

superphily

Idea

Hi

I have used Evernote for Windows since 2012. I enjoy the program a lot, but I noticed that the program struggles to handle very long notes. I tolerated this performance issue for awhile, but now, for no apparent reason, the Windows program will just freeze up suddenly and start using 97 to 100% of disk usage according to task manager. It goes on and on like this, Not Responding, until I force the program to end process. What gives?? I don't understand why the program behaves that way. I just hope it is a bug that can be patched in a near update. In the meanwhile, I will continue to work using the Web version until the Windows version can work without suddenly deciding to freeze up completely and hog my hard drive indefinitely.

I checked the activity log a few times when this happened, the log does not mention any errors. In fact, it doesn't even seem to acknowledge the freezing or the program crashing.

Please fix this so I can continue to enjoy the Windows program! I even tried using a slightly older version of Evernote for Windows, and the problem happened again.

• Like 1

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Currently the probably best solution is to get yourself a SSD instead of a turning disk drive (HDD) as System disk, and install EN there. Prices for an internal 500GB SATA-SSD are appr. 60€/$?. Even 1 TB-SSDs are available for close to 100 €/$?

For me it is NOT satisfactory that EN seems to run smoothly on a SSD only. It should work on a HDD as well, but it seems a SSD solves performance problems. What is good: Any computer still using a HDD as main disk drive will vastly benefit from being retrofitted with a fast SSD. The relatively small investment will prolong the usage of even older,  or so powerful PCs by years. My 8 year old desktop still feels fresh and reactive, running on a 500GB SSD as C:-Drive. So in the end it probably means saving money by the retrofit.

True, in the future if I have laptop issues I will consider an SSD. I am just hoping the Evernote staff will see this and fix anything causing the problem within their software. All my other programs run fine on my computer, I ran SMART on my hdd and it all came back fine, so I figure something in the program coding ultimately caused this in the first place.

My current solution was force the program to completely rebuild my Database.

• Level 5

If it solved your issue, everything is o.k.

About the software development I doubt it will be anything done for the improvement of HDD performance. SSDs are becoming the standard for personal computers, both laptop and desktop. The performance push is too significant. Turning disks drives are more and more moving to data center usage. So if anything is done that will improve HDD performance, it will probably be a side effect of other changes. I would not count on it.

• Like 1

I have the same problem and I'm at the end of my rope with Evernote Business.  I love everything about Evernote except I can no longer deal with "Not Responding".  I've tried almost every suggestion on this forum and from Evernote support on my account and my employees accounts.  I've bought brand new, high end computers with ssd's, high memory and I still have the problem.  I'm holding out hope that Evernote's restructuring of the data will fix it but I can't wait much longer.  I sent a support request to see if my company's data had been migrated yet.  I've been a customer since around 2012.  I want to be a customer for much, much longer.  PLEASE HELP EVERNOTE!!!!

3 hours ago, Csterwerf said:

I have the same problem and I'm at the end of my rope with Evernote Business.  I love everything about Evernote except I can no longer deal with "Not Responding".  I've tried almost every suggestion on this forum and from Evernote support on my account and my employees accounts.  I've bought brand new, high end computers with ssd's, high memory and I still have the problem.  I'm holding out hope that Evernote's restructuring of the data will fix it but I can't wait much longer.  I sent a support request to see if my company's data had been migrated yet.  I've been a customer since around 2012.  I want to be a customer for much, much longer.  PLEASE HELP EVERNOTE!!!!

You would be better off using chat support, where you can talk to evernote employees, lol

On 6/5/2020 at 7:07 PM, superphily said:

You would be better off using chat support, where you can talk to evernote employees, lol

Thanks for the advice.  I've done that many times without success. If it were only that easy.  

• Like 1