Please add a 'Copy to clipboard' option

Narnk

Idea

Since clipping an article to an existing note is not possible, please add a 'Copy to clipboard' option to the web clipper. Such an option will help users to copy the clipped content to an existing note easily.

Web clipper.jpg

• Like 2

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  In most OS's it's already possible to copy some or all of a page to the clipboard and then into an existing note; although if you do that with two HTML clips,  the formatting will usually react badly - which is possibly why Evernote don;t,  and maybe can't, paste one clip into another.  Worst case - you can use screen shots rather than clips,  or clip the content into separate notes and merge them later,  or link them with titles, tags or Table of Contents notes into one narrative.  Some ingenuity may be required,  but it is possible to capture pretty much anything you require - just not wholly with Clipper.

On 5/26/2020 at 12:20 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  In most OS's it's already possible to copy some or all of a page to the clipboard and then into an existing note; although if you do that with two HTML clips,  the formatting will usually react badly - which is possibly why Evernote don;t,  and maybe can't, paste one clip into another.  

Worst case - you can use screen shots rather than clips,  or clip the content into separate notes and merge them later, 

Since the current software can merge two notes without a formatting disaster, it seems odd that appending is so difficult. It seems like basically the same operation.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, Bill C said:

it seems odd that appending is so difficult. It seems like basically the same operation.

A note is an HTML clip translated into Evernote's ENML code - a 'container' that safely isolates and displays the content in different OS's.  Merging two notes is like putting two boxes inside a larger one - still separated  Evernote would have to complete a clip,  create a note,  then merge the two notes (in which process the two single notes wind up in Trash and a new double note is created)...

Just seems a little complicated to do on the fly (and within a reasonable time) while clipping.  Not saying it won't,  or shouldn't be an option - just that it ain't the way things work now.

Notion does this perfectly. Evernote needs to copy exactly the behaviour: copy web address from browser, then copy to the specific part of note you want and then the program asks to paste a web clip or a simple address. No need for extra steps with dedicated notion or evernote clipper extension.

• Level 5

Copy an URL from the browser, got to note, position cursor, paste URL.

The disadvantage of holding the URL is that when it’s content changes, the content when posted is lost. Preview or not - if for example the article is moved behind a paywall, you bump right into it.

Using the web clipper, the content is preserved even if it is later removed, altered or blocked. This is why I always clip, except in the few cases when I want the fluid content for a reason. Then the above method works just fine - or on desktop the „bookmark“ option of the web clipper.

When I want to paste a web address then I prefer categorically the Notion's way.

When I want to paste a part of the web page and preserve the information, I will copy the exactly part of the page I want and I will not take a gamble with the evernote web clipper to guess what info is important to me. In my every day work I do it multiple times and I don't want to play with the evernote clipper and make make me lose my train of thoughts.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, angelk said:

I prefer categorically the Notion's way.

Sadly that's not available in Evernote - yet - and the current supporting vote of 2 in favour doesn't seem like it's in particularly heavy demand from other users.  The request has been made - we'll have to wait and see whether Evernote decides to do something about it.  Meantime there's work-arounds.

(By the way I sometimes collect multiple sections from one web page - I clip 'selection' to separate notes,  then merge the notes.  That will usually include the page URL)

On 12/24/2022 at 2:12 PM, PinkElephant said:

Copy an URL from the browser, got to note, position cursor, paste URL.

The disadvantage of holding the URL is that when it’s content changes, the content when posted is lost. Preview or not - if for example the article is moved behind a paywall, you bump right into it.

Using the web clipper, the content is preserved even if it is later removed, altered or blocked. This is why I always clip, except in the few cases when I want the fluid content for a reason. Then the above method works just fine - or on desktop the „bookmark“ option of the web clipper.

Clipping full articles all the time makes Evernote search slow and inefficient. Sometimes I just want a visual preview of the article without fetching all the content. Evernote has finally enabled embedding YouTube videos in notes. I hope rich previews for other URLs is going to happen soon.

• Level 5

An embedded URL (with or without preview) is exactly NOT what web clipping is all about.

The websites content can change, without any notification, while the URL remains the same. 

A web clip grabs the websites content as it has been the moment it was clipped. The URL is saved as well, but by saving real content, it allows to protect it from future changes.

Moved behind a paywall, heavily edited or even taken from the web - the web clip remains, even when the URL points into the virtual neverland. It is important to understand this difference to a normal URL collection.

• Level 5*

I'm confused.  Copy to clipboard is a feature of all browsers and operating systems.  Copy to clipboard (Ctrl+C for me..) then new note (I know there's a shortcut for that...) and Paste,  and Bob is your elderly male relative...  Simples,  no?